Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it safe to start my 914 without HE & Muffler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turtleman
I have my heat exchangers and muffler off my 914 and need to move my car.

Is it safe to fire it up and drive it ten-twenty feet without damaging anything? I realize it will be super loud but it needs to be moved up an incline out of the road before it gets hit by someone not paying attention.

I just tried to push it but fell shy of my target.

Chip
jd74914
nope. not a good idea

IIRC without any kind of manifold pushing the gases away from the exhaust port it can get sucked back into the engine which is really bad.

just heat exchangers are fine tho
Tom Perso
Go fer it - 20 ft ain't nuthin.

Make sure you rap it a few times to blow the carbon out too... huh.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

Tom
nomore9one4
QUOTE (Tom Perso @ Nov 8 2005, 05:32 PM)
Go fer it - 20 ft ain't nuthin.

Make sure you rap it a few times to blow the carbon out too... huh.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

Tom

It will be a good time to find out if you have any fuel leaks too! boldblue.gif
Aaron Cox
no. you will die laugh.gif
olav
Just push it! wink.gif
machina
didn't stop these guys, just make sure the cat is not under the car
bondo
Just pull the plugs, disconnect the power to the coil (so you don't get any stray sparks) and use the starter in 1st gear. It's pretty strong, especially when not fighting engine compression.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Nov 8 2005, 05:54 PM)

SWEET picture!
Flat VW
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Nov 8 2005, 05:54 PM)

reminds me of the Das Boot film. idea.gif

John
bd1308
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

the 4 cam engine.

b
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Nov 8 2005, 07:01 PM)
Just pull the plugs, disconnect the power to the coil (so you don't get any stray sparks) and use the starter in 1st gear. It's pretty strong, especially when not fighting engine compression.

agree.gif
turtleman
I was having a car hauler trailer delivered and wanted to clear the driveway so they could bring it to my back yard. I was unable to push the 914 up an incline by myself. When the trailer arrived the driver assisted me in pushing it out of harms way.

I had just been concerned some dimwit would hit the 914 as it was protruding a foot into my subdivision road.

I must admit that I had to think twice as to whether I should fire it up. David's pictures just made me want to do it even more. Just did not think I wanted to be inside if it was even going to be remotely like that.

Chip
r_towle
where r u in New England?

Rich
gfulcher
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Nov 8 2005, 08:54 PM)

I beg to differ. Make sure the cat IS under the car...

-greg-
Series9
Whould you guys be serious.

It would hurt nothing to drive the car a short distance without the H/Es or muffler.

The noise is fun.

JoeSharp
agree.gif Ib wit Joe on disone.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
maf914
QUOTE (gfulcher @ Nov 8 2005, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Nov 8 2005, 08:54 PM)

I beg to differ. Make sure the cat IS under the car...

-greg-

Make sure the neighbor's cat is under the car! laugh.gif
bd1308
chowtime.gif yum....roasted cat.

b
sgomes
QUOTE (bondo @ Nov 8 2005, 06:01 PM)

Hey now you're talking!! Instant electric car conversion!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Don't ever put the sparkplugs back! rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.