Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V-Calipers are Here!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Eric_Shea
NEW V-CALIPERS ARE HERE!

The V-Caliper was designed to allow teeners the use of a vented rear rotor on their 4 or 5 lug cars (If you’re going to remain 4-lug you’ll need to have your rotors drilled for the 4 x130mm pattern). These are sold as completed calipers on an exchange basis and have all the features of our regular caliper rebuild service.

Here's what you get:

* Disassemble caliper
* Bead blast caliper to bare metal
* Replate with factory silver zinc plating.
* Hone the cylinders
* Polish Pistons
* Install piston and adjuster screw rebuild kits
* Lube and reassemble the caliper
* Install caliper spacers
* Special rotor spacer drilled for 4 or 5 lug applications
* Longer brake pad pins.

Pricing is $455.00 per pair plus core and shipping. I only sell these in pairs (obviously). Shipping is a flat $9.30 for Priority Mail to anywhere in the continental United States. For international orders you can still use the USPS link. Boxed weight is 17lbs. You can calculate postage from 84092 using this site USPS Shipping Calculator

This application will now use the standard 1970-1977 vented rear rotor. The vented rotor will need 4mm turned off the outside edge (8mm total) to work with the V-Caliper. We can supply new Zimmerman rotors for $75.00 each plus shipping.

PMB Performance - 1861 E. Gracey Lane - Sandy - UT - 84092
Call 801.674.3669
Eric_Shea
NEW V-CALIPER KITS ARE HERE!

The V-Caliper kit was designed to allow teeners the use of a vented rear rotor on their 4 or 5 lug cars (If you’re going to remain 4-lug you’ll need to have your rotors drilled for the 4 x130mm pattern). If you’re mechanically inclined and you want to rebuild your own calipers, here’s your money saving alternative.

These kits are designed to work on the 1973 through 1976 (late) calipers that use the machined caliper nose and hex bolts. The early through bolt hardware is no longer available in the States and would be cost prohibitive. Everything in this kit will work on an early caliper with the exception of the hardware.

The kit includes:

* (4) Caliper spacers (enough for two rear calipers)
* (8) Longer 11mm hex bolts.
* (8) Caliper seals.
* (4) Longer brake pad pins.
* (2) Rotor spacers drilled for 4 or 5-lug applications (vented rotors need to be drilled for 4-lug applications.)

Pricing is $225.00 per set plus shipping. Shipping is a flat $9.30 for Priority Mail to anywhere in the continental United States. For international orders you can still use the USPS link. Boxed weight is 1lbs. You can calculate postage from 84092 using this site USPS Shipping Calculator.

This application will now use the standard 1970-1977 vented rear rotor. The vented rotor will need 4mm turned off the outside edge (8mm total). We can supply new Zimmerman rotors for $75.00 each plus shipping.

PMB Performance - 1861 Gracey Lane - Sandy - UT - 84092
Call 801.674.3669
seanery
Those look nice eric!
grasshopper
nice drooley.gif
Eric_Shea
icon_bump.gif for Bryan.

These will work with your 911 rotors. You will have to mill 4mm off the edge of the rotors though. Hope that helps...

Eric
neo914-6
Eric,

I bought a set of your v-calipers from Mueller's "get out of 914's sale". Mike had to grind down part of my powdercoated trailing arm to allow one of the calipers to fit. He also added a bunch of washers to their mount. Is this to be expected?

Do you have pictures of them assembled on the trailing arm?
Eric_Shea
Mike had to grind down part of my powdercoated trailing arm to allow one of the calipers to fit. He also added a bunch of washers to their mount. Is this to be expected?

Nada.

The caliper spacers space the "nose" of the caliper out "away" from the trailing arm. The mounting surface will remain "exactly" the same as a standard 914 caliper (because it is).

We use to ship all of our calipers with the 10mm inner adjuster cover that is commonly sold as a replacement for the flawed factory 4mm hex cover. These stick out but... they would only effect the mounting if the caliper was mounted with them "on" and only on some "rare" occasions where the inner adjuster access hole tube was welded in a bit high at the factory. These are meant to be mounted through that hole anyway so... again, this would not necessitate any grinding of the arm. We now use a deep 5mm hex cover that looks factory but actually works. I like it a little better than the 10mm head style.

There is simply no need to grind the arm in any way, shape or form. This is a stock bolt up.

Now... regarding the washers: These kits come with rotor spacers (shown prominently above in each picture) that move the rotor out 4.88mm to center it in the now widened slot. We've had customers put the rotor spacers "on top" of the rotor vs. "underneath" the rotor where it is meant to go. This may be what happened. The proper mounting procedure is:

1. 5-lug hub
2. Rotor spacer on hub
3. Rotor on top of rotor spacer

There are two methods to align a rotor in a widened caliper; You either need to space the rotor out with the supplied spacers or you need to space the caliper back with washers or mounting ear spacers. I don't recommend the washers ear spacers because of clearance issues with these calipers (as you now know). Others have done them with no modifications needed.

From your comments above I can only assume that the rotor spacers were not used. That being the case, you would "have" to shim the caliper back 5mm hence the "bunch of washers" and hence the clearance problem with the control arm.

Mike's a smart cookie so I'm guessing that the extra 5mm under your rotor might have caused clearance issues with your wheel/tire combo necessitating the "other" method of spacing the caliper back. wink.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 14 2007, 09:57 AM) *

Mike had to grind down part of my powdercoated trailing arm to allow one of the calipers to fit. He also added a bunch of washers to their mount. Is this to be expected?

Nada.

The caliper spacers space the "nose" of the caliper out "away" from the trailing arm. The mounting surface will remain "exactly" the same as a standard 914 caliper (because it is).

We use to ship all of our calipers with the 10mm inner adjuster cover that is commonly sold as a replacement for the flawed factory 4mm hex cover. These stick out but... they would only effect the mounting if the caliper was mounted with them "on" and only on some "rare" occasions where the inner adjuster access hole tube was welded in a bit high at the factory. These are meant to be mounted through that hole anyway so... again, this would not necessitate any grinding of the arm. We now use a deep 5mm hex cover that looks factory but actually works. I like it a little better than the 10mm head style.

There is simply no need to grind the arm in any way, shape or form. This is a stock bolt up.

Now... regarding the washers: These kits come with rotor spacers (shown prominently above in each picture) that move the rotor out 4.88mm to center it in the now widened slot. We've had customers put the rotor spacers "on top" of the rotor vs. "underneath" the rotor where it is meant to go. This may be what happened. The proper mounting procedure is:

1. 5-lug hub
2. Rotor spacer on hub
3. Rotor on top of rotor spacer

There are two methods to align a rotor in a widened caliper; You either need to space the rotor out with the supplied spacers or you need to space the caliper back with washers or mounting ear spacers. I don't recommend the washers ear spacers because of clearance issues with these calipers (as you now know). Others have done them with no modifications needed.

From your comments above I can only assume that the rotor spacers were not used. That being the case, you would "have" to shim the caliper back 5mm hence the "bunch of washers" and hence the clearance problem with the control arm.

Mike's a smart cookie so I'm guessing that the extra 5mm under your rotor might have caused clearance issues with your wheel/tire combo necessitating the "other" method of spacing the caliper back. wink.gif

The grinding was done at one of the adjuster access hole tubes.

The spacers are correctly under the rotor yet still required a bunch of washers between the caliper and ear mount. Could it have the wrong type of rotor (thickness)?

I have a 911 hub set up, see this thread: arms

I'll get current semi-assembled pics this weekend...
Eric_Shea
The grinding was done at one of the adjuster access hole tubes.

No clue confused24.gif

Nothing in that kit would require that grinding. Grinding was needed because of those washers that were added. Now... I've seen access tubes welded in high before but, the fact is, from the mating surface of the caliper ears and the trailing arm back toward the trailing arm, this is nothing but a stock caliper.

The spacers are correctly under the rotor yet still required a bunch of washers between the caliper and ear mount. Could it have the wrong type of rotor (thickness)?

No. Wrong rotor thickness would probably not fit in the gap. There should be only about 2mm per side gap. More like a later model hub offset or 944 rotors. I don't know how far the washers are pushing the caliper back but, seeing as how you have clearance issues, I would say a LOT.

I would check two things:

1. Hub offset vs. a 914 hub. I can almost see it in that picture in the link. Those hubs are laying very flat but... that's a picture and I may be reading into it. Are they the later hubs with centering rings? I can't seem to make that out in the picture. If so, this is your problem. You'll find some threads here about 5mm spacers that have been manufactured to make them work. This would be my "first" guess. Later hubs need spacers to bring them out... otherwise you will have the problem you have.

2. If the hubs are correct I would then look at the rotors. Are we sure they are 911 rotors? They could be 944 rotors. They look identical to 911 rotors but are shallower making it necessary to space the rotor out and the caliper back.

Your opportunity (not a problem) is hiding in one of those two areas... wink.gif
Eric_Shea
I looked at the eBay picture again and I would almost bet on the hubs. In the picture you can see a bolt with washers strewn along the shaft. I'm betting the previous owner had the same problem.

neo914-6
Here's a better pic:

apparently 944 hubs
PRS914-6
I don't know if this will help you guys but look at this thread

I hope it helps

If the flanges have the hub centric lip, they most likely are machined for the wider bearing. I don't know if they ever made hub centric for the narrower width bearing that the 914 has
Eric_Shea
If the flanges have the hub centric lip, they most likely are machined for the wider bearing. I don't know if they ever made hub centric for the narrower width bearing that the 914 has

The diameter of the shaft (42mm) is the same from 914 to 911 to 944.
JazonJJordan
huh.gif Greetings Eric, any new possibilities?
Inventory Status/price?:__________Available/Out of stock/Discontinued? News? Just trying to round up resources and help your club business ventures;
Thanks- jzn shades.gif
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 6 2005, 02:06 PM) *

NEW V-CALIPERS ARE HERE!

The V-Caliper was designed to allow teeners the use of a vented rear rotor on their 4 or 5 lug cars (If you’re going to remain 4-lug you’ll need to have your rotors drilled for the 4 x130mm pattern). These are sold as completed calipers on an exchange basis and have all the features of our regular caliper rebuild service.

Here's what you get:

* Disassemble caliper
* Bead blast caliper to bare metal
* Replate with factory silver zinc plating.
* Hone the cylinders
* Polish Pistons
* Install piston and adjuster screw rebuild kits
* Lube and reassemble the caliper
* Install caliper spacers
* Special rotor spacer drilled for 4 or 5 lug applications
* Longer brake pad pins.

Pricing is $455.00 per pair plus core and shipping. I only sell these in pairs (obviously). Shipping is a flat $9.30 for Priority Mail to anywhere in the continental United States. For international orders you can still use the USPS link. Boxed weight is 17lbs. You can calculate postage from 84092 using this site USPS Shipping Calculator

This application will now use the standard 1970-1977 vented rear rotor. The vented rotor will need 4mm turned off the outside edge (8mm total) to work with the V-Caliper. We can supply new Zimmerman rotors for $75.00 each plus shipping.

PMB Performance - 1861 E. Gracey Lane - Sandy - UT - 84092
Call 801.674.3669

Eric_Shea
Thanks for this,

You can get kits:

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...563/5314821.htm

-or-

Complete calipers:

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...552/4782948.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.