Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kill Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
okay, I know about the grounding points issue to stopping an engine cold in it's tracks.

but the downside is heating up that coil and having it blow up. I have points now (pertronix would have obvious problems with this).

does anybody know (i cant read wiring diagrams yet) which fuse trace and wire powers the coil? I know its unfused, so I guess I answered my own question...my gut feeling is that the only way to get to it is through the engine bay. But I could in therory put a kill switch in there.....

any thoughts?

b
Aaron Cox
you think someone is going to steal your car?

just pull the plug wire off your coil before you leave it wink.gif
Rider914
Switch the fuel pump if it is injected.
bd1308
its carb'd.

i could do the fuel pump, give em a hundred feet till the fuel in the bowls runs out. smile.gif

could unplug the coil.

i dunno. any other ideas?

b
Dr. Roger
Dude,

just run a wire from the neg terminal of the coil to a switch skillfully placed somewhere outof sight. then from the other terminal of the switch grounded to the body.

Walla'. biggrin.gif

Suppose you could trace that green power wire from the ignition switch... Or was it black? happy11.gif
scotty b
blink.gif Killswitch?????

ENGAGE! ar15.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Nov 7 2005, 06:49 PM)
Dude,

just run a wire from the neg terminal of the coil to a switch skillfully placed somewhere outof sight. then from the other terminal of the switch grounded to the body.

Walla'. biggrin.gif

Suppose you could trace that green power wire from the ignition switch... Or was it black? happy11.gif

but if the killswitch is engaged and the thief tries to dick with my car, starting and starting it....

the coil heat up and BLAMO! hot oil all over everything.

b
jd74914
So, please tell us WHY anyone would want to steal your car? confused24.gif

In any case, a kill switch is just something else to worry about. If you are that worried pull off the coil plug wire like aaron said
bd1308
someday my 914 will look good.

b
jd74914
joking BTW, but i still don't know why you wouldn't just unplug the coil, easiest to do, and it follows the KISS principle which means it is one less thing to worry about cool.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 7 2005, 06:25 PM)
joking BTW, but i still don't know why you wouldn't just unplug the coil, easiest to do, and it follows the KISS principle which means it is one less thing to worry about cool.gif

werd agree.gif
Mueller
the proper use of the kill switch is remove all power from the battery to the rest of the car........

for your application, you could just get a toggle switch and wire it in series with the + of coil....
bd1308
yep.

b
Flat VW
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 7 2005, 05:06 PM)
So, please tell us WHY anyone would want to steal your car? confused24.gif

for the tools and valuable teener' parts in the trunk. mueba.gif happy11.gif rocking nana.gif happy11.gif

John
r_towle
my race car had a simple 150amp 2000 amp surge kill switch in the negative battery line.

Basic to install, and you could either hide in the engine bay, or put it in the trunk

switch
Rich
Aaron Cox
"valuable Teener part" Oxymoron
scotty b
unsure.gif Why not just take the key out of the ignition?? 051103-stupid4.gif
effutuo101
I have a Bosch battery isolation switch on my car. I just moved it from behind the sail into the cab. It is steel and lasts about 1000 times longer then the cheap plastic one at your local parts house. I had one of the original Porsche switches, but it got swiped. If you put in a battery cut off, I believe that you have to cut off the + side of the battery. I moved to a rainy place, and decided to put the switch out of the elements.
Aaron Cox
like this chris?
user posted image
i need one.... eric shea sold 2 for 30 bucks a piece or somehting a year ago.....

this choad wants 120 for it lol

Allan
dry.gif
effutuo101
pray.gif That is the one! I just bought a replacement for $70 at European Auto up here in Seattle. Thanks for having the pic handy. I was going to drive over to my sisters and dig the box out of the trash.
Dr. Roger
I picked up one of these at my local marine hardware outlet while I was shopping for fuse block replacement.

Even has a removeable key. wink.gif
I don't know exactly where i'm going to put it yet, but it will probably go inside center console. concealed.

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.