Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floor pans how to thread?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Verruckt
I looked through the classics, and tried some keyword searches, but just get threads with references to floorpans. I KNOW I've seen one here before...

Does anybody know who the author was? That would help me out. Thanks in advance.
grasshopper
this is a good one wink.gif Floors
Verruckt
Damnit, thats it. Thanks. wink.gif

I havent seen him post for a while, so his name escaped me for some reason.
Trekkor
I know McMark has been working on a car that needed floor pans replaced.

maybe took some pics confused24.gif

KT
McMark
Here are my pictures. I don't know if they'll be helpful, but here they are anyway. wink.gif

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Verruckt
McMark

Thanks for the pics. The area I was really looking at was the front. The thing is, I havent got my floorpans from rust o design yet, and am really curious where they should be cust at...

But thanks for that, that does answer some stuff for me. biggrin.gif
McMark
Here's some more pics. The floor pan metal actually goes quite far into the front trunk section of the car. From the passenger cabin, the floor pan metal forms the floor of the gas tank cavity. This image shows it in orange. This section in the gas tank cavity is not included on the replacement pieces.
McMark
On the passengers side of the floor pan there is a more obvious place to cut the metal. I would cut just in front of the spot welds and then butt weld there. This avoids having to drill out that section of spot welds as well as results in a stronger join, IMHO. The section in orange is what's included on the replacement pieces.
McMark
Here's the drivers side. This one is a little more complicated. The floor pan metal slopes up to form the attachment point for the brake master cylinder. This sloped section is not included in the replacement pieces and the orange section in this picture roughly shows what is included, and therefore where you need to cut.
Verruckt
Ok, that's what I was looking for. From the pictures on the resto design site, it looks as though the pans dont go all the way to the front bulkhead/firewall/whatever... so I was wanting to know where to cut. Those are a big help. Thanks! smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
From underneath things are a little more clear. Again, the orange section is the replacement pieces. The floorpans are "lap" spot welded to the longs along their whole length. When the longs reach the inner fenders the floor pans are pinch spot welded along that curve. Finally, you must cut a freehand line from one side of the car to the other. Don't be afraid not to use the whole replacement piece if it works out better. Cut where it makes the most sense and trim the replacement pieces to match.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.