Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail of the Dragon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davec
For all us East Coast Teenerites, there’s a small town in North Carolina called Hot Springs, where I took the wife and my /6 for our anniversary. Close by there is a road that goes over the Smokey Mountains to Tennessee called Tail of the Dragon

It's generally thought of as a super-bike road, but I couldn't resist terrorizing the locals, so, mid week, (weekends are too busy), I took a few passes. It was one of the most fun drives I have done in my “super” teener! The locals say if it can be done in less than an hour, you are pretty good, and I managed to match that.

Throughout the 318 turns, I felt that must be what it is like to drive an extended autocross. Having done only DE events, I wasn’t used to spinning the 2.7 up to 7500 rpm’s in second gear, shifting to third and shutting down for the next curve. I don’t know how you guys do it! If I can’t open up that horizontally opposed six on a drive to exceed all posted speed limits at least once, I feel cheated.

There's a web site with occasional live shots, and a weekly report on the participants and their bikes. If you are in the area, give this road a try. It was a great way to spend an afternoon, and a lot closer than a cross-country drive to the land where the ocean’s on the wrong side!

I got these pics from the web site: http://www.tailofthedragon.com/index.html

davec
OK, so I need help posting pics:
davec
Here's a map, complete with corner names:
URY914
I know of some bike guys that ride up from Florida just to make a run of that thing.

They tell me they have to fly a couple of riders out a day on the weekends to the local hospitals. sad.gif

Trekkor
It's just like "Mountain View rd" off Hwy 1 to 101 out of Pt Arena, Ca.

I drove it last Sun in the rain/fog at dusk with deer jumping out around any given turn.

KT
olav
So an average speed of 11 miles an hour doesn't sound so fun.

confused24.gif
nomore9one4
Sounds interesting...I think. dry.gif
gfulcher
A few of us up here in New England have been threatening / drooling to cruise down there some time and give it a run or ten...

My question though is this: What is the police presence like? Seems like it could be akin to shooting fish in a barrel for the local cops.

Any first-hand accounts?

-greg-
Ferg
I've driven it a bunch of times in my pre-914 days. I was always on my way to Tsali trails in NC for Mtn Biking. Anyhow, crazy road, and would be a hoot in a 914.
Most of the times I drove it I was in a Tahoe loaded with bikes and gear sad.gif .

Ferg.
TROJANMAN
biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
My shop is less than 1 mile from US 129....

I have been known to make my way up to the "Tail" 2-3 times in one week..

Maybe I should have a 914 open house next spring and have a trip up that way as a concluding event???
As for cops- I may have seen 4-5 out of all the times I have been there. They generally only give a damn about those who wipe out- especially on bikes. You see many more ambulances than cops.
URY914
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 14 2005, 11:13 AM)

Maybe I should have a 914 open house next spring and have a trip up that way as a concluding event???
As for cops- I may have seen 4-5 out of all the times I have been there. They generally only give a damn about those who wipe out- especially on bikes. You see many more ambulances than cops.

If you have a get together at your place I'm coming up. Think anyone would mind if I drove my car on that road? happy11.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 14 2005, 03:13 PM)

There are far better places for a 914 drive within 25miles of Jakes than Deals Gap
(Tail of the Dragon). I would average 7/10K miles a summer riding sport bikes up there and always managed to find a new road every time I rode.

I'm all for a meeting this spring.Might even be able to put a few people up for the night.

Bob smilie_pokal.gif
stock93
One of the roads over blood mountain near Jake's was a little hairy. I was driving my blazer so that didn't help. I think it would have been a lot more fun in a 914.

John
tommy914
Sounds like a great location for a "Classic" event.

How about calling it "Southern Comfort Classic"?

spare time toys
Party at Jakes smilie_pokal.gif
ein 6er
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Nov 14 2005, 03:11 PM)
Party at Jakes smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif

this pic is on, i think, hwy 129, near jake's. it's shot with a 15mm fish eye lens, awesome road!!! clap.gif
Powerman
Best to go during the week, the traffic makes the weekends slow.
Check out the MC plastic pieces on the tree of shame at the store.
The locals are FAST, some dude on a ZX9 with a Muzzy motor kicks ass.
I swear that thing hits 16K RPM.
They were tagging the rev limiters at 3 AM.

I did see a 914 with a turbo V6 buick motor smoke a Ferrari a couple of years ago.
davec
I'm in for another go at it! It's near Hot Springs, one of my favorite places to hang where the cell phone doesn't work. My other favorite was the New Orleans Jazz Festival, but I guess we won't be going back there soon.
Jake Raby
There are also many places there that two way radios don't work...... That means the cops can't call for back up!
(don't ask me how I know)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.