Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nitrous...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Angelface01
So I'm looking to get some more power out of my 1.7 FI motor and thought NOS was the best bang for the buck. Of course I would love a 3.2 but that isn't in the budget. So has anyone here ever used nitrous on a stock type 4 motor and had success. The idea was to only use it during autcross events and the like. Any advice would be helpful. burnout.gif
Mueller
if keep at reasonable levels, it can be used...the real question is whether or not the organization you plan on auto-x'n allows it.

not allowed in PCA and I'm betting the same for SCCA

Angelface01
good call on the rules w/ PCA. Guess I better start saving my pennies for that six.
Andyrew
there was a guy that ran nos... 50 shot I believe on a stock setup...

He also ran his exhaust straight off the heat exchangers dry.gif

It was.... loud...

Didnt talk to him about if it was quick or not... but I would think a turbo would be a better bet.

You'd run through nos really fast on an autox, and it would danger the engine..
shaggy
ive heard use 2 tanks

1 to blow throught however you are gonna deliver it (dirrect port, wet or dry, wet would be best on a 914 and remain resonable)

2nd tank to blow through an intercooler you would have to mount in the engine
that would blow super cold air throught there to help cool it

you probably wouldnt wanna mount a button in your stearing wheel or nething tacky like that
you could make a bracket and mount it off the rear bulkhead with a switch that would open the valve only when the throttle body moves to full open or damn close

i was thinking about doingit but decided against it my main worry was giving it full throttle out of the gate in 1st seeing as how 1st spins out so fast it seems like it would be easy to over rev it and pop the engine
Angelface01
Yeah, the idea was to have it come on only at full throttle, no fancy buttons for this application.
Andyrew
The thing to do would be a full throttle switch at either the throttle body, or the gas pedal, and a switch to turn it off... You dont want a wet setup spraying extra gas in the system when your out of nos.

Intercooler would only help if the ambient temp was lower than the intake temp... since his application is N/A, the ambient temp is the same as the intake temp (give or take a couple of degree's for engine temp radiation)

Angelface01
Hey Jim, I did a search and saw you had a thread on getting more power out of the 1.7. Did you try anything yet?
shaggy
she's on a diet

removed the condensed and compresser and the ac unit itself

engine is out now so i dont know if its any faster feeling

replacing fuel filter hopfully thatll make a little difference

adjusted valves...
new exhaust got an ansa weights twice as much but sure as hell feels like it flows better and it just sounds cool, even if people cant see my car they can hear it, and i like the chrome tips
cleaned the oil bath air filter

id really like to turbo it but havnt really looked into it yet, id like to have some capitol before i start looking for stuff

im still open to suggestions
planning on upgrading the suspension first

good luck if you think of anything please let me know
-jim
Dr Evil
Sup neighbor!

If you need local help with your car (between tests) I'm local, have had a 1.7, 2.0, and now a 2.7/6. wavey.gif
Angelface01
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/h...ome.php?cat=308 here's the massive type 4 engines by Jake Raby. I like the idea of the 2.0 turbo. It's price ballpark as a six conversion byt weighs less.
Jake Raby
And that combination is getting a comprehensively developed Turbo plumbing system as we speak... EFI and intercooling is standard on every arrangement I am working with.
Angelface01
Sounds like an incredible combination, what kind of HP figures does it have w/ the lightened flywheel and balanced internals?
Angelface01
Hey Dr. Evil, have you made it out to the CPA PCA autocrosses at the Giant Center this year? If so, I'm the young kid in the really low and really bright orange 914, the name's Sean
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.