Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehick72
I just replaced my clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing. It works great but I have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to be able to shift. The pelican article says "To make the clutch grab high on the clutch pedal, loosen the screw on the clutch cable.". That doesn't make sense to me. Anyway how do I adjust this thing?

Eric
Dr. Roger
laugh.gif
I noted you comment on my calendar thread so i thought i'd help out a little here. wink.gif

first thing: tighten the nut/adjuster on the end of your cable to bring the pedal freeplay to about 3/4".

this should also bring the clutch engagement point to about 2/3's to 3/4 out on the pedal.

experiment if you have to. that's what i ended up doing.

i also noticed that with my new clutch cable, it had a certain stretch when being broken in and required adjustment after the first 50 miles of city driving....

also: there is a known issue with clutch tubes corroding at several points inside the shift tunnel which reduces clutch action. i havn't checked mine because it seems to engage just fine but you should be aware of it incase of any weird anomalies in yours...

beerchug.gif
hope this helps.

cheers,
Roger
Marlow
You adjust the cable at the transmission end. There is a threaded portion at the end of the clutch cable where it attaches to the fork. Tightening the nuts there (there should be two, one for adjustment and the other as a locknut) will bring the clutch action towards the top of the pedal. After adjusting you should have about 1/2"- 3/4" of free play when you PULL on the clutch pedal (most cars you check freeplay by pushing on the pedal).
SirAndy
QUOTE (ehick72 @ Nov 7 2005, 08:23 AM)
That doesn't make sense to me.

if you back off the (double!) 11mm nuts on the transmission end of the clutch cable, you're effectively making the cable *longer*, thus moving the point on your pedal where the clutch engages *up* towards you ...

wink.gif Andy

PS: don't forget to tighten the double nuts when you're done ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.