Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Putting a hole in the firewall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michel richard
I know this is a little bit controversial (sp?), but I have noted that several GT cars seemed to have had this hole, and it certainly made life easier in my previous /4 conversion, so I decided to put an inspection port in my firewall. See the /6 restoration I'm doing:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=34896&hl=

First, I cut a cardboard template for the hole:
michel richard
Then I drilled a 7/8 th inch hole in each corner, using a bi-metal hole saw.
michel richard
I then cut out the hole, using a 4 inch cutoff blade on a small 4 inch (D'oh!) grinder, to make this rough hole:
(please note the PMO carbs in the background)
michel richard
On the engine side, I spot-welded some 6 mm fender nuts:
michel richard
And I made the closing piece of thick gauge stainless steel. It may be that there is an advantage to using stainless, because it does not conduct heat as much as other steels, but I just used that because it's what I had.

Total time, probably about an hour. It helps massively that the engine was out, and the tub on a rotisserie.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers.

736conver
Looks good. I have been debating if i want to go the same road.
michel richard
I'm not sure it's really necessary, but if your engine is not fully dialed-in, and if you expect to have to fiddle with your distributor, the hole helps a lot. This will be my case.
Plus, if you break your fan belt a long way from home, on a dark road, it makes a huge difference (this very scenario happened to a friend).

M
J P Stein
You're doomed.....DOOMED TO A FIRERY DEATH....and that's a
REAL 6 too. BLASPHEMY....AUGGH GAG AUK.... Get the CW police....arrest this man....remove him from the gene pool!

OK, that's done. Move along...nothing to see here.
michel richard
J P,

Please don't choke to death ! It can be undone, you know. Just a matter of butt-welding a patch in, sanding, and painting.

Still, I'll keep it for a bit.

Cheers,

Michel
thesey914
Another fingernail trimmer,
I can see the wisdom in this and will cut my firewall....just dont fancy sticking my hand through to twist the distributor while the fans spinning.
joea9146
I do not regret having one also... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.