Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing glue residue for vinyl numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
What's the best method for removing the glue residue left by vinyl numbers? A heat gun at low setting makes taking the numbers off easy, but how about the glue that's left?

Goof off?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Series9
Mineral spirits.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (914RS @ Nov 10 2005, 11:52 AM)
Mineral spirits.

wont that eat the paint? ohmy.gif
john rogers
I use WD-40 and it also takes off the marks on the hood and fenders left by rubber chunks when racing. Does not hurt paint, of course mine is genuine Mexican Dupont so it is pretty strong!!!! Wipe with some quick detailing spray afterwards.
Series9
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 10 2005, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (914RS @ Nov 10 2005, 11:52 AM)
Mineral spirits.

wont that eat the paint? ohmy.gif

No.
Porsche Rescue
Best thing to use is a product called "Goof Off". It is intended for removing adhesives (and other stuff). Great product. I use it for many purposes. Find it at Home Depot and most hardware stores. Will have no effect on auto paint.

edit: guess you know about it already
nomore9one4
Wd-40 its in everyones toolbox. blink.gif
groot
Race gas.....may hurt the paint.
lapuwali
Goof-Off and lots of elbow grease, usually. I had to resort to acetone on one set of bike bodywork once, which removed SOME paint, but not enough to even dull the finish. I'd not recommend getting that drastic, however.
Mark Henry
If you know a body guy ask him for some Pre-cleano.
ClayPerrine
Stuff called "Goo-Gone". Removes glue residue from painted surfaces.

BMartin914
Isn't goof off xylene?

Xylene eats paint and melts plastic (in my experience).
pfierb
Auto tar remover works well and no paint damage.
bd1308
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Nov 10 2005, 02:48 PM)
Isn't goof off xylene?

Xylene eats paint and melts plastic (in my experience).

I know from experience it does melt plastic....

i used it to take off scuff marks on computer cases with this stuff....its powerful, but you cant use too much. If you let it set without touching it for a minute or four, the plastic will "dry".

dunno if that helps any....

b
KenH
Gee - I thought 76 was a pretty good number.

Check at your local auto paint store for a Dupont product called "Prep-Sol". Removes "stuff" without harming the paint. If not Dupont, I am sure they have and equivilant.

Ken
nine14cats
Thanks for the list of ideas guys! I should have no problem cleaning off the glue scum... biggrin.gif

Ken, I like the number 76 that is on the car. In fact, the number is not taken for PRC, so that works. And if I just add a 1 to the 76 I get 761, which is not taken for PCA region or Zone 7.

Mostly, I need to take off scum from previous stickers.

Thanks,

Bill P.
Kargeek
WD40 works good...I also use a product available at auto detail supply shops called "Beauty Shine"...some kind of solvent that removes tar, sticker residue..comes in gallon cans. Great stuff.

3-M has a product called adheasive remover...

Beauty shine solvent
Allan
QUOTE (pfierb @ Nov 10 2005, 01:42 PM)
Auto tar remover works well and no paint damage.

agree.gif Turtlewax Bug & Tar remover. Works gud...
Yoei66
In the past I've used a hair drier to heat up the area where the glue is. Once heated the adhesive becomes gooey easily wipes off with mineral spirits or alcohol. Worked for me many times with bumber stickers on painted surfaces.
ChrisFoley
I use brake cleaner. It seems to work as well as all the other solvents. In my experience none of them works all that well - several applications are required to remove all the residue.
I have heard of but never seen a kind of eraser that goes in a drill and is used to remove the entire decal. I think they are available at auto paint suppliers.
campbellcj
I got some 3M adhesive remover. It specifically says that it 'will not harm most cured automotive paint finishes'.
seanery
mineral spirits is what I use for taking off the stuff that I test on my truck and car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.