Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: redoing dash face
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ein 6er
do you cut the fabric to fit the plates ... ( i think not because of shrinkage) ...or .... wrap the fabric around all 4 sides of the plates and use double sided tape on the wrap around side , or use spray adhesive and wrap the sides? and then use the dbl sided tape to stick the plates to the dash frame?

TIA!!
McMark
Stock is glued directly to the plates, except for the glove box door which is wrapped around three edges. The plates are then double-sided foam taped to the dash.
jd74914
So, if one were to make a dash face out of brushed Aluminum or something like that, all you would need to do was pull off the metal pieces and their backetweave and make the template that way.

Are the metal backing pieces only the size of the dash we see? They do not extend into the sides or top of the dash? And they are only taped on from the factory?

cool.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Dec 6 2005, 02:13 PM)
So, if one were to make a dash face out of brushed Aluminum or something like that, all you would need to do was pull off the metal pieces and their backetweave and make the template that way.

Are the metal backing pieces only the size of the dash we see? They do not extend into the sides or top of the dash? And they are only taped on from the factory?

cool.gif

but they are also 2 pieces around the column... and seperate at the radio plate....

i dont like seams in metal... do you?

a few people are working on this....
jd74914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 6 2005, 04:20 PM)
but they are also 2 pieces around the column... and seperate at the radio plate....

i dont like seams in metal... do you?

a few people are working on this....

I hate seams and basket weave is kinda outdated.

BTW I meant taking them off and laying the out, and measuring without the seams. wink.gif

Anyways, is the dask face only what you see and nothing more or are there parts hidden in the vinyl parts of it?
tat2dphreak
BTDT: wink.gif

user posted image

jd74914
Thanks. Thats answers my question cool.gif
ein 6er
jim,

on my -6 the plates did extend up behind the dash pad, but not by much, (see pic). i needed to take the knee pad off so i could pull the plates down a little to get them out.

others have done what you want to do. maybe they will offer you their experience.

doug
jd74914
QUOTE (ein 6er @ Dec 7 2005, 07:00 PM)
jim,

on my -6 the plates did extend up behind the dash pad, but not by much, (see pic). i needed to take the knee pad off so i could pull the plates down a little to get them out.

others have done what you want to do. maybe they will offer you their experience.

doug

Thanks for the information. I actually took off the plates on my /4 today and they were a hair longer like you stated

By any chance does anyone have accurate measurements of the face? ph34r.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Dec 7 2005, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (ein 6er @ Dec 7 2005, 07:00 PM)
jim,

doug

Thanks for the information. I actually took off the plates on my /4 today and they were a hair longer like you stated

By any chance does anyone have accurate measurements of the face? ph34r.gif

welcome to my project....

i need to score a dash frame and make some sketches....

AA

user posted image
jd74914
Cool. I'm making the sketches now and drawing them up (CAD obviously). I think I'm going to get a few of them cut when I finish.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Dec 7 2005, 05:52 PM)
Cool. I'm making the sketches now and drawing them up (CAD obviously). I think I'm going to get a few of them cut when I finish.

i think Mattr has teh CAD file for it.....

i pm'd david lee in texas, to see if its something he could develop...while he is doing radio plates and stuff.

i want just a gloss black or dull aluminum dash....with no seams....... and a basic radio opening...
jd74914
I have to do a production product for my latest CAD class, so I was thinking of just making a complete dash face. and seeing if anybody wanted one.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Dec 7 2005, 05:58 PM)
I have to do a production product for my latest CAD class, so I was thinking of just making a complete dash face. and seeing if anybody wanted one.

how will you cut them?
remember, you have to pull the steering column shroud/cover thing to take that measurement of those radii and openings....
jd74914
I know. I'm pulling it later this week. They *will* be laser cut.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Dec 7 2005, 06:04 PM)
I know. I'm pulling it later this week. They *will* be laser cut.

sign me up for one like i posted.

no splits, no seatbelt warning....and the extra hole for the wiper/light switch....

16 ga steel?
jd74914
I was thinking of Aluminum.

When I finish the design and officially get a prototype I will post it here on the board, so everyone can see it. The deletes are really easy to do, so I think i can customize them pretty easily.
Aaron Cox
im down like a clown.....

charlie brown
jd74914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 7 2005, 08:13 PM)
im down like a clown.....

charlie brown

wacko.gif huh.gif
VaccaRabite
Its funny,

I was thinking about doing my dash face in cherry or walnut. And doing the same for door panels. Get some wood trim action going.

If you would be willing to plot your dash measurements and send them to me, that would be awesome.

The door panels would be really easy, just trace the fibreboard panels and band saw them out. Cake really.

Zach

jd74914
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Dec 7 2005, 08:16 PM)
Its funny,

I was thinking about doing my dash face in cherry or walnut.  And doing the same for door panels.  Get some wood trim action going.

If you would be willing to plot your dash measurements and send them to me, that would be awesome.

The door panels would be really easy, just trace the fibreboard panels and band saw them out.  Cake really.

Zach

When I get the stuff I'll try to remember to send a copy to you (just no making other people copies please)

Thats you I made new door panels and a new petal board and passenger side kick board. Very very simple cool.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Dec 7 2005, 05:16 PM)
Its funny,

I was thinking about doing my dash face in cherry or walnut. And doing the same for door panels. Get some wood trim action going.

The door panels would be really easy, just trace the fibreboard panels and band saw them out. Cake really.

Zach

I like the wood dash look biggrin.gif

boxstr
A split over the steering wheel, after installation goes almost unseen. Plus it makes the install a lot easier, especially if you are using a stiff metal.
I have used one piece with a carbon fiber insert that I made, but it flexes and is easy to install over the steering column.
CCLINREINSERTANDSHORTENSTROKE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.