Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Twisted gauges?! Cool or lame...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Pincetich
I recently pushed a sweet lookin, rust-free '72 inot my garage and am slowly taking the engine apart and fixing the broken parts (like getting a remote trunk release and new hinge attachements).

The tach and speedometer are twisted counterclockwise!

With the small Dyno steeringwheel the PO installed, it makes it "easier" to see the needle when it is in the 2'oclock position - with them twisted the needle would then be straight up and visible through the wheel spokes...can't say I've driven with this.

I might get in there for the 904 kit or to fix the odometer...so my question is, IS IT COOL or LAME to have the gauges twisted liek this? Maybe the "racers" out there all do this?

Since I've finally got the motivation for my first thread, one more question: how hard is it to fix the odometer vs. replacing the whole cluster?

Thanks in advance for advice! beerchug.gif
jr91472
confused24.gif

I adjusted the speedo due to my momo steering wheel. That way I can always see the 40-60mph range for driving around town. Lots of radar traps here, so cool or not...it was a necessity.

lagunero
many who have replaced the OG steering wheel with a smaller wheel have turned the Tach, you really want to be able to see at least that gauge. Lame or cool it's only up to you. Replacing the odometer only?
Dr. Roger
twisted...

it's the cool way to go. wink.gif

El Cerrito High. My old almamater.
Ferg
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Nov 9 2005, 01:32 PM)
confused24.gif

I adjusted the speedo due to my momo steering wheel. That way I can always see the 40-60mph range for driving around town. Lots of radar traps here, so cool or not...it was a necessity.

Ditto, everyone that goes for a ride tells me it's crooked though dry.gif

Ferg
Chris Pincetich
Swweeet - I actually thought it was pretty cool too.

I hope to see all the East Bay 914ers on the road in 2006!

party.gif

If anybody out there has or will have a nice 1.7- 2.0 FI engine I am looking to buy one after X-mas when I have $$$ again...but another thread will start for that request when I'm ready!

Any help or advice out there for odometer replacement?
QUOTE (Ferg @ Nov 9 2005, 01:48 PM)
confused24.gif

I adjusted the speedo due to my momo steering wheel.  That way I can always see the 40-60mph range for driving around town.  Lots of radar traps here, so cool or not...it was a necessity.

Ferg

Who cares. Are they driving it or you?
Or do you have to get compliments to feel good about driving your 914? cool.gif
motorhead
had min twisted for a long time, just the tach. It's nice to be able to glance and see the needle around the noon position without thinking.
Ferg
QUOTE (0396 @ Nov 9 2005, 02:50 PM)
confused24.gif

I adjusted the speedo due to my momo steering wheel.  That way I can always see the 40-60mph range for driving around town.  Lots of radar traps here, so cool or not...it was a necessity.

Ferg

Who cares. Are they driving it or you?
Or do you have to get compliments to feel good about driving your 914? cool.gif

confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
i could drive my car with just an Oil pressure idiot light.

i never glance at the tach.... purely by sound. i know what 6k sounds like smile.gif then i shift smile.gif
jgara962
I twisted my tach so redline is in the 12 o'clock position. I think it looks cool, but what do I know, I've got giant white number circles on the doors and hood.
fiid
My speedo is twisted. I need to be able to see the ranges that matter to law enforcement. People comment on it a lot. It's purely a practical thing IMHO. It does sort of look racer, but most people don't know what racer looks like.

I'm working on relocating my fuel guage to the center console and just having 2 4.5" guages up front which I will hopefully be able to spy through the smaller MOMO wheel. I'll move all the warning lights to the area visable outside the wheel. This is actully similar to the setup on the Miata and Elise, so I'm guessing it will work ok.

Elliot_Cannon
If you twist the speedo too much, it puts a bad kink in the cable and it will break after time.
Elliot
McMark
I'm an orderly type person, so the twisted gauges have never sat well with me. I can recognize the practical aspect though and will probably twist my gauges once I get a smaller wheel. In my dream car I'll probably have North Hollywood Speedo redo the faces to the guages will be twisted, but the numbers will still be right side up. wacko.gif I know I'm crazy.
jr91472
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Nov 9 2005, 11:48 PM)
If you twist the speedo too much, it puts a bad kink in the cable and it will break after time.
Elliot

agree.gif

I chased a "rubbing / grinding" noise for months before I finally figured out that I had a small kink in the speedo cable behind the dash.......
MoveQik
confused24.gif

Ferg

I was gonna say something when you took me for a ride....but then I just figured that the crooked gauge sorta fit in with the rest of the car. The whole thing is sorta half-assed. wink.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (jgara962 @ Nov 9 2005, 07:32 PM)
I twisted my tach so redline is in the 12 o'clock position. I think it looks cool, but what do I know, I've got giant white number circles on the doors and hood.

ditto... clear view of redline
msglaigaie
Elliot

I just scored a Momo prototipo for twenty US bucks to put in the batmobile. Its just like the one in my dream car, the 917. Installing the wheel and twisting the gauges was next on my list, but now you have me concerned Elliot. How much is "too much" ??. MSG L
JmuRiz
QUOTE (msglaigaie @ Nov 10 2005, 11:12 AM)
Elliot

I just scored a Momo prototipo for twenty US bucks to put in the batmobile. Its just like the one in my dream car, the 917. Installing the wheel and twisting the gauges was next on my list, but now you have me concerned Elliot. How much is "too much" ??. MSG L

agree.gif
How much is too much...I never thought about the speedo-cable wear.
Rleog
I seem to remember that the works 914 -6 Le Mans cars had their tachs with redline at 12 o'clock.
jgara962
Most race cars do. Not only is it easier to see with a small steering wheel, but your not trying to read a number in the heat of battle. The needle goes completely verticle - you shift.
Rand
The speedo cable is long enough that a little twist shouldn't be a problem if it were spread far enough along the cable.... is there a clamp that could be loosened to let the cable housing rotate a little so the twist isn't forced to a short section of cable housing at the speedometer end?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.