Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Build Question and Report
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
azbill
As an insurance policy, I am having the engine that I bought from stromberg.gif Steve Stromburg completely disassembled.

We have found some issues. Excess side play on one of the connecting rods, some of the case bolts missing, over tightened, and some not tightened at all. I don’t think the rods were refurbished. We will be taking them out and throughly go over them. White lithium grease is everywhere. The oil pump was had a fiber gasket and an o-ring seal and the screen was not installed.

The heads look good we will be flow testing and cmpletely look them over in detail. There are stainless steel valves - 48mm exhaust with 44 or 45mm intake with heavy duty springs (double springs) and the lifters are ceramic. He used standard adjustment screws. I am wondering if the adjustment screws should be replaced with 911 swivel screw?

What are your suggestions? Thank God I took the extra step to open this engine up. It would have been a bigger mess if I had just run it as a “turn key”. To say the least this was one sloppy engine build. Thanks

Azbill
Aaron Cox
doubt it has 48mm exhausts... prolly 48 intakes and 38 exhausts (biggest ive seen done)

to go swivel feet you need 1.7 rockers....and machine them.

what oil pump did he use? no watch this. pull it and see the TANG that goes into the cam.... is it nearly non existant? unsure.gif

take pics. EVIDENCE
Aaron Cox
is the tang filed down WAY too much like this on another SS motor?
SLITS
Bill, Bill, Bill....... slap.gif

I am actually sorry you had to be on the receiving end!
azbill
Aaron
Your right the 48's are the intake - we tried to measure the exhaust and they are 44 or 45. I'll have the look into the oil pump issue - will let you know. I need to relearn to attach pictures. Will do it soon.

Aaron Cox
here is the easiest way to upload multiple pics in a POST

shrink em all to 640x480 or 800x600, and upload them all to your blog.
then use
CODE
[img]www.your-picture's-weburl-from-your-blog.com[/img]

do it for every pic. works great. called Hot-linking from your blog smile.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 4 2005, 04:34 PM)
is the tang filed down WAY too much like this on another SS motor?

Andy photo, if you stare at it long enough you can see Jesus kissing Mary M.

John w00t.gif
azbill
Here are the pictures.
azbill
One of the heads
azbill
The bottom of the case
Aaron Cox
2056 or 2270??
azbill
2056 with a web 86 cam and Emarld fuel injection
Twystd1
What the FUCH does it take to stop this guy from selling "BUILT" engines?

Steve, if your reading this. Stop doing this to our clan.

Your pissing me off.

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
agree.gif werd.

when did you guys purchase this? before or after alot of the steve stromberg stuff came to light on this bbs, along with STF, and pelican.

if he has no more customers....he wont exist. please spread the word.
AA
azbill
I bought the engine after the the stuff hit the fan it was like pulling hens teeth the thing here. I am not going to go into the the long long story. Everything has been said about this guy. Going into the details will just get me more upset and loss a few more nights sleep. headbang.gif
Jake Raby
WOW...
Not suprised the least bit...

48mm valves on the intake with a web 86?? I don't run an intake valve bigger than a 44mm even on a 2700cc engine. Fact is that a 48mm intake and a correct port to match it will outflow the exhaust side no matter what you do without some VERy serious work, thats almost nil on power gain... Those hads undoubtedly have imbalanced I/E ratios and when you flow them I'm SURE you'll see this- I doubt they are a 65% combination. You can make the situation better by running a huge amount of split duration and even some split lift on the exhaust side of the camshaft. So many people ruin heads this way that I even developed a couple of cams especially to make the arrangement work better... I can hook you up with one if you want that will work excellent with those ceramic lifters....

Take that engine 100% apart and scrutenize EVERYTHING.... Leave no stone un turned!

Also double check the piston/cylinder clearance as I doubt that the dimensions were adjusted before those coatings were applied and thats a MUST!

Sorry to see another statistic, they are abundant lately... At least you were smart and tore it down before it ever fired up!

Some people are not that lucky-

(its hell when an engine that has never been fired up has to be rebuilt)

If you want a list of things that are an absolute must to check, PM me and I'll hook you up...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.