Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powdercoating calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I'm in the process of rebuilding my M calipers, and my rebuild kit didn't come with o-rings, so I can't split them. Can the o-rings in there handle 400 degrees? I know brakes get hot, but I don't know how hot.
bottomend
Breaks get really hot. I've read somewhere that the rotors can get up to TWICE that temperture! It didn't seem possible so, further investigation is needed....

Fro what I understand about powder coating, ( I've had the bumpers on my bus done) The powder sticks to the surface due to an electric charge. It would seem logical that the ENTIRE surface of the caliper would become coated. I'm not sure if they are able to mask off the areas you dont want coated.

Later!
Rusty
Short answer... yes.

Long answer... since you have the calipers off... if they were my calipers, I'd R&R the o-rings. Cheap insurance, and you can split the calipers and really flush them out and inspect.

-Rusty smoke.gif
TonyAKAVW
There's also the issue of brake fluid resistance. Some powders (most?) are disolved by brake fluid. Did you find some that is resistant?

-Tony
bernbomb914
you car buy caliper paint in a spray can that is designed to handle the heat

Bernie
914GT
Just powdercoat the whole thing like this ohmy.gif
user posted image

All kidding aside, don't bother powdercoating. Tony brought up a good reason. I powdercoated mine and brake fluid attacks the coating and softens it. Then it will look like crap. Just clean them up and paint with high-temp spray paint. I like the natural cast aluminum finish.
KevinP
I agree with Guy. Just clean them up and use a high temp paint. But if you really want to powdercoat them there are plenty of high temp colors available that are solvent resistent. I did some teflon (Dupont) calipers for a buddy' R-1 Yamaha, came out great and has been on there for 2 years. flag.gif

KP
bondo
Good points.. These are steel calipers, and my biggest concern is rust. Ideally brake fluid won't be getting on them, at least on the visible side. I'm just going for low gloss black, nothing fancy. Perhaps a good spraypaint would be best.
bottomend
VHT actually makes high temp brake caliper paint. Maybe it has someting added to it that resist's the corrosion effects of the fluid.
lagunero
The only problem you may encounter with splitting the calipers is finding the correct bushings or o-rings. If you find them great. The fluid temp can reach over 400 so powdercoating should not hurt them (powdercoaters have said that the powders are usually cooked at around 300). After powdercoating many items on my car I have to say that painting is the way to go.
zymurgist
I used a 2-part brush-on paint on my Corvette calipers. The finish is hard and glossy, like powdercoat, but brake fluid doesn't attack it. You can get this paint from Pelican Parts, Eastwood, etc.

Caliper Paint - Pelican
jim_hoyland
Agree, the two part paint is easy to apply and the glossy appearance lasts a long time.
davec
If your powder coater "burns off" the old paint, temps can reach 700 degrees. Powder coating is applied at between 300-400 degrees, depending on the finish that is selected (some clear coats over paint require higher temps). However, I wouldn't take the chance that your rubber seals would hold up to that kind of temperature for so long (usually 20-30 minutes). All of the orifices can be masked off, including bolt holes, to prevent the spread of powder in unwanted areas.

Your powder coater (or you , if a do it your selfer) should not take the chance that the fluid that remains could ignite! There are even cases of where a small amount of liquid that was trapped inside the unit could blow up the piece being heated. Ask me how I know! Can you say shrapnel? Can I spell shrapnel?

Spend the extra $10 per wheel and rebuild them while they are apart! This is common sense, and good insurance against future brake failure.
mightyohm
What is a good source for the orings?

What are they made of?

vesnyder
I used the two part brush on paint and it still looks good after several years of Auto-X ing and DE's. I also used some cheap stickers I bought from a loacl sign shop and they are holding up well - take a look ...

Eric_Shea
That's a funky-ass rear suspension. What kinda 914 is that? biggrin.gif (looks great)

I stock the O-rings if you need them.

You can plate them as well without splitting them. Then they would look like V's 911 swing arms above. Plating and powdercoating don't raise the temps any more than a standard romp to get bread and milk.

I'd recommend the paint if you want a certain color. Cheaper and easy.
Britain Smith
I powdercoated my Carrera calipers. It is not the o-rings that are hard to find (cheap, thanks Eric Shea), it is the correct ribex bolts. I bored my our to fit ARP bolts, made the job a lot harder than it should have been. But in the end, they look great.

-Britain

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.