Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing engine shrowd
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
i have taken off the front portion of the shrowd
showing the alternater and the impeller(more)
had to scrap the belt though dry.gif
tried to coax it off but wouldnt go...

so now i have the front off but i cant get the back off
i can see no bolts on the face of the back plate
looking behind it i can see two thingies coming off the back that attach to what i think is the block

but i cant figure how to get it off

i need to get it off to get to the oil cooler so i can replace my oil filter assembly

so how do i get it off?
Aaron Cox
do you own a haynes manual? huh.gif
shaggy
ya but typically thats my last resort

its falling apart and slightly oil covered and very hard to read(pictures arent real high quality)
Jake Raby
You obviously don't have my video.... headbang.gif
Brando
take the impeller off, you'll see 4 bolts behind that hold the rest of the fan housing onto the engine block.
shaggy
jake where do i get that video?

how do i remove the impeller

i see 3 hexes at 120 degrees fomr each other
but how do i get it off w/o it spinning?
McMark
An impact wrench will work, but if you don't have one, you can do it the "dangerous" way. Put the socket wrench on it and carefully smack it with a hammer. If you have a buddy, they can hold the wrench steady, while you smack it. I am not suggesting this is the best way. I'm just saying this has worked for me in a pinch. Don't try this with an allen wrench, you must use a allen socket.
Twystd1
Dude,
Take the big bolt off the fan.

Take the little bolts off behind the the big bolt that you will see AFTER you take off the big bolt.

Make sure the alternator bracket bolt that screws onto the shroud is out... Then whole shooting match kinda just falls off in your hands.........

NOTE: Next time take off the fan shroud all in one piece..!!!!!

Twystd1

NOTE: LOOK IN THE MANUAL.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

By the way: We are all lovin ya bro...
Just want to kinda force ya to look in the manual and learn it inside out. So well in fact you can see it in your mind without really having to refer to it all the time......

Thats when ya get really good at this stuff...
Twystd1
DONT BLOCK THE ENGINE WITH THE FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Twystd1
STOP THE ENGINE FROM ROTATING BY BLOCKING THE FLYWHEEL...

Do not use the fan to stop the rotationj...

try a drift or a screwdriver throught the bellhousing into the flywheel........

I use a flywheel lock... (look it up)
shaggy
so i take a dull of knife or something i pry off that rubber cone thing in the center with the vw stamp?

and ill see some bolt in there?

then i take out the alternater braket screw? and itll fall off?
shaggy
i really should jsut buy a new manual

so block the flywheel and then take the rubber cap/ come thing off and off come the impeller?
McMark
It's much easier to remove the three bolts than the one in the center.
Aaron Cox
is the trans still attached?

go to VW shop and BUY a flywheel LOCK.

take out the 3 bolts that hold the fan onto the crank.

locate the 4 bolts.... begin.

buy a haynes manual buddy biggrin.gif
shaggy
ill get another one asap

the tranny is still on

its all together

i have to take the tranny off to get to the fly right?
please say im wrong...please...
Twystd1
Yeah,
Mcmark is correct... I fuched up...

Yup your right senor Crusty....

Hell I just did it on Sunday and I brain farted... Thanks McMark & Crusty

Now I realize I gota think before I speak... AGAIN...

Twystd1
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Nov 7 2005, 09:26 PM)
Dude,
Take the big bolt off the fan.

Take the little bolts off behind the the big bolt that you will see AFTER you take off the big bolt.

Make sure the alternator bracket bolt that screws onto the shroud is out... Then whole shooting match kinda just falls off in your hands.........

NOTE: Next time take off the fan shroud all in one piece..!!!!!

Twystd1

NOTE: LOOK IN THE MANUAL.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

By the way: We are all lovin ya bro...
Just want to kinda force ya to look in the manual and learn it inside out. So well in fact you can see it in your mind without really having to refer to it all the time......

Thats when ya get really good at this stuff...

"Big bolt"? What "big" bolt. The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
Haynes actually isn't very helpful on this particular task--IIRC, it says to remove the front half of the shroud, then the fan, then the rear half. Which you don't have to do.

Remove the fan. There are three bolts near the center of the fan; remove them. Hold the fan still with one hand, or if the spark plugs are still in and you have decent compression--or if the engine is still in the car, put the transmission in gear and set the handbrake HARD. You can loosen the bolts with one hand, if you can keep the socket on the bolts. (Or in the bolt heads, if they are "triple square" bolts like the CV joints use.) Or get a buddy to hold the fan for you.

You can use a screwdriver through the timing hole in the top of the fan shroud to keep the fan from turning. This is definitely more risky than holding the fan, but if you're careful to keep the screwdriver near the back of the fan blades the risk of breaking them is significantly less.

Anyway, once those three bolts are removed, you start rocking the fan back and forth. It can take some work, but it should eventually loosen up and pull off of the fan hub. Then you should see the four nuts that hold the back half of the fan shroud onto the crankcase. Next time, you should remember that you don't have to remove the front half of the shroud--just the fan. And unhook the oil cooler bracket and a few other bits, too...

--DD
Mueller
QUOTE (shaggy @ Nov 7 2005, 10:38 PM)
i have to take the tranny off to get to the fly right?
please say im wrong...please...

are you working in the dark with your eyes closed? biggrin.gif

you should be able to see the flywheel from one of these places:

hole in upper portion of theengine case on passanger side

starter hole (if starter removed)

if your transmission is still attached, how about putting it in gear and holding the drive flanges from turning....

you need to buy another manual and actually thumb thru it and attempt to read it and get somewhat familiar with your car...a lot things you are asking are too drawn out or complicated to easily write out detailed instructions...i'm not say'n don't ask, just do a little homework beforehand

smash.gif
bottomend
I like shaggy... He ask's all the good questions.
DNHunt
Let's not be too hard on the guy. He taking our advice and said he would buy a new Haynes ASAP. Blast the guys that ask questions, get answers and then go do whatever they feel like.

If you have the engine out of the car take your time and study it.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.