Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pca ruling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
if the rules state that you must retain the original flor pan and firewall, can an open wheeled racer be built with a 914...something like URY's, but lighter???

Tube frame up front, and rear, no fender...

Rich
URY914
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 7 2005, 08:33 PM)
something like URY's, but lighter???

Tube frame up front, and rear, no fender...

Rich

Lighter than mine? NO WAY! biggrin.gif

The rules say that the body must cover the tires. They won't let you run a car that doesn't at least look something like a Porsche.

Paul
TimT
I dont have the pictures on this pc, but I knoe of a 914, that retains the firewalls and floorpans, yet is basically a tube fram car. It has 993 suspension, and a 956 or 962 engine. a 935 gearbox, with a one piece 935 front clip. Oh and no windshield or windshield frame.

The car runs in PCA class GTP.

Ill post pictures when I get back home..
MJHanna
this the car that made the rule to be changed. its a914 with a 944 eng. can't u tell biggrin.gif
URY914
Sure, that's a 914 door. I see it.

Pissed off too many 911 drivers and it was banned.

I think that car was stolen a few years back andnever found.

It's called the Beast or something, right?
Matt Monson
Wayne Baker's old 914-4 was a tube framed car. It looked like a 914 from the outside, but the car was actually several inches shorter than a 914 should be...
TimT
It's called the Beast or something, right?

Doom, and there was a DoomII
J P Stein
That is Doom II. IIRC, Doom I is the one that got "disappeared".
jd74914
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 8 2005, 07:16 PM)
That is Doom II. IIRC, Doom I is the one that got "disappeared".

So guys, for those of us who have never heard of either of the cars whats with them and does anyone have any more pictures? cool.gif
Brett W
Wayne Baker's car was the same length as a stock 914 it was also the same width as the stock 914 measured at the door sills. It was severely channeled though. The car sat so low the wheels would have hit the top of the fenders in the original setup. IMSA would not allow the addition of blisters to clear the tires. So the car was raised up. It did however retain both front and rear firewalls, stock door openings and windshield and targabar frames. The chassis was put on a frame jig and supported by the bumper mounts and door hinge points and striker mounts. Then everything was removed below the factory firewalls. Once that material was removed the framerails were replaced and some extra sheetmetal was added back so as to appear to be a 914 when viewed through the window.

The car caused such an uproar in the tech line when it showed up that many competitors did not want it to run. The owners of IMSA looked at the car and Wayne convinced them that the replacement of the floor with alumunim was just a normal rust and wreck damaged repair in the body shop business. They let the car run. and the rest is more-or-less history.

In theory that is what my car started out as. As a tube chassis car with a stock type body hung on it, sorta. Then I got a wild hair up my ass and did away with most of that stock body.
URY914
see...
URY914
On pole baby...

TimT
Norwood built both Doom cars, I think the 944 powered 914 made almost 1000HP and had the aero devices to keep it help to the ground. note the wing in front, and hanging way behind the bodywork of the pictured car.

I dont know the exact wording, but in PCAS racing, the rules for GT class state that the aero device (wing) cant overhang the end of the body by more than 6"
the car also had pushrod shocks, etc..

When that car was built PCAQ racing rules were in there infancy. that car, or rather everybody bitching about that car made PCA insitute rule changes..effectively banning Doom and DoomII, I think the Doom monikers were attached after the rule changes..

the 914 that I am familiar with that is a 956/993/963/914/935/911 mix still competes here in the North East
Brett W
Paul you got anymore pictures of the Baker car? I have a bunch but would be interested in your collection.
URY914
QUOTE (Brett W @ Nov 8 2005, 06:59 PM)
Paul you got anymore pictures of the Baker car? I have a bunch but would be interested in your collection.

Brett,
I'll post the rest of mine and you can pick them up from here. wink.gif
URY914
URY914
URY914
ewrth
URY914
th
URY914
xgfcnb
URY914
thth
URY914
dfug
URY914
last one
URY914
QUOTE (Brett W @ Nov 8 2005, 06:59 PM)

Brett,
Post the ones of yours that I don't have please.

Paul
MJHanna
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 8 2005, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 8 2005, 07:16 PM)
That is Doom II. IIRC,  Doom I  is the one that got "disappeared".

So guys, for those of us who have never heard of either of the cars whats with them and does anyone have any more pictures? cool.gif

This Doom. its the one that was stolen.
MJHanna
This what they did before the Doom cars.... it was called "White Lighting", now its called a variety of things depending on how it’s running. biggrin.gif some of the things they did were truley innovating. I own this one..... rolleyes.gif
MJHanna
with out the body work
jd74914
Neat 911, what pushes it? smile.gif

I dont have the pictures on this pc, but I knoe of a 914, that retains the firewalls and floorpans, yet is basically a tube fram car. It has 993 suspension, and a 956 or 962  engine. a 935 gearbox, with a one piece 935 front clip. Oh and no windshield or windshield frame.

If i'm not mistaken thats this car, correct? I think the owner is Nick Ventura and IIRC it is a 914 with a 962TT engine
URY914
Nice tow rig and trailer to carry that monster to the track.

(I was just KIDDING biggrin.gif )
jd74914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Nov 9 2005, 04:04 PM)
Nice tow rig and trailer to carry that monster to the track.

(I was just KIDDING biggrin.gif )

thats what i think every time I see the picture laugh.gif
TimT
Yes thats Nicky at Lime Rock, I have a bunch of pics of it with the bodywork off. But they are on my home PC.

Im getting really tired of living in a hotel headbang.gif
brant
Hey....
that just enables him to spend more money on the race car!

(written by a man who also uses a home made open trailer and van as a tow vehicle! Besides, I had to learn to teach myself to weld somehow and the home made trailer hasn't lost any axles yet)
Dave_Darling
Didn't Ron Mistak from San Diego own that yellow car for a while? If so, I've run against it. I did pretty well, too--he had a four-banger in it with MFI and it was just barely running at the time. I helped him find a couple of vacuum leaks on the grid, and he did eventually get it out on the course. It was still running like crapola, though. sad.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.