Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric air pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shelby/914
I was tellin one of my emissions failure stories to a local mechanic (while BS ing over coffee), about the problems with the air pump on my "76. He suggested using an electric one off a late model Camaro. Said that he had seen it done but couldn"t remember what year car it was off of. Anyone ever try this solution?
Mueller
interesting idea....not sure about CO, but that would not pass in CA due to the visual test (unless you had the stock mechanical pump hooked up and the electric pump hidden)

bondo
Wouldn't work in CA, you'd fail the visual for not having the original smog pump.

The late model GM smog pumps are electric, but they only run during open loop (during warmup). I doubt they would last long if run continuously. If you want to give it a try, I know a 1993 firebird has one.
SLITS
How many would you like? Around a '95 and up Camaro, Firebird, etc

You could also try the ones off of a '68 912....they were powerful enough to be used as a mini-superchager on Kart engines.
shelby/914
It would probably fail visual in Colorad too if the inspector knew what he was looking at. It actually passed the visual with the air pump removed. He apparently did not know what he was looking for when he quickly opened, then shut the lid. Could probably mount the ele. one in tha same location depending on size. We have two levels of inspection. Newer cars at central locations on a dyno like setup, older ones can still be done at the mom & pop locations that are left over from the old tail pipe test days. Funny thing was that they still checked the gas tank opening size to make sure it hadn't been punched out for the larger leaded gas nozel. Like there are any of those left around! O'yea, car passed visual and Hc but failed Co.
lapuwali
The original smog pump isn't actually required in CA. They allow for replacement. One can replace the catalytic convertor, after all. You can't get OEM 70s tech cats anymore, only better units, but they're still legal.

The CA test only states that the car HAS a smog pump, so the car has to have one when you smog it, and it has to APPEAR to work. The list the tech looks at doesn't say boo about what kind of smog pump, or how it's driven. I'd be willing to bet even a referee station would pass you if you had an electric smog pump hooked up, so long as it worked. For example, I know someone who got through a referee test using a smog pump from a different model of car mounted in a completely different place that the OEM unit (which was dead and irreplacable, this wasn't a 914). The pump ran and pumped air into the exhaust manifold, just like the OEM unit, so it passed.

The most interesting smog pump I've seen wasn't belt-driven OR electric, but powered by manifold vacuum. It was used on the mid-80s Yamaha RZ350, one of the first motorcycles to be equipped with catalytic convertors (had two).

blitZ
I have a pump from a 76, you may have. Let me know if you want it. Have no idea if it works.
type47fan
If you're interested, I've got a couple of new ones available. . . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.