Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Billet Connecting Rods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cnavarro
I've been working on our new billet H beam rods in conjunction with R&R Racing Products (manufacturer of billet connecting rods for over 20 years) for both the Porsche and VW. We've already designed and done the geometry for the following rods:

porsche 356/912
porsche 3.2 carrera/3.3 turbo/964

vw 5.000" center to center t1 journal 24 pin
vw 5.325, 5.5" center to centers chevy journal 22 pin
(both of which are commonly fitted to the type 4 crank)

The type 4 products will be retailed through Jake's online store.

If there are any other sizes someone particularly wants and just has to have, call me directly and I can make it happen. If there's a non vw or porsche rod that you just have to have, again, let me know- we're working on mitsu, toyota, etc- the list goes on and on. More than likely, I can lock in the estimated price on these first sets regardless of what they end up costing in the end.

Custom lengths will be no problem, as well as custom beam and bar thicknesses of the H. ARP2000 Rod bolts will be standard, L19 and Custom Age 625+ bolts are available (basic rod bolt price doubles at L19 and triples at Custom Age 625+). The material is a hopped up proprietary 4340 that gets pretty damn close to being in the range of 300M! Rods will be heat treated to 35-39 Rockwell on the C scale (comparable to Pauter and Carrillos) but we're going one step further and having them cryogenically treated as part of the heat treat process.

The $1000 (for four) price tag is an estimate, as we're still working on geometry and parts programs, and not until we actually have the rods done, will we know the true price, but our target is to make a rod that blows a Carrillo out of the water for a little more than a Pauter. The design will be based on a Dyer Top Rod for those who are familiar with their small block chevy 300m rods, as they are helping us through the entire process, as all they make is one sbc rod and they want someone to make the rest of them :-)

I'll be adding more information to my website as it develops. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
messix
seems like over kill unless your building a 600hp T4
Jake Raby
Nah....

There is no such thing as overkill when you are talking about connecting rods....

ChrisFoley
Charles, what about replacements for stock 1.8L rods for us rules limited racers? smile.gif
Mueller
A lot of good reading on the R&R Racing Products site....will you have your customers sign a release stating they know that these aluminum rods might not last as long as their stock rods depending on use??

They sure are pretty wub.gif
cnavarro
Chris, I'll defer that question to Jake as to the legality or anyone else more familiar with what each racing class/group will allow.

The rods shown on R&R's site are just their existing line of aluminum rods. As I do all their web work, I'm still playing catch up and hopefully will have their updates done in the next week or so, including information about the billet steel rods. Good reference though for the quality of their work!
Jake Raby
Charles, one of the samples that I gave you was for an F production rod....

Chris- That rod was the main one I was shooting for us to have made! As long as the rod is the same big and small end size as stock and the same center to center length, and is ferrous material it's production legal smilie_pokal.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 10 2005, 06:57 PM)
As long as the rod is the same big and small end size as stock and the same center to center length, and is ferrous material it's production legal smilie_pokal.gif

The small end doesn't have to be the same as stock, only the big end.
Jake Raby
I was referring to the fact that the wrist pin diameter can't change....
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 11 2005, 01:27 AM)
I was referring to the fact that the wrist pin diameter can't change....

Pistons and wrist pin diameter are unrestricted. I just checked my GCR.
Jake Raby
Really- I never knew that!

Okay, Charles we'll be making some amendments to those drawings for the FP rods!
Thorshammer
20mm, 20mm, 20mm Yeah Baby! smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.