Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
watsonrx13
Well, I've talked with Paul about my carb issues and was wondering who would be available this weekend to help me diagnosis the problem.

BTW, Paul, you're automatically needed, along with your fuel pressure gauge, just let me know which day....

OK, based on Paul's recommendation, I will be working on the car Saturday. I'll get out to the shop around 10:00 am and will stay until ????? Maybe I can convince my in-laws to allow us to use their grill and cook some burgers.....

Here are the directions:

If you're coming from Tampa, take I-4 east, then I-75 south, then:
If you're coming from Orlando/Lakeland, take I-4 west, then I-75 south, then:
If you're coming from Sarasota, take I-75 north, stay south of I-4, then:
If you're coming from Temple Terrace, take I-75 south, go past I-4, then:

exit Mango/MLK and go to the left. You will then turn left at light (MLK/574). Crossover I-75, turn left at next light (Williams). You'll go about 1/2 mile to Clay Pit Road and turn right. It'll be the first drive on the right. The yard is surrounded by 4'-6' wooden fence.
Park in back.

If you have any problems/delays,
cell: 813 390-1891

-- Rob
URY914
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Nov 14 2005, 06:21 AM)
Well, I've talked with Paul about my carb issues and was wondering who would be available this weekend to help me diagnosis the problem. Please let me know which day, Saturday or Sunday, than I will notify everyone. I can only meet one weekend day, the other day is dedicated to my wife....

BTW, Paul, you're automatically needed, along with your fuel pressure gauge, just let me know which day....

-- Rob

Rob,

I PM'd John (Stock93) about Saturday around 2:00. He said that would be good for him.

Who else do you think would be coming? confused24.gif

Paul
watsonrx13
I think Eric (Pudge) might be able to come. I was hoping for TC, Steve, John and maybe Doug and Bob. Anyone else you might recommend?
URY914
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Nov 14 2005, 06:28 AM)
I think Eric (Pudge) might be able to come. I was hoping for TC, Steve, John and maybe Doug and Bob. Anyone else you might recommend?

That's a lot of people working on two carbs! ohmy.gif

We'll have to take turns.
watsonrx13
I'm hoping that enough people show up, we might be able to find the problem and fix it. Then I can take everyone for a ride.....
carr914
I think I can be there.

T.C.
KevinP
Rob,
What kind of problems are you having with the carbs? Are you gonna need any kind of special tool? carb sync,ect
BTW what set up are you using- Webbers, Dell's ?

KP
watsonrx13
QUOTE (KevinP @ Nov 14 2005, 11:43 AM)
Rob,
What kind of problems are you having with the carbs? Are you gonna need any kind of special tool? carb sync,ect
BTW what set up are you using- Webbers, Dell's ?

KP

I'm running twin 40 IDFs. I have the carb sync gauge. The problem I'm having is the fuel is leaking into the carb with the engine stopped/shut off. I have the rotary fuel pump, specifically designed for carbs, 3-4 psi. I have also adjusted the float level, per the Weber documentation. I'm at the point I just need someone with more experience than me to give it a 'once over'. I've asked Paul to bring his fuel pressure gauge so that I can definately eliminate the fuel pressure issue.

Hey Kev, it would be great if you could drop by also....

-- Rob
smg914
I have a tennis match Saturday morning with the team I play on. The captain hasn't called me yet to tell me where the match is at (home or away). However, I should be able to be at your place by 2:00 pm. Keep in mind, I know more about 914 fuel injection then I do about carburetors but I love burgers.
URY914
QUOTE (smg914 @ Nov 14 2005, 07:54 AM)
but I love burgers.

I was waiting for Rob to step up with lunch... laugh.gif
KevinP
Rob,
I'll see if i can make it, I 'm thinking of putting a set of dell's or webbers on car. This would give me a chance to set what you got going. I'll let ya know if i can make it.

KP
Joe Ricard
You might want to go ahead and get a rebuild kit. Seems like the problem is a bad inlet valve. I can't imagine the floats would be screwed up but if you think so I will send you a box of parts.
Ya must have gotten sumpin in the fuel system. I didn't experience any of these problems while I set up the carbs here.

Let me know
watsonrx13
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 14 2005, 01:07 PM)
You might want to go ahead and get a rebuild kit. Seems like the problem is a bad inlet valve. I can't imagine the floats would be screwed up but if you think so I will send you a box of parts.  
Ya must have gotten sumpin in the fuel system.  I didn't experience any of these problems while I set up the carbs here.  

Let me know

Thanks Joe for the recommendation, I'll go by Fisher Buggies this week and get the rebuild kit for the 40's. If this is the case, the only thing that might have happened was I installed the fuel tank and began getting fuel from it. I had a fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump and also a filter between the fuel pump and the carbs, maybe something got through. Anyway, I know the carbs were working great when I got the engine home, installed it and was running it from a plastic gas can......

We shall see..... biggrin.gif

-- Rob
Joe Ricard
And while you got the fuel pressure gauge ......... Go ahead and install a regulator. biggrin.gif Aircooled.net has a nice Holley unit. DON'T GET THE CHEAP DIAL 5 POSITION CRAPPY ONE.
URY914
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 14 2005, 11:19 AM)
And while you got the fuel pressure gauge ......... Go ahead and install a regulator. biggrin.gif Aircooled.net has a nice Holley unit. DON'T GET THE CHEAP DIAL 5 POSITION CRAPPY ONE.

That's what I told Rob too.

Rob, you can get one locally at Automotive Engineering in Pinellas on 19 or in Tampa on 56th Street just north of the river.

P
stock93
Hey Rob,
Since Paul will be over at your place at 2:00, I'll just meet up with him over there. Disregard my pm. I'll be there sometime around 2:00pm.

John
carr914
Let me know about the time. Also time for a little hijack. I'm parting out a car, and I've got just about everything- 914, 914-6. The rolling chassis/ tub, is worth it just for the fivelug setup. Tampa guys get 1st crack before it goes to eBay. See Ya Saturday.

T.C.
watsonrx13
OK, I'm going to be at my 'shop' around 10:00 am and it looks like everyone else will be showing up around 2:00, therefore, we'll have a late lunch between 2 and 3. If you're interested in arriving early, your more than welcomed... biggrin.gif

I have listed the following participants, let me know if you're bringing anyone extra or you don't want burgers:

Paul (URY914)
TC (carr914)
Kevin (KevinP)
Steve (smg914)
John (stock93)
Brett (iiibdsiil)
Glenn (Greyhound)

BTW, if anyone has a set of inside/outside calipers, please bring them so I can carefully measure the float specs.

-- Rob
iiibdsiil
Can I come by and just hang out? I'd love to get to know some of ya'll. I can come early if you want/need. I'm mechanically inclined and I'd love to give a hand anywhere I'm needed.

- Brett Smith
watsonrx13
QUOTE (iiibdsiil @ Nov 14 2005, 09:20 PM)
Can I come by and just hang out? I'd love to get to know some of ya'll. I can come early if you want/need. I'm mechanically inclined and I'd love to give a hand anywhere I'm needed.

- Brett Smith

Brett, your more than welcomed.... I'll add you to the list of eaters also...

BTW, you haven't made a TBB (Tampa Bay Breakfast) yet, have you?

Looking forward to meeting you....

-- Rob
URY914
Rob,
Better give some directions to these guys. Also I can pick up the last remaining pieces of that burnt car and take them to the dumpster.

P
watsonrx13
QUOTE (URY914 @ Nov 14 2005, 09:48 PM)
Rob,
Better give some directions to these guys. Also I can pick up the last remaining pieces of that burnt car and take them to the dumpster.

P

See first posting for directions.....

-- Rob
iiibdsiil
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Nov 14 2005, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (iiibdsiil @ Nov 14 2005, 09:20 PM)
Can I  come by and just hang out? I'd love to get to know some of ya'll. I can come early if you want/need. I'm mechanically inclined and I'd love to give a hand anywhere I'm needed.

- Brett Smith

Brett, your more than welcomed.... I'll add you to the list of eaters also...

BTW, you haven't made a TBB (Tampa Bay Breakfast) yet, have you?

Looking forward to meeting you....

-- Rob

Not yet. I haven't been on the board much lately. I'll explain the problems with the car when I meet ya'll, it's just had me a little "eh" about everything.

I look forward to meeting ya'll. Can you PM me your address by chance? It makes it easier for me to understand the "Turn left, turn right" stuff when I have at least kinda seen it on a map.

Thanks a bunch, I look forward to meeting everyone!
Joe Ricard
I am this close >< to firing up the racer and heading east. Wanna sit in the pass seat on the red cars maiden voyage. driving.gif
watsonrx13
OK, I'm going to be out at the shop around noon. We'll start cooking burgers around 2, see ya'll there.... mueba.gif
URY914
I can't get there till 2:00 so see if you guys can get the problem figured out so I can enjoy lunch without smelling like gas. biggrin.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE (URY914 @ Nov 16 2005, 09:17 AM)
I can't get there till 2:00 so see if you guys can get the problem figured out so I can enjoy lunch without smelling like gas. biggrin.gif

Nope, you have to get here early so we can check the fuel pressure... wink.gif

Besides, burgers taste/smell better with gas fumes.... biggrin.gif
Greyhound
Rob, can I come too? I will stay out of the way. I want to hang out with some other local 914 folks. Can I bring something: food, chips, beer, sodas, or? Can I come, huh? Glen Clayton ( Greyhound). I won't bring my dog. clap.gif
stock93
Rob,
Looks like were having a Tampa Bay 914 meet at your house. I guess we could try to fix your carb problem while we're there smile.gif

John
watsonrx13
QUOTE (Greyhound @ Nov 16 2005, 03:10 PM)
Rob, can I come too? I will stay out of the way. I want to hang out with some other local 914 folks. Can I bring something: food, chips, beer, sodas, or? Can I come, huh? Glen Clayton ( Greyhound). I won't bring my dog. clap.gif

Absolutely Glenn... see you Saturday... rolleyes.gif

What, someone is offering to bring something?.....yea.... smilie_pokal.gif
iiibdsiil
Anything specific to bring? I was gonna pick up some drinks (non-alcoholic, I'm under 21), but everyone else is probably bringing a 12 pack of something.
watsonrx13
QUOTE (iiibdsiil @ Nov 16 2005, 05:32 PM)
Anything specific to bring? I was gonna pick up some drinks (non-alcoholic, I'm under 21), but everyone else is probably bringing a 12 pack of something.

Soft drinks sound great. I would prefer no alcholic beverages, I don't want to encourage any drinking, then driving....

Joe Ricard
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Nov 16 2005, 01:43 PM)
QUOTE (iiibdsiil @ Nov 16 2005, 05:32 PM)

Soft drinks sound great. I would prefer no alcholic beverages, I don't want to encourage any drinking, then driving....

blink.gif
Yup bunch of southern boys a car and beer.. Many a good story was told by the survivors of that combination.

Hey hold my beer. Watch this ya'll........... w00t.gif
Joe Ricard
I'll be leaving Friday morning to come your way Rob. you got a pm too.
SOM BICH it's cold here. Good thing I still got them heaters hooked up.
Suppose it is a good time to pick up my parts too Paul. See ya'll on Saturday.
watsonrx13
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 17 2005, 04:28 PM)
I'll be leaving Friday morning to come your way Rob.  you got a pm too.
SOM BICH it's cold here.   Good thing I still got them heaters hooked up.
Suppose it is a good time to pick up my parts too Paul.  See ya'll on Saturday.

Come on down, the weather's great hear in 'Sunny Florida'.... mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
Joe Ricard
Yea supposed to get down to 34 tonight. wacko.gif
Going to Florida now that them Hurricanes SEEM to be done.
Man them new 21mm torsion bars and 200 springs are going to hurt.
URY914
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 17 2005, 12:28 PM)
I'll be leaving Friday morning to come your way Rob. you got a pm too.
SOM BICH it's cold here. Good thing I still got them heaters hooked up.
Suppose it is a good time to pick up my parts too Paul. See ya'll on Saturday.

Joe,
I'll bring the doors. Do you want this POS wiring harness too?

P
smg914
Here are a few pictures of everyone helping Rob work on his 1974 914 2.0. The car is at his mother-in-laws and she prepared a wonderful lunch for us all and it was fabulous. Oh, and we got the car started and it sounded great.
smg914
pic. 2
smg914
pic. 3 Glen Clayton's 1972 1.7
smg914
TC by my 1970 914-6
d914
hey what ever happened to the guy buying the the blue turbo back from some collection, tamap/clearwater area??
rhodyguy
what was the fix for the carbs?

k
URY914
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Nov 20 2005, 08:18 AM)
what was the fix for the carbs?

k

Fuel pump was putting out 400 psi. ohmy.gif
smg914
QUOTE (d914 @ Nov 20 2005, 08:14 AM)
hey what ever happened to the guy buying the the blue turbo back from some collection, tamap/clearwater area??

That was Rob Q. over in Clearwater looking into buying his 914 turbo back from the guy he sold it to in Texas. All I can remember is that Rob never did get the car.
ein 6er
sorry i missed you guys, had to work. sad.gif

glad you got 'er fixed!! clap.gif

Joe Ricard
Back home just a few hours ago. Just in time to see Mark Martin nearly win.
Anyway rained the WHOLE way home 576 miles of figging rain! The Red Neck Racer ran great all the way home.
Made great gas milage again and when i could I had he hammer down about 95 MPH couple sprints to 120 but those are short with traffic.
Man I'm glad we gotthat car running. Gets me off the hook forthe build.

Rob I sugest an oil change before you do anythig else. There was enough gas running into the carb I was expecting it to come out the dipstick.
SO CHANGE THE OIL CHANGE THE OIL CHANGE THE OIL. poke.gif
Sure was a pretty day and some pretty teeners (and my ugly one). dry.gif

So what did we learn. gasgoes bad in about 2 weeks and after several months you do this headbang.gif headbang.gif and your mechanic does this chair.gif and slap.gif Good thing we didn't have to go here alfred.gif

Nice to meet all Ya'll maybe come down for a breakfast some time.
URY914
Joe,
Glad to hear you made it home OK.
Wish we had more time to talk.

Next time my car is coming off the trailer for you to give it a spin ohmy.gif
watsonrx13
I want to thank everyone for helping me get my teener running again and a big THANK YOU to Joe Ricard coming from Mississippi.

Like Joe pointed out, the lesson learned was the gas goes 'bad' after 2-3 weeks. You can tell it's bad because it turns orange. As Paul mentioned, the fuel pump I got, that was designed for carbs, was putting out WAY TOO much pressure, it pegged the gauge. So anyway, I went up to the FLAPS and bought the square facet pump, rated 2-3.5 psi, installed and we were running. Joe and I also rebuilt both carbs, which is when we found the 'bad' gas.

Joe, Brett and I also aligned the car, man is this time consuming, even with 3 people.

We got alot done:

1. engine running
2. alignment
3. installed front and rear trunk lids
4. installed rear bumper

Now that the engine is running, it brought out new issues. The alternator light stays on. Hey Joe, did you ever figure out if it was charging the battery? Anyone know why the light would be on?

Also, Steve noticed the clutch didn't appear to be fully disengaging the clutch, but all of the threads on the shaft were taken up. Therefore, I'm going to need to add some spacers. BTW, it has a new clutch, pp, clutch cable and rebuilt pedal cluster. After discussions, it was decided that it is normal for the new clutch cable to be too long.

Once I get the clutch adjusted correctly, I need to drive it to check the brakes and gear shaft alignment. With the Thanksgiving weekend next, I'm hoping to finish the adjustments and be ready for the next TBB breakfast.

Thanks again to Joe, Brett, John, Steve, Paul, TC, Glenn for your assistance.... smilie_pokal.gif

-- Rob
Joe Ricard
Yea the ALT is charging. Must got the wrong wire hooked to the wrong bulb. Sumpin is giving you the excitaation voltage to start charging. Makes me wonder if the oil pressure and charging light ain't switched. wacko.gif

Did I mention CHANGE THE OIL? and now get an OIL PRESSURE GAUGE
idiot lights are only for idiots.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.