Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: exhaust hanger stud specs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
need new studs. mine are fried. saw some on McMaster-Carr . what thread pitch are the old studs and size? i thought M10. i assume length isnt as important as the rest...

b
type47
i looked in the PET to see what i could find and the best i could find was 8 x 12mm and 8 x 16mm. at least it's 8mm for sure. i think you could even use a bolt found at your local hardware store. i am also looking for a great source of metric hardware. in my engine reassembly, almost every time i start something, the stud, bolt, washer, oring, something critical is missing.
bd1308
QUOTE (type47 @ Nov 10 2005, 04:13 PM)
i looked in the PET to see what i could find and the best i could find was 8 x 12mm and 8 x 16mm. at least it's 8mm for sure. i think you could even use a bolt found at your local hardware store. i am also looking for a great source of metric hardware. in my engine reassembly, almost every time i start something, the stud, bolt, washer, oring, something critical is missing.

thats right....
it was M8...thread pitch???

okay.

b

lapuwali
QUOTE (type47 @ Nov 10 2005, 02:13 PM)

I just found a site called BoltDepot, which has assortments of metric bolts, nuts, washers, etc. The $130-150 price of their assortments is a relative bargain. 15 years ago, I bought a similar assortment from Imparts (RIP) for $40, and only ran out of stuff a couple of years ago. $3/year to not have to make a trip to the store for a bolt is well worth the money, and even $15/year for 10 years is still more than worth it, esp. if you could finish the job tonight, or you have to wait until tomorrow when the store opens.

I haven't ordered from them, yet, but I plan to.

O-ring assortments can be had from a few places, including Harbor Freight.

bd1308
plus james, with something like that you could try different ones....1mm thread pitch, 1.25mm pitch...and see which one fit.

b
Cap'n Krusty
German cars typically use 8mm x 1.25. Asian cars do, too. Where the big difference comes in is at 10mm, with the Germans using 1.5 and the Asians preferring (in most cases) 1.25. The Cap'n
type47
yeah, sorry, 1.25 pitch typical. PET didn't specify pitch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.