Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust issues?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wutzu
Found this one on craigslist in the SF Bay Area. According to the owner, the shift linkage is shot, so it's not really drivable right now.

the pictures:

Gallery of the car

It looks like there's a fair amount of rust in the hell hole, and some in the trunk area.

Is this a manageable amount of rust? I don't mind putting in work, and I'm going to be learning how to weld in school, but I'd rather not punish myself unnecessarily.

Also, how long and what kind of equipment would it take to replace the shift linkage so I could drive it a half hour back to my house?

Thanks for the help.

[EDIT]

Looking on Pelican, it doesn't seem that getting in and replacing the shift linkage will be that hard, other than draining/refilling the transmission, and buying the parts. Once again, thanks for all the help.
michel richard
Had a quick look at the pictures. This may be restorable, but it's a big project, no doubt about it. Car actually looks like an east coast car !

The thing is, there's undoubtedly a ton more rust you can't see from the pictures. It may be better to look for another one.

Michel Richard
aircooledboy
for 1700, I think you can do much better. Especially in california.

There were no 1.8 1970 cars, so either it is an engine swap or the owner doesn't know much about the car. That hell hole will be tons of work to repair, and a fair number of $s too, if you do it right. Even the rear trunk might be a pretty big pain, but it is hard to tell just how bad the rust is.

General rule of 914s: What ever rust you can see easily, is probably just the tip of the iceberg. laugh.gif even here in the midwest, that is a 1000 car. Out west, it looks like a $500 borderline parts car. I'd keep looking. beerchug.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Nov 14 2005, 05:05 PM)
for 1700, I think you can do much better. Especially in california

agree.gif
Bleyseng
This is fixable with a fair amount of work but not too bad. The pic that is missing is of the long/rocker under this! The rest of the car is fixable from the pics......price if it runs is just ok, not a great deal.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Nov 14 2005, 08:29 AM)
This is fixable with a fair amount of work but not too bad. The pic that is missing is of the long/rocker under this! The rest of the car is fixable from the pics......price if it runs is just ok, not a great deal.

Ask for a close up of the long in this picture to see how bad it is in the hell hole. For a west cost car I think you could find better at $1700, but then what do I know I live in Indiana wacko.gif
Jeffs9146
If this car is in Livermore, I looked at it 2 years ago.

It needed to much work for me to get it. They were asking $2000 back then. I gave her some replacement turn signal lenses and a back pad to help clean it up a bit but I told her it was over priced due to the rust.

It looks like the same one confused24.gif but someone has done some body work since then.

Jeff
markb
When you're in SLO, look me up. I'm just south of you. I'll be more than happy to give you a hand. I've got a ton of parts, too, when you do get a car.
wutzu
I end up being in AG about once a mont for this that or the other thing. I'll have to look you up for sure.

Thanks to everyone who responded here, I got alot of good information very quickly.
Gint
Isn't there another noob looking at this same car?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.