qa1142
anyone use this on their case?

What do you use where for rebuilds?

Case?
Jugs? rolleyes.gif love that word
pushrod tubes?
etc?

Mueller
what references are you using for the rebuild?

Jakes video, the Haynes manual, factory manual ?? or ??

qa1142
Reference? 30 years of working on cars including a 79 westfaila 2.0L rebuild

Plus I do have Jake's video

Plus air cooled vw manual

Plus hayes

Plus Brad Mayuer

What do you recommend? (or who)
Aaron Cox
use the raby vid
Jake Raby
I put a lot of effort into the video to cover the things that no manual covers... They don't show you hidden bolts that keep you from destroying your case!
sean_v8_914
Jake: is your avatar the face you made when you found the bolt behind teh flywheel?

PS. when is the T-4 HP trick video comming out?
DNHunt
I've used it several places. It sets when there is no air in contact with it so you can put it on and let it sit on unassembled parts for a little while. That makes it great for case hardware like washers nuts and bolts.

518 can allow you to seal without a gasket. That makes it great for a lot of appended stuff like cam plug, oil pump, oil filter housing, taco plate but, not the O-ring. Be aware once it's deprived of air it sets up pretty fast and it's a bitch to clean off of parts once it's set. Cleanup of unset stuff is a snap so you can do a real neat job.

Don't try to seal the case with it. It sets up too fast and it will be too thick. I think you will do better with something that doesn't harden. I've heard of Yamabond or Kuril K2 and a few others. I think Shoptalk Forums has a lot on this.

Great stuff.

Dave

KevinP
I've been using Yamabond #4 for the last 30 years and found that it works great on case halves. Easy to find and, I think bike cases take alot more vibrations and abuse than our TIV's.

------------------------------

KP
Jake Raby
DO NOT USE IT ON THE CASE!!!!!

Doing so will create a bond that will make your case halves virtually inseparable for 1200 hours- Thats what it's designed for in the Aviation world.

Curil K2 is my case sealant of choice...

BTW_ I'm only awaiting the artist to finish his part of my sealants guide, it should only be a few more weeks... I lost 40% of the guide when a power surge killed my entire network, it should have been done by now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.