Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stainless steel heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Need some help from you guys in the know. I have a chance to pick up some nice shape stainless heat ex's for a 1.7/1.8. I am getting different information about the sizes of tubing. Some are saying all ss heat ex's were made with the same size tubing, others are saying no, different sizes. I want them for a 2.0. What size tubing should these be? What else will be needed to convert 76 to pre 75?
Thanks, Tom
Jeffs9146
You want the ones that match your muffler and hanger! Otherwise you have to change it all out!

Jeff
Mueller
one of many heat exhanger threads

do a search using Dave Darling as member name, he has a thread with pretty much all the needed parts

should be same ID tubes, it basicly comes down the using the 1.7/1.8 muffler with 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers and using the 2.0 muffler with the 2.0 heat exchangers

you'll want most of the parts from the backdated exhaust
Bartlett 914
My 2.0 HE are 35mm ID on the output end. At the head the Pipe ID is 31 X 37mm. The mufflers are different. There are 3 holes at the muffler. The spacing is abour 8mm wider on the 2.0 (108mm vs. 100mm)

Mark
jimkelly
914-4 HE's will fit any 914-4 but you will need the muffler to match and hanger to match and IF you put a tailshifter on a car with 1973 and newer HE's, you will have to notch out the hanger for the tailshifter linkage to move freely.

As per your question - SS HE's appear to have a bit larger ID because they are not cast - you may find that 1.7/1.8 SS HE's have better flow than 2.0 non SS HE's but I neglected to measure mine before installation so I can't verify.
Joe Ricard
But 2.0L SSI on a 1.7L engine rocked the house. Nice power improvement. and cut a bunch of pounds off the car. biggrin.gif
2-OH!
Recently purchased a B.F.N. pair off E-Bay...Original SSI manufacture...Still in original wrapping...And let me tell you, they are some kind of pur-ty...

But there was some confusion from the seller about whether they were 1.7/1.8's or 2.0's and I was not sure myself...So I called SSI and asked them...

All the 914 HE's he manufactured used the same size pipe, regardless of application...The 2.0 size pipe...The difference is the 1.7/1.8's have the large offset back after the HE but before the muffler flange...The 2.0's are reletively straight...

Therefore, as mentioned in a previous reply, you have to match the muffler and the hanger...

He does not have any to sell and is not currently planning to make any either...

And NO they are not for sale...

2-OH!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.