Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker arm shaft seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shadygrady
I need new rocker arm shaft seals for a 1983 3.0L. Anyone know where I can get some? Thanks,

Grady
TimT
I have a few sets, However I wont be back at my place for 2 weeks.... living out of a hotel sucks

anyhoo

Call EBS they can hook you up

sixnotfour
Closer ?
Don Ramsay
Air Cooled Classics Inc.
www.aircooledclassics.biz
Dave_Darling
So can All the Usual Suspects (e.g., Pelican, GPR, Performance, etc.).

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
If the engine has been put together right, you don't need them. We were fine for 15+ years without them, and they were only installed on the RSRs from the factory.
The Cap'n
TimT
If the engine has been put together right

I think it is bad teardown techniques...

Ive seen cam housings where you could see where a screwdriver or sharp punch was used to drive out the rocker shafts..

In any event the whole shebang costs $2/seal, maybe more since last time I bought them... cheap insurance for oil leaks.. of course hoping the PO tore the engine down correctly, or you have an engine that never been aparts is nice also
J P Stein
Tho I have the things in my motor, I gotta agree with the Cap'n. I read of a lot of leakers & walkers....more of the walkers. I also read of the supposed cure...over torqueing.
Following Mr. Andersons instructions and factory recommended torque, I've had zero problems with walking and with the seals (my bores were pretty torn up
as the previous builder put sealant in the bores...I had to beat the shafts out) zero oil leaks....I did a nice job or refinishing the bores, but couldn't go deep enuff to take all the dings out.

shadygrady
Thanks for the replies. We don't know the past history of the engine or whether it has ever been apart. This engine came out of a wrecked 1983 911SC and now powers my 1974 914 very well. We have a very small leak at high rpms and are trying to eliminate all possibilities. We noticed the leak last weekend at Road Atlanta after spirited runs. We replaced the valve cover gaskets thinking that might be it. I could live with it, but it is in my WIFE's garage with a piece of cardboard under it. And my wife is not fond of the 914 to say the least. My mechanic and I wanted it to be a no dripper if that is possible. Before we installed the engine, I cleaned it very well. So even a drop is noticable.

I looked in Performance catalog and didn't find them. Will try Pelican today.

Thanks again,

Grady
brant
At the club race last month, we broke a rocker shaft.
Of course this caused a leak on the track and we noticed some oil smoke.

car was running fine at the time, but we came in so as to see why there was oil dripping onto the header.

I'm glad we did come in.
I would have hated to see us finish the practice session, reving the car out to 7300 and having the completely loose rocker decide to move.

I was glad it leaked and started thinking about this.
I think I would want mine to leak as a warning that something funny was going on in there.

pull your valve cover and double check your shaft isn't broken at the very least.

brant
Sammy
I put em in my engine. I think it is a good idea and cheap too. If you are assembling a brand new engine with all brand new parts, you don't need them. If your engine parts are not brand new, then ask the question, why not install them?
I got mine from pelican.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (brant @ Nov 8 2005, 07:28 AM)

car was running fine at the time, but we came in so as to see why there was oil dripping onto the header.

I'm glad we did come in.
I would have hated to see us finish the practice session, reving the car out to 7300 and having the completely loose rocker decide to move.

I think I would want mine to leak as a warning that something funny was going on in there.

pull your valve cover and double check your shaft isn't broken at the very least.

brant

You BROKE a rocker shaft? I AM amazed. It's one thing to break a cast rocker arm, but one would think the aluminum cam tower would yield brfore a hardened steel rocker shaft would break. The Cap'n
brant
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 8 2005, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (brant @ Nov 8 2005, 07:28 AM)

I'm glad we did come in.

brant

You BROKE a rocker shaft? I AM amazed. It's one thing to break a cast rocker arm, but one would think the aluminum cam tower would yield brfore a hardened steel rocker shaft would break. The Cap'n

apparently it was a freak thing...
everyone we talked to at the event was surprised also.

Perhaps it was a faulty part or over torqued..?
but yep, the end snapped right where the groove is cut.
caused the entire shaft to collapse/become loose.

when we removed the valve cover the bolt and nut fell out onto the ground.

amazingly, the rocker itself was still relatively in place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.