Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at getting a 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
charliemonster42
I'm new to the boards, just been browsing around. I'm considering buying my friends 914 because I want a fun car. I sold my rabbit for a new gti, but it lacks the excitement of the old car, and I want to get back into something like it.

The car in question is a green 73 2.0. It does have rust in the usual places (battery tray and rocker panel). How hard is it to repair the rocker panel? There is a fairly decent sized hole in it.

The other main issue is the shifter. It has gobs of play. Even in gear, you can move the shifter around in a full 6-8" circle like you are stirring a pot. Any suggestions on what could be the issue?

Should these alone put me off buying it? Its only $400, but it runs fairly well, from what I've seen of it idling in the driveway. It sat for 8 years until it was bought by my friend, where it sat on their drive for another year, so it's going to need the basic restoration maintenance done too.

Thanks in advance.
-Charlie
Hammy
Welcome.
I'm not the most knowledgable here in the club, but here's what I have to say.
The rusted areas are fixable, depending on how bad it is. If you can, get a picture of the rust areas and post them on here. That'll give everyone a better idea on your situation.
The 73 2.0 is generally regarded as the most "desirable" of all the years, though it doesn't really matter. As for the tranny thing I have no idea, so others will answer that.. Though i don't think all of much should put you off from buying it for $400. smile.gif
charliemonster42
Thanks for the reply. The whole only being $400 is what is really keeping me interested. I have looked at others on craigslist, and the cheapest runners are still a grand or more, so 400 is a steal. I will take pics tomorrow when I go and look at it. I haven't seen it in a while, so I'm not sure how bad the rot is.
Andyrew
As for the shifter.. A new set of shift bushings will fix that problem.

They can be ordered through Pelicanparts.com or any of the major providers...

If it runs... buy it for 400... if you dont like it... sell it for 800.
Twystd1
Hello and welcome to the craziest bunch of car owners in the world.

I suggest you use the search funtion at the top of the page.

Put in things like SHIFTER REPAIR or SHIFTER BUSHINGS.

Read till you can't see anymore...

This help US help YOU as you can now ask the right questions in a more technical way...

This will really make your life easier...

And buy all means buy the teener... The parts are worth more than 400 bucks.

Stick around and the crew will be here to help you tomorrow.
In the mean time... Do all the homework you can on the shifter issue via the search function.

AND GET A MANUAL.. You can get them online or at the library if needed for the short term...

And most of all... Welcome aboard and don't take this place to seriously.. we are here to have fun, learn and teach and most of all... Just be guys..

Twystd1
Twystd1
Before I forget... Do you know a computer geek named Robert (BOB) Dianise up in Pleasinton?

Just thought I would ask....

Twystd1
charliemonster42
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Nov 5 2005, 02:06 AM)
Before I forget... Do you know a computer geek named Robert (BOB) Dianise up in Pleasinton?

Just thought I would ask....

Twystd1

no, I dont, but my friends dad is named Robert (Bob) Cooley, funnily enough. I did find a pic of the car, but its not a very good one, as far as appraising the car goes.

Regarding a manual, which is the best one to get? I heard that Haynes manuals are the one for this car, but all my previous experience with them has led me to believe they are about as useful as a waterproof teabag. The Bentley was the one for the VW's. I shall have to look for one from him for this car.

edit: there was supposed to be a picture in here somewhere... user posted image
Twystd1
Haynes, Bentley and The 914Club will get you pretty much everything you need...

And since the car is a 1975....
You can tweak it anyway you want and NEVER worry about smog....
FOREVER .........................(or until they change the law again) ohmy.gif

So there ya go.... By the way... if isn't a total rust bucket... I'll give 700 for it. wink.gif

Regards to you...
Your family,
and all the jack stands you are about to purchase. rolleyes.gif

By the way... repairing rust is really fun... headbang.gif .. smash.gif .. happy11.gif

Twystd1
ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
charliemonster42
Well, I've got 4 stands already, which is enough for the car.... How many for the engine? hehe...

And on that note, it is time for me to go collapse on my bed....

Night

Thanks for all the input guys.
bd1308
look...

out of all the cars i've ever DRIVEN or RODE in....I have enjoyed the 914 out of every car. I personally drove a Jeep Wrangler, and have rode in a BMW 7-series, Jaguar, Land Rover, etc. etc. and I still love the 914. I turned down the jag and the rover for the 914.

it is real easy to work on...everything is pretty simple if you take time.....

ever since my engine swap and the fuel line trouble, the car has been there EVERYTIME i needed it.

$400 is what I paid for my parts car. If you have this offered for $400, grab it FAST! my car had no engine, no tranny, no interior....and rotted suspension console.

enjoy!

b
motorhead
Looks like a steal for 400 bucks. A word of caution though.....It will be the most expensive 400 you ever spend. I bought my '76 in 1988 for 3500 bucks, I've put another 4K into it, and if I were not planning to sell it I would probably sink another 4K into it to really trick out the suspension and brakes.

That being said, you will never regret buying it. I've owned cars that were faster, but never had one that made me smile every time I drive it. The grin factor is huge.

The folks on this forum are the best. I only recently found out about the club, If this kind of thing had been around in '88 I would have had a much easier time with my car. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and everyone is willing to share it. Buy it, and don't look back! beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
Is that the original paint? (original color? ) wub.gif I want one that color with the plaid interior. It looks like someone started to mess it up with that lipstick red color sad.gif Let me know if it turns out to be more work than you want to do. And don't mess up the color. aktion035.gif driving.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Nov 5 2005, 06:29 AM)
Is that the original paint? (original color? ) wub.gif I want one that color with the plaid interior. It looks like someone started to mess it up with that lipstick red color sad.gif Let me know if it turns out to be more work than you want to do. And don't mess up the color. aktion035.gif driving.gif

I agree.. Sweet color for the 914. Good luck and keep a swear jar handy. wacko.gif
charliemonster42
The lipstick red is primer from a dent repair. My friend started doing bondo work on the car, filling up shallow dents and the holes from the corner markers.

Going to look at it today, will take pics.

I'll keep ya posted!
Gint
Grab it.

Or tell me where it's at and I will. wink.gif
Trekkor
Buy, Buy ,Buy!

The rust repair is no problem and if it runs well, you'll be very happy.

I like the Riv's, BTW, despite what others may say.

Yes, more pics and BUY it!

KT
Mueller
there is a good number of 914 owners in the Pleasanton and Livermore area, I pass thru there on my commute....

To get a general idea on parts and prices, go to pelicanparts.com

not all parts are as expensive as listed since there are more than one vendor and sometimes a used part will suffice.

the only correct way to fix rust is to cut in out and weld in a replacement part..the rocker covers just unbolt and are no big deal, it's area behind the rocker covers that you need to be concerned about, mostly the jack posts and under the battery.

bd1308
riv's are tasty!

i like that car. I have wiper arms if you need them.

b
charliemonster42
Well, I've got pics of the car, just on my friends camera because the batteries were dead on mine. It runs fine, it started right up. The hell hole is fairly solid. The inner rocker is rusted quite nicely by the jackpoint on the side. It is actually a 70, so it has the tail shift. What engine size is the 70?

The passenger side suspension console is fine, no rust there. Minimal rust in the trunk floor. Needs seats and carpet, theres no carpet, and the seats have seen better days. Headlights don't pop up, so I need to look into fixing that.

Needs paint because it has a few primer patches from where they bondo'd dents in the fenders.

Now its up to my dad to decide whether or not he wants it sitting outside his house.
Hammy
1.7 engine for the 70.
pete-stevers
ok.. ok... are you crazy getting a 914...., the motors are weak, how are you going to convince your wife that you need to six it, or fix it...yes they go round corners like nothing else...but are you ready for the commitment?? I mean will you still love her when she lets you down? will you still be commited when they say "hey Nice Volkswagen" or "thats not a real porsh"?
Are you prepared to forgo going to church every sunday...to work out in the shop on the car....even worse, can you say no to the boys on friday nite to spend time with your new found love? hate it or love it, they both will consume you!
welcome aboard...nobody told me this stuff before i got mine....and if sombody told me that is what if would be like ...i would have told them to screw off....but it is true
Get the damn car and welcome aboard biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
Welcome to the club! I live in Discovery Bay and Danville so I drive through P town just about every day. Let me know if I can help you with anything!

Buy It!!! A running 2.0 motor is worth that much or more! Is it still FI?

Jeff
charliemonster42
So, I got pictures taken. The rust isn't as bad as I remember, but it's still not good.

The Hell Hole:
user posted image

The Trunk:
user posted image

The Pass. Side:
user posted image
You can see the worst rust in the back corner of the rocker. You can see through it... Terrible? Saveable? Driveable?

pete-stevers
i have seen worse ...witha bit of time and a welder you should be able to put it togather...
SirAndy
hellhole and pass. long look pretty bad. repairable? yes. a good welder, $$$ and time and you can fix that.

the long is the spine of your car, this will *not* be a cosmetic repair. you'll need to brace your car while welding, otherwise it'll distort the frame and nothing will fit right.

having said that, there are a few threads here that explain those exact repairs ...

good luck!
smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.