914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d914

I know there are a thousand threads......just a quick one

- outside and inside long ok,
- battery tray and passenger engine shelf out
- half dollar size hole in top of long otherwise pretty solid
- engman kit going in

Fix: just weld in a top patch???

any thing to pour into the long itself??
2-OH!
Swab POR 15 in and back as far as you can reach...I cut the ever present rust hole just large enough to squeeze my hand in there and make a swab out of a coat hanger and cotten rag...Swab fore and aft...Two coats...If it is really rusted, try to get out as much as you can scrape before the POR...Finish all welding first...(except for the top of course) Heat will cause the POR to form a bubble (water catcher)...You can use weldable primer on the underside of the final top piece before you weld it in...

Use rubber gloves !!!

Oh by the way, the label on the can is correct about getting it on your skin...It won't come off for 6 - 7 years...Your arm won't rust either, but people will make fun of you...

2-OH!

McMark
I would spray rust converter in there. My understanding is that POR-15 is only a protective coating/barrier. So you need to convert the rust first anyway for POR-15 to really do its best. I'd use a rust converter like Metal-Ready and put a patch on it and never look back.
nomore9one4
quick question on hell Hole, anything inside? happy11.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE (2-OH! @ Nov 11 2005, 03:46 PM)
Swab POR 15 in and back as far as you can reach...I cut the ever present rust hole just large enough to squeeze my hand in there and make a swab out of a coat hanger and cotten rag...Swab fore and aft...Two coats...If it is really rusted, try to get out as much as you can scrape before the POR...Finish all welding first...(except for the top of course) Heat will cause the POR to form a bubble (water catcher)...You can use weldable primer on the underside of the final top piece before you weld it in...

Use rubber gloves !!!

Oh by the way, the label on the can is correct about getting it on your skin...It won't come off for 6 - 7 years...Your arm won't rust either, but people will make fun of you...

2-OH!

Oh I beg to differ my fine feathered friend.. 220 grit sand paper works wonders... laugh.gif I actually got some on my arm, not much, but enonugh, and I thought OH SH**!!! Got a hold of the closest thing I could find, brake cleaner, (thinking swiftley) sprayed a little on a rag rubbed the arm and a llittle paper for the remainder. OUCH!!!!!

Oh Use long sleeves... dry.gif We live and learn.. av-943.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (bmunday @ Nov 13 2005, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (2-OH! @ Nov 11 2005, 03:46 PM)

Use rubber gloves !!!

2-OH!

Oh I beg to differ my fine feathered friend.. 220 grit sand paper works wonders... laugh.gif I actually got some on my arm, not much, but enonugh, and I thought OH SH**!!! Got a hold of the closest thing I could find, brake cleaner, (thinking swiftley) sprayed a little on a rag rubbed the arm and a llittle paper for the remainder. OUCH!!!!!

Oh Use long sleeves... dry.gif We live and learn.. av-943.gif

I found that the Cheapo-FLAPS brake cleaner is mild enough to actually clean your hands with.

I bought some Carb Cleaner (different stuff) and sprayed it on my hands....BURNED like a mother for fifteen seconds, and then my hand dried up like a prune. Ended up shedding the skin on that hand too.....

WOAH.
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Nov 11 2005, 04:58 PM)
I would spray rust converter in there. My understanding is that POR-15 is only a protective coating/barrier. So you need to convert the rust first anyway for POR-15 to really do its best. I'd use a rust converter like Metal-Ready and put a patch on it and never look back.

agree.gif POR-15 is just a coat, it will *not* do anything to existing rust. get a bottle of Metal-Ready and spray the hell out of the hole in your hellhole ...

cut the rusted parts around the hole generously, clean out the inside as good as possible, spray in metal ready, weld patch over the hole.
pray.

smash.gif Andy
Hammy
Don't POR-15 first! you'll just be hiding rusty areas that way. Get some Oshpo or Metal ready or something and spray it in there.
Allan
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 13 2005, 07:52 AM)
I bought some Carb Cleaner (different stuff) and sprayed it on my hands....BURNED like a mother for fifteen seconds, and then my hand dried up like a prune. Ended up shedding the skin on that hand too.....

WOAH.

Yep, especially if you get it under your wedding ring...
Lou W
i used this on mine, then welded in a new plate:

Rust Bullet

IMHO, I think it does a better job than Por-15.
bd1308
QUOTE (Headrage @ Nov 13 2005, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 13 2005, 07:52 AM)

WOAH.

Yep, especially if you get it under your wedding ring...

did it...i have a promise ring thingy....BURNED to no end.

b
Brando
Wierd... I use carb cleaner/brake cleaner on my hands sometimes when soap isn't around... never have probs.
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Brando @ Nov 13 2005, 02:16 PM)
Wierd... I use carb cleaner/brake cleaner on my hands sometimes when soap isn't around... never have probs.

Well you have oil in your veins.. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.