Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Had it with the O-rings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
OK I have tried everything to get the damn car to stop leaking. I have the damn old heads with the smaller ID for the push rod tubes. I have tried many different O-rings with the same leaking. I can hear the oil driping onto the HE. I don't want to have the holes rebored and install the newer tubes. Is there some kind of gasket sealer I can use with the o-rings to get some kind of a seal. I heard you can use teflon, is it the tape used in plumbing or some kind of sealer.
Cap'n Krusty
NO SEALER! It increases the likelihood of leaks. Just use the correct o-rings, and make sure the bores are clean, free from spots of old sealer and oil crust, and are unmarred. Oil the o-rings and insert the tubes with a twisting motion. The Cap'n
Jake Raby
I finally disagree with the Capn!

There is ONE sealant that works and works well enough that it finds a home on every engine that leaves my shop. This sealant remains flexible and is very slick so upon install it decreases the chances of a seal being torn.

Here is a link to it on my store site.

Sealant

Also ensure that NO BURRS are present in the pushrod tube bores and take a small rotary file to the pushrod tube bores of the head and bevel their edges. They generally have a sharp edge that will cut the tube upon install.

Another thing to remember is if the engine has blowby past the rings and valve guides no matter what- its gonna leak... That blowby turns into case pressure and FORCES oil out of any place that it can. If your exhaust valve guides are worn the pressure is pumped into the valve cover and that pressure is right on top of the pushrod tube seals and they will leak... Most of the time when leaks can't be solved its due to this.

The sealant works- my engine in the 912E has 89,000 miles on it and don't leak a drop- even when it sits for a week at a time and I run sytnthetic!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.