Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick release steering wheel as
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
I want to eventually get a quick release steering wheel for my street car for added theft insurance. But is it worth the money? I mean could the car still be driven or steered using vise grips or something common? Also, who has the cheapest set up that will work with my Momo Prototipo? Any pictures of the thing installed but without the wheel installed?

Doug C
Mueller
anything is possible, but I'd be more worried about the wheel getting stolen if you don't remove it yourself for some reason...
DougC
I'm mostly worried about the car when it's parked in my garage at work. I'll never be taking my car and parking it at the mall, so that's not a worry. I think I could get in the habit of toteing it around if it gave me enough piece of mind.

Doug C
SirAndy
QUOTE (DougC @ Nov 7 2005, 02:56 PM)
I want to eventually get a quick release steering wheel for my street car for added theft insurance.

not street legal, for racing only ...

wink.gif Andy
Andyrew
Theres a 951 driver with a euro 951 race car that always takes off his steering wheel whenever he went inside on one of our pizza drives.. never heard anything about it.
Mueller
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Nov 7 2005, 05:08 PM)
Theres a 951 driver with a euro 951 race car that always takes off his steering wheel whenever he went inside on one of our pizza drives.. never heard anything about it.

if someone wants the car bad enough, they'll figure out a way to get it....
bernbomb914
ebay $10.95 lose self canceling turn sig. needs momo adapter, makes it nice to work under dash
Bernie
Rider914
Every day you would hear "did you loose the rest of the car?" or "where's wonder woman?"

Put in a hidden kill switch, it saved my truck.
ppickerell
My b-inlaws type 3 was a victim of attempted theft at my shop a couple of months ago and his kill switch defeated the bastard who ripped up his steering column.
drew365
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 7 2005, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (DougC @ Nov 7 2005, 02:56 PM)
I want to eventually get a quick release steering wheel for my street car for added theft insurance.

not street legal, for racing only ...

wink.gif Andy

Same thing for harness seatbelts. But I've never had the CHP mention them when they stop me to admire my car and driving capabilities. cool.gif
jd74914
I always wondered why racing harnesses and quick release wheels are not street legal? If they are good enough for the track where you are subject to worse accidents than can normally happen on the road, why aren't they good for the road. screwy.gif
machina
I always take my wheel with me but I rarely take the car anywhere accept the racetrack. driving.gif
smooth_eddy
So what happens to the horn with a quick release set up? Also, do you take it into Starbucks and the movie theater when you remove the steering wheel? huh.gif Sure would make climbing in and out a lot easier. Eddy
Mueller
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 7 2005, 06:33 PM)
I always wondered why racing harnesses and quick release wheels are not street legal? If they are good enough for the track where you are subject to worse accidents than can normally happen on the road, why aren't they good for the road. screwy.gif

they are not subject to the same testing requirements as the OEM items....quite a bit of "race" items you see on eBay shouldn't even be used for racing....
Allan
Back in 1971, my uncle and I drove his VW Manx (SP?) dune buggy all the way from Lake Isabella to Bakersfield (40 miles of twisties) with nothing more than a pair of vise-grips.

It was back when everybody was into those chrome spoked crappy foam padded steering wheels and somebody stole the wheel.
jd74914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Nov 7 2005, 08:47 PM)
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 7 2005, 06:33 PM)

they are not subject to the same testing requirements as the OEM items....quite a bit of "race" items you see on eBay shouldn't even be used for racing....

I didn't mean the ones you see on eBay. smile.gif I meant the real (example: Schroth) ones that are FIA certified, why would those be bad on the street. Thats what I'm confused about? I would think their testing would be more stringent that OEM testing.
xitspd
QUOTE (DougC @ Nov 7 2005, 01:56 PM)
I want to eventually get a quick release steering wheel for my street car for added theft insurance. But is it worth the money? I mean could the car still be driven or steered using vise grips or something common? Also, who has the cheapest set up that will work with my Momo Prototipo? Any pictures of the thing installed but without the wheel installed?

Doug C

ohmy.gif Mine are not cheap! 99.9% of the stuff on ebay is stromberg.gif
turbo914v8
I am currently using this system and love it. I think that it is street legal, you will have to check for your self. The great feature in my opinion is that you must use a key to release the wheel. Prevents unauthurised removal. Check it out.

Tekniq release wheel
xitspd
QUOTE (xitspd @ Nov 7 2005, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (DougC @ Nov 7 2005, 01:56 PM)

Doug C

ohmy.gif Mine are not cheap! 99.9% of the stuff on ebay is stromberg.gif

ohmy.gif Another view..............
DougC

Of course but this could eliminate some of the possible theaves, I think it may be woth while. Some of these guys may not even know removable steering wheels exist.

Xitspd - you say yours aren't cheap..do you sell them?

Turbo Paul - thanks for the link, those seem like what I'm looking for. Do you use one on a 914? If so, it looks like the price for the Momo one is about $170 but is there a hub adapter or something else that needs to be bought? I didn't see them listed but they were mentioned...how much for the 914?

Btw, I have no problem with carrying the wheel with me, I'll just slip it in my backpack with the rest of my junk.

Doug C
RON S.
Ebay has over 500 entry's under " quick realease hub"

I'm sure most are junk,as they are under $10.00.

Ron

Here's a sample.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-STEERIN...012194380QQrdZ1
DougC
Right, I've seen those but am always turned off to them by the gimicky looking/ricey looking ads.. was hoping someone could recommend one from a company that we've all heard of. I like the locking one from Tekniq and also the one xitspd pictured..

Xitspd - did you mention who made yours? Will it lock by any chance?

Doug C
meares
my hub was 125 sparco wheel 265 $110 labor even $500 for the whole thing on a street car
xitspd
QUOTE (DougC @ Nov 8 2005, 08:34 AM)
Right, I've seen those but am always turned off to them by the gimicky looking/ricey looking ads.. was hoping someone could recommend one from a company that we've all heard of. I like the locking one from Tekniq and also the one xitspd pictured..

Xitspd - did you mention who made yours? Will it lock by any chance?

Doug C

It has no provision for locking. I was designed for strength with racing in mind. I am going to start a new production run and should have them available at the start of next year.
DougC
ok, if I haven't bought something by then I'll look into getting one of yours. Let me ask this question though - Since I already have a Momo wheel mounted to my stock 914 collum will I need anything like an adapter or do I already have that part of the equation? I'd just need the quick release unit, right?

Doug C
xitspd
QUOTE (DougC @ Nov 8 2005, 08:51 AM)
ok, if I haven't bought something by then I'll look into getting one of yours. Let me ask this question though - Since I already have a Momo wheel mounted to my stock 914 collum will I need anything like an adapter or do I already have that part of the equation? I'd just need the quick release unit, right?

Doug C

You get the "pictured" system set up for a MOMO steering wheel. It is car specific.
xitspd
"The picture." Example 914 and 914-6 are two different models. The 914-6 has a different spline than the 914.
turbo914v8
QUOTE (DougC @ Nov 8 2005, 09:07 AM)

Of course but this could eliminate some of the possible theaves, I think it may be woth while. Some of these guys may not even know removable steering wheels exist.

Xitspd - you say yours aren't cheap..do you sell them?

Turbo Paul - thanks for the link, those seem like what I'm looking for. Do you use one on a 914? If so, it looks like the price for the Momo one is about $170 but is there a hub adapter or something else that needs to be bought? I didn't see them listed but they were mentioned...how much for the 914?

Btw, I have no problem with carrying the wheel with me, I'll just slip it in my backpack with the rest of my junk.

Doug C

Good day Doug,

Sorry for the delay responding to your questions. Man I just blinked for a moment and 3 days went by. Yes I am currently using the Tekniq on my 914. $170.00 + $20.00 for an adapter ring gets you everything that you will need to install it in the 914. This b$tch is strong. There is a race version but the only difference is the race version does not have the key locking system that the street version has. Added security each hub is made slightly different so that you cannot use a wheel from another Tekniq equipped car. Just in case the thief has a Tekniq wheel too. smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif

user posted image
user posted image
Brotherbob
Just a thought.
I'm using a grant steering wheel and hub with a " Grant no wheel no steal" on it.
It allows you to remove and lock the column with a key.
turbo914v8
Not a bad system either. Very similar to the Tekniq and only $140.00

Grant system
DougC
Someone asked about what happens to the horn..I was wondering that too.

Doug C
turbo914v8
Sorry thought I already answered that. The horn is removed with the wheel.
DougC
OK, so plug the horn in every time and unplug it everytime? Quick connectors in between the two I guess?

Doug C
turbo914v8
It’s a one-time connection by you. You connect the horn on the wheel as usual but the release hub has two connection buttons that make the contact for you. If you look at the pictures you can see the two connection buttons on the inside of the hub. It would be counter productive to have to disconnect the horn manually every time you removed the wheel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.