Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock sway bar shifting side to side
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marlow
What keeps the front sway bar centered? My sway bar seems to shift towards the passenger side of the car every time I've checked it. The drop link rubs against the strut housing. There doesn't appear to be anything missing that I can see. I've had to re-center it several times over the years -- I just wack it with a 5lb mallet and a block of wood until it's centered but it's annoying me now. Any ideas?
davep
There is nothing to really keep it centered. However, I think it would only walk if the forces on it are not even. Check the rubber bushings are in good shape. If the bar is stock, then the ends are square and should not try to go through the bushing. The lever arms may not be centered on the ends. Or something may be bent, putting an axial force on the bar in addition to the torque.
Marlow
The sway bar is stock and I replaced the drop link bushings about a year ago. When I had the gas tank out last year I looked the bar over and everything looked groovy. I double check what I've got, I just did a full brake/bearing job and still have the wheels off.
Aaron Cox
mcmaster carr has cool little clamps used to fit around a bar.

alot like a tarett bar
Marlow
Ok, finally got some pictures. Things just don't look right. This is the driver's side and the top of the drop link looks bent as well as the part that attaches to the sway bar.
Marlow
Closeup of driver's side.
Marlow
Passenger side not as bad.
Marlow
oops, no picture.
Marlow
The sway bar has been "walking" towards the passenger side of the car and with the driver's side hardware as bent as it is I'm not surprised now.
seanery
you may wanna replace the droplink on the driver side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.