Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powdercoating wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I'm about ready to powdercoat a cookie cutter, and I am wondering if I should mask off the lug nut seats. What about the backside, where it contacts to the hub/rotor?
lagunero
I have a set that was powdercoated and they only did the front side so the hub area was left uncoated. Regarding the seats just cork them (I can't tell on mine)
Aaron Cox
i saw polished cookie cutters the other day (maybe they were chromed???) looked SICK!

anyone done chrome powedercoating? in their garage?
bondo
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 9 2005, 07:19 PM)
i saw polished cookie cutters the other day (maybe they were chromed???) looked SICK!

anyone done chrome powedercoating? in their garage?

Polished was the original plan. I saw them on a black ghia, and they were stunning. I halfway polished one, then found out about "black chrome" powder. I am now going to do another cookie in that and if I like it, will abandon the polishing plan.

I did chrome powdercoating in my garage, on an MG wire wheel. It came out pretty good, I posted a thread about it a while back.
Aaron Cox
black chrome? post a pic homie smile.gif

damn.... polishing takes too much work. i liked the bling of it
Dave_Darling
I would keep the powder off of all of the "precision machined" surfaces. That includes the center bore, the lug nut seating surfaces, and the back of the wheel where it sits on the hub. The powder has a specific thickness, and is very definitely not guaranteed to go on perfectly evenly. That means it will change the shapes and dimensions of these parts by a small and quasi-random amount. Probably not a good thing where tight tolerances have been maintained...

--DD
bondo
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 9 2005, 07:24 PM)
black chrome? post a pic homie smile.gif

damn.... polishing takes too much work. i liked the bling of it

pic from powder company: (I haven't tried it yet)
Aaron Cox
royce,
whats it cost you to do a set of 4 wheels + labor?
bondo
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Nov 9 2005, 07:25 PM)
I would keep the powder off of all of the "precision machined" surfaces. That includes the center bore, the lug nut seating surfaces, and the back of the wheel where it sits on the hub. The powder has a specific thickness, and is very definitely not guaranteed to go on perfectly evenly. That means it will change the shapes and dimensions of these parts by a small and quasi-random amount. Probably not a good thing where tight tolerances have been maintained...

--DD

Yeah, that was pretty much my reason for asking. I was hoping somebody would say something like: "people do it all the time and never have any problems". smile.gif Oh well, I'll mask it off.
bondo
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 9 2005, 07:38 PM)
royce,
whats it cost you to do a set of 4 wheels + labor?

Hehe, no idea. I have learned that whatever paint they used sucks to remove, and I'll probably pay to have the other three stripped professionally rather than go through that again. I don't yet know how much powder it uses for a wheel, and I'm afraid to consider how much electricity it takes. smile.gif
Flat VW
Doug Leggins, aka: Doug Leggins had all of his supension parts on the car he is building "black chromed" , smilie_pokal.gif SHARP LOOKING smilie_pokal.gif

John

Andyrew
Black chrome eh?

I've been wanting a gunmetal paint... But black chrome looks sick.

I've got some boxter 17's if you want to practice biggrin.gif

You got a powdercoating system?? All's we got is a double oven in the garage... that will fit 17's...

bondo
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Nov 10 2005, 11:04 AM)
Black chrome eh?

I've been wanting a gunmetal paint... But black chrome looks sick.

I've got some boxter 17's if you want to practice biggrin.gif

You got a powdercoating system?? All's we got is a double oven in the garage... that will fit 17's...

My oven is homebuilt using rigid foam insulation, then lined with fluffy fiberglass insulation. I'm starting to have problems with the fluff turning into dust that collects on the parts. I'm going to have to come up with a liner for it so the fluff isn't exposed. It's about 2'x3'x5'. It barely gets warm enough with a 1600 watt IR heater. I haven't done anything bigger than a wheel yet.

Anyone know of an adhesive that will hold up to 400 degrees? All I need to do is glue aluminum foil to it to seal off the fluff. smile.gif
TonyAKAVW
Anyone know of an adhesive that will hold up to 400 degrees? All I need to do is glue aluminum foil to it to seal off the fluff.

High temp Silicone RTV?

Probalby not so easy to apply, maybe you could roll it onto the aluminum foil...

-Tony
Andyrew
Bondo what site was that pic from??

Cant seem to find anything.
bondo
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Nov 10 2005, 02:26 PM)
Bondo what site was that pic from??

Cant seem to find anything.

Columbia Coatings
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.