Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: handeling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
what can i do to better the handeling on my stock 1.7?

my budget is $200 flat?

what will make the most difference in that price range?
anything?

what are turbo tie rods?

would i need something besides just tie rods?
or do they bolt right up?
Hammy
Sway bar
shaggy
fro $200 flat?
TimT
for $200 just stash that in a high interest acount...let it grow

come back when it is way more than $200 and improve things

sorry but $200 doesnt get you alot in improvements

shaggy
ya that kinda what i thought

im looking for car parts for my birthday from my parents

not really trim pieces but rather performance parts
not really engine stuff either...

id really like new shocks but 200 wont do that

any ideas for $200?
i kinda need em pretty quick my birthday is december 5 (ill be 18! biggrin.gif )

-jim
Always Looking
I don't think a new set of bisteins cost much more than 200. Try shox.com. cheapest I found beerchug.gif

If you have to choose, do the fronts first.
Britain Smith
Get a 22mm Welt front adjustable sway bar. I got mine for $200 used, including the droplinks.

While you are there, you should upgrade the rear springs to 160lbs and get Bilstiens all around...

Agreed, $200 is nothing for upgrading a Porsche. Ask everyone for money at Christmas.

-Britain
shaggy
from now on all holidays and birthdays are chances for car parts!

so bilsteins?

can i bolt em right on or do i need new struts?

can i do 4 corners for 200?
jd74914
no, maximum of 2 corners for $200, but even that is unlikely.

edit: I spoke too soon. Rears can be had for about $100 each, but fronts are about $140 each
Spoke
QUOTE (shaggy @ Nov 12 2005, 10:23 PM)
what are turbo tie rods?

would i need something besides just tie rods?
or do they bolt right up?

From what I was told, turbo tie rods are tie rods + tie rod ends + ball-joint type connectors to the steering rack that were initially designed for one of Porsche's turbo engined cars - thus the name "turbo tie rods".

The turbo tie rods fit perfectly on 914s and replace the rubber bushing that connects the 914 tie rod to the steering rack + tie rods + tie rod ends. They can be found at Pelican or AutoAtlanta. Some cheap versions have been sold on Evilbay.

Several aftermarket turbo tie rods are available. I believe Lemforder is one of the reputable manufacturers.

Unfortunately for your budget, turbo tie rods will suck up most of your $200. I bought turbo tie rods since my tie rod ends were shot. After that I realized the ball joints were also shot and needed replaced.

My suggestion for your handling, make a list of stuff to buy to upgrade (front/rear shocks, front/rear swaybars, rear springs, turbo tie rods, ball joints) and buy each one as $$ allow.

Tightening up the front WRT good tie rod ends and ball joints should come first. In PA, a car will not pass inspection if the tie rod ends or ball joints are sloppy.

Spoke
Aaron Cox
buy yourself some good tires....or some seat time

learn to drive it as is...
buy grippy tires
learn to drive it again
improve suspension
learn to drive it again
improve motor
learn to drive it again

get the drift? be ricky racer in a stock car.... then go ricky racer with improved....then modified etc....more fun that way....
Trekkor
Yep, Aaron has it nailed.

To really make these cars handle ( really, really ) you need $2k wacko.gif

Get tires first.

KT

gregrobbins
Jim, if I recall, you don't have a front sway bar. The factory unit was 15mm. They can be found used for around $100 and stiffer rear springs can be found for $50 or so. I think I would start there, and get involved with PCA or SCCA autocross. Hit your old man up for "safe" tires, after all he wore out the ones that are on the car now. He loves you and wants you to be safe, right? 205s should fit without any bodywork.

John, do you do guilt? If so, make sure your kid is safe and get him a 911 front suspension for Christmas. biggrin.gif
airsix
Swaybar.
Stock swaybar.
Weltmiester swaybar.
H&H swaybar.
Charleybar swaybar.
Tarret swaybar.
Smart racing swaybar.
S-car-go swaybar.
Any used 914 swaybar.
Found it in the junkyard I think it might fit swaybar.
Any swaybar.

Swaybar.

-Ben M.

(you'll get more speed performance from shocks and tires, but NO 914 should be without a swaybar - It transforms everything about how the car drives. A 914 without a swaybar is a diamond hiding inside a turd.)
grasshopper
QUOTE (shaggy @ Nov 12 2005, 07:38 PM)
i kinda need em pretty quick my birthday is december 5 (ill be 18! biggrin.gif )

sweet! my birthday is dec 5 too!!!..... i'll be 15 dry.gif .... i do get my leaners license though! smilie_pokal.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Nov 12 2005, 09:49 PM)

1. Hit your old man up for "safe" tires, after all he wore out the ones that are on the car now. He loves you and wants you to be safe, right? 205s should fit without any bodywork.

2. John, do you do guilt? If so, make sure your kid is safe and get him a 911 front suspension for Christmas. biggrin.gif

1. The car has Michelin(sp?) Pilots on it now 205/55, with probably less than 6,500 miles on them. They ARE new.

2. Only to a point, if his grandfolks had their way he would be driving a 198* Dodge _______, four door, for "safety reasons"...... (hope I never regret these words pray.gif )

We need to get back to "running" before we are concerned with handling............. w00t.gif

John wavey.gif
shaggy
1. michelin pilot xgt v4s 205/55

2. 83 plymouth grand fury, you wont have a reason to regert that (no tickets or accidents on the first year, only one of my friends to do it)

so sway bar huh?
is there a best one for 200?

anyone have one used for under 200 thats good and worth it?
Brando
Hey Shaggy, I feel for you man. Right now I'm nickel & dime-ing my upgrades.

Aaron is right (now if only he could learn to drive!). With that $200 get some seat time at a DE event. Then when you have more cash saved dump it on a front 19, 20, 21 or 23mm front swaybar. Get a list and make sure you get everything together, or you'll be spending and waiting... spending and waiting (made that mistake).

After you get the front swaybar in, spend time driving it (this is where a private twisty road is beneficial) and adjusting it to your liking. You might want to lower the car to less-than-stock ride height. Keep in mind if/when you do the rear swaybar you get to tweak everything again wacko.gif

I wouldn't replace the front or rear shocks until they're bad or you've got about $500-$800 burning a hole in your pocket and ready to swap.

Take a look at the attached picture. Want to know how that started? I said to myself "I just want the car to ride nice." Look where I am now!!! Don't worry, you'll be doing the same in a year's time.

Don't forget, DI/DE events with lots of seat time take precedence! Having a car that goes fast/handles great is pointless if you don't know how to control it!
shaggy
new shocks would be good at this point

mine are spent
richardmosselman
DEC 5-sweet! My b/day too...unfortunately I'll be 49!!!...in the same boat tho,just got my 1st 914 and I'm asking for money for my b/day and x-mas too! sounds like you're in for a lifelong obsession.Cheers.
STL914
Shaggy,

Just sent you a PM on my factory front sway bar that's for sale.

Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.