Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V-Calipers and Kits...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
It took a while to source all of the parts and put everything together but... they're finally here. These are complete. Everything needed is included. $395.00

I recommend these for:

* Anyone going 5-lug and using a 911 front end with M, A or S-Calipers
* Anyone using Brads new front hubs with M-Calipers.

When going larger in the front (which is about the only reason for these) I would recommend replacing the stock proportioning valve with a standard T-Fitting.

In the Resource Section Now

Thanks!
Eric_Shea
Kits...
Aaron Cox
typical question - so lets get it out of the way

"Eric, What rotors would i use to utilize these vented rear calipers that retain stock parking brake capabilities?"

im guessing pre 74 911 rears?
Eric_Shea
It's listed on the resource thread but probably best stated here as well.

Yes, a 1970 - 1977 911 rear rotor is the proper match. We sell those as well...

The rotor edge may need to be turned.

Thanks AA.

E.
brp914
how about 914-6? The kits are for '73 - '76 calipers, but you say they can be used on early as well. I dont get what you mean about "machines caliper nose and hex bolts."
Eric_Shea
I corrected it to read "machined" caliper nose. The later calipers had the nose 1/2 of the caliper machined to accept the bolt with no nut.

The kit can theoretically be used on the early -4 caliper but one would have to find proper hardware. The cutouts on the early calipers are too small to accommodate a hex head bolt, hence the Ribe "through bolt" style fasteners. Those Ribe fasteners are NLA. You could possibly source an SAE equivalent but we went through that.

914-6 calipers are totally different. What you're asking for is a stock 914-6/GT caliper. We can build those as well. There is a small amount of custom machining for the -6 pad pins. We currently have spacers and hardware in stock for the factory GT calipers.

Hope that helps.
Eric_Shea
Here's a set of 914-6/GT calipers that we built for a customer with a factory GT
brp914
thanks, pant, pant...ahem wub.gif totally not needed for my driving habits, but they look cool and that matters.
pete-stevers
Eric hats off to you for putting that kit togather!! smilie_pokal.gif
914werke
So the spacers show holes for both 4 & 5 bolt pattern?
What about the rotor/hat set screws? sad.gif
Mabey I not understanding?
Aaron Cox
eric - do you have a pic of the actual rotor you use?

whats the thickness at the hub of the rotor compared to a standard /4 or .6 rear rotor (at the hub mounting surface)
Eric_Shea
So the spacers show holes for both 4 & 5 bolt pattern?
What about the rotor/hat set screws?  
Mabey I not understanding?

Rotor hat screws are different places on -4 hubs vs. 5-lug. Once they are drilled to 5-lug the -4 holes are of no use. The entire assembly would have to be redrilled and the hub needs to be retapped. Because of this, most people use open lug nuts to hold the rotor in place while setting the venting clearance. Once that is accomplished there is no further need for the hat set screw.

-4 cars could use the lug bolt to hold the rotor while adjusting. The vented rotor would have to be drilled for the 4x130 spacing for 4-lug applications. While performing this task the 4-lug hat set screw holes could be added to the spacer.

do you have a pic of the actual rotor you use?

No. I'll try to get you one tomorrow.

whats the thickness at the hub of the rotor compared to a standard /4 or .6 rear rotor (at the hub mounting surface)

7mm vs. 7mm
fiid
The kit would include the rotors right...?

I'm thinking..... Excellent work on putting this together.
bernbomb914
I would like to retain my 4 lug wheels, does this product work for me or will you create a package for the people who have improved the ft brakes and would like to balance the rears.

Bernie
Eric_Shea
Bernie,

Yes. That's why we made the spacer for 4-lug or 5-lug applications. I created this package for precisely those reasons (for the people who have improved the ft brakes and would like to balance the rears). The only problem is a 4-lug vented rotor.

You'd have to have a 911 vented rotor drilled to 4x130. Then you're good to go. I would think it would be a very simple and inexpensive process at any machine shop.

Brad and I discussed having a vented 4-lug rotor made but I think the interest would be a bit low for a mass produced run.

Should be easy.

Fiid...Rotor are roughly $140 a pair so at $175 it would be a really great deal. Sorry to say, rotors are extra.
davep
911 vented rotors have to be turned down in diameter to fit the 914/4 calipers. The 911 rotor is 8mm greater in diameter than the 914/4 rotor. Not only does the rotor not fit, but the extra weight is harmful and the extra surface area is, obviously, not under the pads. Reducing the diameter decreases the loss in acceleration you get from changing rotors; this is the flywheel effect, and the extra weight further out is the worst.
Mueller
You'd have to have a 911 vented rotor drilled to 4x130. Then you're good to go. I would think it would be a very simple and inexpensive process at any machine shop.

Bernie, I still owe you some money.....I can mill these out for you.....no charge, if you want to go that route, possibly you can have them dropshipped to me if you mail/internet order them and I'll UPS them to you once done.

I have no idea about the diameter issue Dave mentions....

E, those looks great !!!!!!
Eric_Shea
The rotor edge may need to be turned.

Thanks for your comments Dave. I generally look to you as being a knowledgable source on brake info.

What rotors do you recommend with your kits? You ad says they use 911 vented rotors right in the headline... and there's no mention of turning them or the "harm" they'll cause or any of this other negative stuff you just posted. Is there a secret rotor out there?

Let me know if you think I need to make some changes.

Thanks again,

E.
Aaron Cox
lol2.gif
davep
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Nov 8 2005, 04:37 PM)
What rotors do you recommend with your kits?

I give detailed info with my kit. I have written about the need to turn the rotors several times, and there is no way around it. I don't include the rotors normally due to the high cost of shipping back and forth plus customs charges taxes. For local people I can supply finished rotors and a complete install with their choice of pads. Four bolt pattern also if wanted.

For 914/6 calipers you may not need to turn the rotors, however, the 911 rotors are 4mm larger in diameter than the 914/6 solid rotors. I would still turn them down to match. I notice that different pins are required for the 914/6 caliper as opposed to the 914/4 caliper. Oh joy, another two parts to stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.