Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This will be O.K with a honing right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
Had a really shitty day last Fri. Hit a deer at 70 mph in the Volvo (thank god I got rid of the 924!) So when I got home I decided to do something to get myself out of the funk, so I took an old 36 h.p. motor I picked up a few years back and started to dissasemble it. I knew good and well it was junk because it was coverd literally, with aboiut 1/16" of mud sad.gif Anywhoo after soaking the head for 3 days I got it off yesterday, and I'm thinking maybe I can just hone it and reassemble. ????
scotty b
huh.gif wacko.gif unsure.gif blink.gif
scotty b
forgot pic
qa1142
Honing?

Just needs oil and fire it up! huh.gif
Verruckt
I guess I'm missing something? confused24.gif Just take it to the car wash and hose it off, rattlecan the tin and sell it.
Mr. stromberg.gif does it every day...

OR...

Mail it to Jake so he can make another "destruction video" smilie_pokal.gif
Allan
I would say that the arrowed one is okay because all the crap saved it. I would consider the other one suspect because the piston is pitted. wink.gif
phantom914
Exactly how old is this engine? It looks like the pistons are made out of stone. huh.gif

Guess they still hadn't reached the Bronze age when they made that engine.

Andrew
Speedster07
I'd try blowing it out with the air-compressor and fire it up.

party.gif
SLITS
And I suppose the next project is to fire up the Merimac lol2.gif

If the rings are corroded in the lands, you may have a chance at some compression..............
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Nov 7 2005, 09:42 PM)

If the rings are corroded in the lands, you may have a chance at some compression..............

your so old, you remember building the merimac
phantom914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 7 2005, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Nov 7 2005, 09:42 PM)

your so old, you remember building the merimac

Back in his day, radio was still broadcast in Black&White.

Andrew
SLITS
If I only had that image file with me at home Aaron..........Boy, have I got a treat for you.....
Brando
ROFL...

Stone-age pistons and cylinders...

I hear all that crap and rust in there adds compression...
bd1308
what can you hurt?

clean the crap out and do a leak down test.

worst case, you're hosed.....

blink.gif

b
scotty b
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 7 2005, 09:51 PM)
what can you hurt?

clean the crap out and do a leak down test.

worst case, you're hosed.....

blink.gif

b

Actually I knew the engine was hosed when I got it. All the mud kinda clued me in. Actually the cylinder with all the crap in it is the werst. The piston has a hole eaten in the bottom of it from the water eating away. Inteneded use for the engine has always been to clean it up, reassemble it with nice powder coated tin and put it on display. I've got this thing for keeping shitbox engine to build display motors, so if you have any junk 911 heads send em this way smilie_pokal.gif Also need junke carbs for 911 and 356.
brownaar
The early experiments with that new iron oxide coating for engine parts just didn't pan out.
chairfall.gif
tracks914
Hey I have one just like it in a 1.7.
I took a 16lb sledge hammer and a size for size pipe, drove the pipe into the cylinders to free them up.....hit that dam thing for almost 1/2 hour, alternating between cylinders until...........................I gave up. Never did get even one piston free.
I'm thinking if I ever get a boat.......can you say anchor?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.