Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Club events at military facilities
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chuckster
I am looking for clubs such as SCCA or marque clubs ie. PCA that are using a military base or fort for solo or wheel to wheel events. Our local SCCA and PCA have been using a naval anex air field in Corpus Christi for 13years for both solo and club racing. This came to sudden stop in March '03 when the war with Iraq began. Our hope is that if there are other clubs using a military facility there maybe hope for our club to start again.

If you have any contact info to a club RE or President please let me know.

Our local PCA has a web site Coastalbend PCA. My email address is cunow@ccinternet.net

Just an update on my own 914. No progress as of yet. The car is stored in a gargage I don't have access. sad.gif I stored it there to avoid the hurricane that skimmed close to our area.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Chuckster
Brad Roberts
Rob Ways/Demick ???

Did PCA get Alameda again ??

B
Lawrence
I can tell you that most open-to-public events are still being restricted on Army bases. Just getting in requires a civilian to get logged into the access database (and requires current Driver's License, registration and proof of insurance).

The Army has traditionally been happy to extend courtesy to various organization like the Boy Scouts, etc... but that also usually included soldiers to help support/overwatch the operation.

Within the next few weeks, over 80% of soldiers on Fort Riley will be in Iraq. I'm assuming that most military facilities are in similar circumstances.

Best advice I can give is to contact the Public Affairs Office at whatever installation you're interested in using.

-Rusty smoke.gif
URY914
We (PCA) use to use a huge conrete taxi way at MacDill AFB in Tampa. MacDill is the home base of CENCOM and Special Ops so needless to say we haven't been on base since 9/11.

Paul
maf914
Security on military bases has increased steadily since 9/11 and the Iraqi war. I think all military and DOD agencies are in the process of issuing new ID cards that can be scanned and checked against a central data base. Intrance into military facilities has been greatly restricted over the past year. Without the proper ID it takes some time to gain admittance. This will probably not change any time soon. For a long time there was almost free access to most military bases, but I think that is over for now. Unfortunately, I think auto clubs, and other groups, will have to find new venues for their activities.

Mike
Jeffs9146
I went to an event (Auto Show in Motion) put on at the Alameda Navel Air Base last weekend. Does that count? No restrictions, except DL and Sign a release, that I coud see.

Jeff
Demick
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 14 2003, 10:33 PM)
Rob Ways/Demick ???

Did PCA get Alameda again ??

B

I haven't heard the status of using Alameda this year. I just sent a note to the Autocross chairman on Wednesday asking about the status but haven't heard back yet. However, I don't believe that the area we use has anything to do with the military anymore. As far as I know, it's all owned and run by the city of Alameda now.

Demick
BravoHotel
I am the on-base coordinator for the AX at Columbus AFB in Columbus, MS. The event will be held on 20 Sept...the date has just been finalized so it may not be on the MS-SCCA region's website yet, but its a go. The cutoff for registration for non DoD types is 4 days prior to allow an "entry authorization list" to be created. Everyone is welcome...if you have questions let me know. Tell your friends! The one we had 2 months ago went so smoothly, that we were able to have 3 full run sessions.

BH
Chuckster
The difference and advantage we have had at the facility we used. Is this is an anex and there is no military personal or activity during the weekend. We were given access for 2 weekends a month for 13years.

Of course in the past the base commanders have been participants or active supporters of our club. We also donated many thousands of dollars to base and local charities.

The new base commander doesnt seem to feel there is any advantage to letting us use her base. Of course, there really maybe no upside for her.

Then again she says this is a decision that is made by her boss Rumsfield. But if there are other clubs using an active base or fort maybe there is hope for us.

Hey BravoHotel could I email you for some extra info on the base your club uses.

Thanks again for the info beerchug.gif

Chuck cunow@ccinternet.net
Lawrence
A quick thought...

You might want to see if there's a National Guard facility that may help you. Because they recruit from the local community, anything they can do to establish a positive community support image is to their benefit.

For most Guard units: Recruiting is Job-1. Sell it as an opportunity for them to set up a booth or something.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Chuckster
Lawrence that is an excellent thought. clap56.gif

Thanks for the suggestion. It may also provide reason for the base commander to change her mind.

Chuckster
Chuckster
I want to thank everyone that helped us gather info on what clubs are using military facilities. And especially want to thank Deena Rowland smilie_pokal.gif at SCCA for her help. The list that I have compiled so far is:

Cabaniss Field NALF, Corpus Christi,TX
Columbus AFB, Columbus, MS
Libby Army Airfield, Sierra Vista, AZ
Mt Home AFB, Mt. Home, ID
Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, VA
Naval Base Coronado, San Diego, CA
Fentress NAS, VA

These are all the military facilities that have or are planning to run a solo or wheel to wheel events this year.

Please if you know of more please email me cunow@ccinternet.net.

Thanks again,

The Chuckster
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Chuckster @ Aug 28 2003, 04:48 AM)
I want to thank everyone that helped us gather info on what clubs are using military facilities. And especially want to thank Deena Rowland smilie_pokal.gif at SCCA for her help. The list that I have compiled so far is:

Cabaniss Field NALF, Corpus Christi,TX ...

Canabiss Field - well - no wonder.

oh. Cabaniss. nevermind
Aaron Cox
auto show in motion was also held at el toro AFB... closed now- im sure you could guve that one a try- areas of the base are up for sale wink.gif
echocanyons
Chuck,

I was so exctied when I moved down here because I heard that there were monthly DE's at cabaniss, Then when I moved down here they had stopped.
I hope that it gets resolved soon so I can join in on the action!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.