Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: short shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
I installed a short shifter and I when I went to test it I found that I can't get into 4th or 5th gear because the extended shifter now hits the cluch cable tube. I have rotated the shift bar to try and compensate for the new length with little success. Any ideas?

TIA,
Mike
Cap'n Krusty
Rotating a straight rod doesn't result in much change, does it?
Looks like you're gonna have to elevate the shift tower by installing a spacer between the base plate and the tunnel. The few kits I've seen for 914s come with a plate for this purpose. Might even have to move the shift assembly to the right. Think about it: Moving the pivot point up results in increased length below that point, making the swept arc larger. That means there needs to be more clearance under there to allow for the increased lateral movement. Planning helps, salesmen don't. The Cap'n
mikelsr
I had thought about raising it up. Thanks.
r_towle
I had the weltmeister kit (which I have since removed)

It raised the rear only of the shifter base plate by about 10mm...

The front was still attached...this cleared the problem.

Rich

Dr Evil
I have the Weltmeister kit currently and the spacer on mine raise the whole deal abotu 1/2". Before this it was scraping the tunnel floor.
mikelsr
Thanks. I put some 10mm spacers in and still needed to go higher. I need to get some longer bolts, cut some longer spacers and if that works, then form up and cut out a real spacer.

Mike
ChrisFoley
When this happened to me I discovered that the clutch cable tube was no longer connected to the tunnel at the front the way it is supposed to be. Once I re-attached the tube to the side of the tunnel the contact went away.
mikelsr
Thanks for the info. I did look at the clutch cable and saw that up towards the front of the tunnel there was a clip holding the tube to the left side of the tunnel. It was good and tight.

But tonight I did get it adjusted so I can use it with out any spacers, etc. I do like the feel of the shortened shifter but I will really find out this weekend at our last AX for the year.

Thanks for everyones input.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.