Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speedometer needle bouncing '73 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
auggie91420
My speedo needle bounces until it hits 65-70 mph. Cable was changed a while back. Original speedo, 123k on the odo. Time for a rebuild, or could it be something else?javascript:emoticon(':smash:')
bd1308
its the speedometer angle drive....located on the transmission.

mine is going out too....but its staying put till i can afford the thing.

b
jd74914
britt

it just broke

laugh.gif
bd1308
blink.gif
jd74914
you know, if you say something isn't broken yet, it'll be broken the next time you look at it

murphy's law ring a bell? biggrin.gif
Howard
My speedo started screaming last weekend at the track with needle spinning wildly. Everyone said I needed a new cable, but I tried lubing the cable (motorcycle cable lube) and it's OK now. Don't know for how long, but couldnt hurt to try it.

Fun indicating 135 mph @4500 rpm. Tried to get a picture biggrin.gif
auggie91420
I also remember changing this out, checked my records, yup, 18 years ago (but only about 10k in mileage on the car since then). Is wear on the angle drive itself the typical cause of the bouncing needle, or could it be something else? Either way, I'll pull it out and mess with it. I wouldn't think that it could be trashed already based just on mileage wear.

I paid $47 for it back in '86, can only imagine what they cost now. If I do need a new one, the needle can keep bouncing....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.