Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT style oil line routing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michel richard
As part of my /6 restoration, I decide that if I run a front cooler, I'd like to run the lines to it GT style.

Here's the main retoration link:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=34896&hl=

I showed in a previous thread how I began to cut off the supports on the drive side outer longitudinal:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=40719&hl=

Here's the followup. I cutoff the front-most support entirely. Please note my mistake: this support does not extend all the way to the outer longitudinal. A chunk of the cut that I made was into steel that will remain:

michel richard
I then cut the actual hole, first a couple of 1.5 inch holes into the long, then a cutoff saw and some files. Note that I initially cut too far back and that I cut into the warm-air conduit. That will need fixing.
Also, the hole itself is certainly not pretty. But I want to make it a point to show my good moves as well as my not-so-good ones. Perhaps somebody else will find my mistakes useful.
In any event, here's the hole:
michel richard
And the hole I drilled in the inner long. This is much easier, because I was able to drill a pilot hole into the inner long, from the outsede.

michel richard
Thee is then a hole that needs to be drilled next to the pedal cluster:
michel richard
And finally, one hole into the front luggage compartment.
One worry that I had was how to deal with the front bulkhead, but I found that it is not a problem. There is a clear path from the "pedal cluster hole" to the "front luggage compartment hole"
The followign picture is taken from inside the front luggage compartment, looking towards the rear. The green area inside the hole is actually paint that is inside the cockpit, where I had a light for this picture.
michel richard
OK, so the picture may be a bit too much of a close up. I'll try and take another one tomorrow, to show where this hole is.

This part of the work was a little more nerve wracking, because I started with a bit of a mistake, and because it's a little bit harder to figure out where to put the holes.

Finally, I made a shut-piece for the hole on the outer long. I will obviously have to customize this when I put the oil lines in.

Jeroen
nerve wreckin' when you get at that "point of no return"
keep up the good work!
michel richard
Here's a picture of the luggage compartment hole, from further back:

michel richard
And there's always a little more work to do. I added some captive nuts so that the oil lines can be fixed down securely to the longitudinal.. Not real pretty, but it'll work. Also, I closed the jackpoint.

michel richard
There is one captive nut here, it's the small piece of steel that is welded on top of the longitudinal. You will note, of course, that I fairly lathered the POR 15 on.

Once again, not pretty, but this part hides under the outer longitudinal, and I'm not building a concours car.

Michel Richard
jdlamonica
Not pretty is an understatement. Somebody should take away anything sharp from you. Remember the old saying. "measure twice cut once"
michel richard
QUOTE (jdlamonica @ Nov 6 2005, 03:57 PM)
Not pretty is an understatement. Somebody should take away anything sharp from you. Remember the old saying. "measure twice cut once"

Thank you for your support.
brant
was your shell dipped.....?

I'm wondering because of the lack of undercoating inside some of the frame and panels.

brant
Trekkor
It takes courage to start. Glad you're doing it!
thanks for showing the pics as well.

KT
914Timo
Looks good !!

I removed the jacking point. It helped a lot to route the pipes.

michel richard
QUOTE (914Timo @ Nov 7 2005, 12:38 AM)
Looks good !!

I removed the jacking point. It helped a lot to route the pipes.

Timo,

Thanks for your pics. Did you bend your lines yourself ? They look like brass, can you say exactly what you used ? i.e. diameter, wall thickness, end fittings, alloy ?

Thanks

Brant:

I did not have the tub dipped, and I don't think it had been dipped when I got it. Cutting those openings did make me realize that I should really try to do something about rust-proofing some of the more important "inside" parts, such as the longitudinals, etc . . . See my main restoration thread for a detailed sequence of what I've done.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=34896&hl=

Cheers,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.