Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 CV SWAP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RON S.
I gotta give a thanks to Aaron and all the others who passed on the info that 944 cv's and 914/4 axles are a much more wallet friendly alternitive to a custom made axle setup for a 914/6.

Everything work as indicated,with one exception.

I chose to take the 944 stub axle,and machine the bearing contact area flat as the original /6 stub.With a small radius in the corner.

I did this to get an additional .200" of free movement in the axle shaft,since I had to program up an adaptor for my 915 trans output flange.No spacer is used.

( HINT)Use a ceramic insert in your tool holder,and this is a less than 10 minute job.

All said,I have about 3/4-1" of total axle float with everything locked down,and the car stiing level on pavement.

Ron
RON S.
The Car is now outa the garage under its own power for probably the first time in 16 years.

A few more minor details,like getting a matching set of rear wheels,and It's insurance and tag time baby.

Thanks Guys,
Ron
Root_Werks
Cool 914! Love those rear flares! w00t.gif Looks like you might have to run some spacers back there. smile.gif
ClayPerrine
I have been running this setup since August........

BTW.. Wes Hildreth and I figured out that if you machine the 911 hub inboard edge down the same amount as the extra shoulder on the 944 stub axle you can run the complete 944 axle assembly.

RON S.
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Nov 8 2005, 06:49 AM)
Cool 914! Love those rear flares! w00t.gif Looks like you might have to run some spacers back there. smile.gif

Long story short on the rear wheels.

I bought a pile of wheels some years ago,and sent them off for refinishing.I pulled 4 twist-tech wheels to use on the teener when the time came to put'er back on the road.

Now that time has come,and I found that I have a set of rear 18x10's with two different offsets headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif a 40mm,and 1 with a 52mm.headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Stupid me didn't check for that when I needed to,or I wouldn't have the problem today.The car looks cool with'm on from the side with the correct wheel,dumb from the other side.

In a nutshell,I NEED another 40mm offset twist-tech to be able to install the rears.Anybody got one?Pretty please.

Ron
nomore9one4
Those are the 11inch rear flares. The ones I originally wanted,but did not want to fork out the cash for another set of wheels. They look awesome.Thansk for posting the picture. pray.gif
Verruckt
Anybody know if there are steel 11" flares available?
RON S.
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Nov 8 2005, 10:42 AM)
Anybody know if there are steel 11" flares available?

My next fabrication project,will be to buy the steel repo flares,

then section sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif and weld welder.gif welder.gif em up to have an 11" set.

That is on the next year or two's too-do list.

Ron
Aaron Cox
glad it came out that way ron.

i have the stub axles from a 951. thats as far as i have gotten.

find me some Axles and some 911 hubs please smile.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
and here is the drawing....
user posted image
mightyohm
And the award for "most unreadable font of the year" goes to......

Somebody needs AutoCAD. biggrin.gif
nomore9one4
Thanks for the email Ron. Reponse sent. biggrin.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Nov 8 2005, 12:43 PM)
And the award for "most unreadable font of the year" goes to......

Somebody needs AutoCAD. biggrin.gif

smilie_pokal.gif But very pretty colors!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.