Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aux Air Regulator Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CHAFF
I know most people say just rip it out...However, has anyone replaced the pre-1974 AAR with a 74+ model which is still kind of available?

In other words replace a 0 280 140 007 with a 0 280 140 101 ?

Thanks
-L
Dave_Darling
Where is the 74+ one available?

I don't think it's a great idea to rip out the AAR; if yours doesn't work disassemble it and fix it!! Most of them seem to be saveable.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE (CHAFF @ Nov 9 2005, 10:37 PM)
I know most people say just rip it out...

you can get away with that here in CA, but in winnipeg? i don't know, i'd probably keep it (fix it) ...

wink.gif Andy
bd1308
here's what i thought about doing....

buy a 1.8L L-jet AAR from a late bus.....like 79....

you can convert that AAR to work in the 914 without too much trouble.

the plug is a heating element, so ground one pin and apply +12V to the other pin....from the coil.

it'll work jes dandy.

b
CHAFF
Yea, that's what I'm thinking of doing. I bet they will work the same. I'll let u guys know what happens.

I opened my AAR up and its toast. I'd rather replace it with something that works rather than dick with it anymore.

Actually I'm in Regina now and I was running up the car in sub 0degC or about 30F without the AAR and it was running fine. A little rough at first but otherwise just fine.

Cheers,
-L
ejm
Lots of cars had AAR's including many with CIS injection...this one is from a late '70's Rabbit.

Not an exact replacement but like Britt said "it'll work jes dandy."

fiid
All the AAR does is permit extra air into the engine for a "while".

You could use any modern fast idle valve and just hook it to a switch - or some kind of timer circuit; or even something with a temp sensor. It wouldn't be original, but it would work.

If you were trekkor lol2.gif you could go down to home depot and buy a household thermostat, and mount it in your engine bay, and have that control a modern FIDLE valve/solenoid.

chairfall.gif chairfall.gif

Sorry trekkor - just kidding smile.gif
bd1308
i'm sure a PVC elbow with a PCV valve would work too.

b
ClayPerrine
Don't hook it to the coil, it will cause a voltage drop in the coil circuit that can cause a loss of spark. There is a white wire already there for the AAR. Just hook that white wire to one side of the AAR, and hook the other wire to ground.

It will work fine. Plus, you can use an AAR from any 80s vw or Multiple japanese cars. Nissan used a licensed copy of the l-jet systems on many of their cars, and the parts are still available.

82 280zx will have an AAR that will work fine. Plus, you can buy the plug at the same time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.