Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Three 914 dismantling questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob K
1. Is there any trick to removing the wiring harness. I have everything disconnected at both ends of the firewall. Can the large "double ended grommet" be pulled thru the tunnel (on the interior side) or does it need to be slid over the engine/rear harness? I would hate to have to slice the double ended grommet lenghtwise in half to get if off. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Windshield removal: What is the best way to remove it without breaking it?

3. Anyone know the turning radius of the 914? I am adding onto my garage and plan to add a side entrance. My car is apart so I can't check it.

Thanks
Rob
GWN7
I) I know Andy did it with his car, said it was difficult....but doable. If I remember you have to take some of the ends off the wiring to fit it all thru.

2) Very carefully, cut the mastic which holds it in place with a wire type saw. The metal ones can place too much stress on the glass and cause it to crack.

3) Get a set of wheel dollys. You can turn the car around in it's own lenght if your garage floor is smooth enough.
McMark
1. Pull everything into the passenger compartment. You can pull it out without disassembling the connectors except for a few (headlight connections, for example).On the rear, you can pull the big long rubber tube along with the harness, don't try to pull the harness through it.

2. I usually use a putty knife and jab it into the butyl tape repeatedly until it is completely separated. The butyl will try to re attach itself. I go around once completely, then push on the window slightly (it won't come out most likely) and carefully go back around the window starting at the top. With pressure on the glass it should keep from reattaching. I'm confident that any butyl installed window can be removed without breakage.

3. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Nov 9 2005, 09:31 PM)
1. Pull everything into the passenger compartment. You can pull it out without disassembling the connectors except for a few (headlight connections, for example).On the rear, you can pull the big long rubber tube along with the harness, don't try to pull the harness through it.

agree.gif there's a thread about this in the classic threads section ...

smash.gif Andy
North Bay 914
QUOTE (514727625 @ Nov 9 2005, 07:46 PM)

3. Anyone know the turning radius of the 914? I am adding onto my garage and plan to add a side entrance. My car is apart so I can't check it.

Thanks
Rob

Ref. Front Axle, Chapter 4, Page 0.2-1/1 from the factory manual.

36 Feet

McMark
Nice work Martin. I didn't even think to look there. So much valuable information stuffed in those manuals. I learn something neat every time I open them up. smilie_pokal.gif
North Bay 914
I'll be by tomorrow with your stuff. Wife and I are coming over to Napa for lunch, after I get out of bed. I get off work a 05:30 AM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.