Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Bee Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Oliver
I bought A project... Why... Well any way Iam at work and don't have my camara handy or car sorry... Pic's comming soon. Please help me with the best way of going through the whole brake system if some one has a blog that would be supper dupper... put new calpers on the frount the old ones where stuck...Tryed to free them up by pummping on the brakes but something happedn the peddel went to the floor and would not come up on it's own and some sort of stuff appered in a puddle under the motor (brake stuff?) Help me get this car back on the road... Because there cool I like to by my freind stuff Beer?
Eric_Shea
You might want to check all your lines. Sounds like you've had a blow out back there. Might be an old rubber line in the back that failed. Might be a patch job. Based on that I would start with the following:

1. New rubber lines all the way around.
2. Rebuilt or Rebuild - all your calipers.
3. Check your Master Cylinder for performance.

Why in that order?

1) If you get good rubber lines all around you might be able to free up your front pistons. They still need to be rebuilt but fluid won't compress like air and the best way to get them to free up is get good lines on the car and get fluid into them.

2) If their stuck now as you mentioned they'll need to be rebuilt. The most difficult part of a front rebuild is getting stuck pistons out. Again, fluid is the only way to go. For bench work we use a grease gun to pump fluid into the calipers to free up some of the most stubborn pistons. If the fronts are stuck you've got a 99% chance that whatever has happened to them has happened to the rears (but worse). This is why I mention to get rebuilt brakes or embark upon a rebuilding task. PM me if you want to do it yourself and have any questions.

3. OK... now you've got new rubber lines and rebuilt calipers. The only questionable spot left is the Master Cylinder. Again, if the fluid in your system is so old that brakes are sticking and they've seen that limited use, I'd recommend rebuilding the master cylinder.

You may also want to look at the proportioning valve in the back but I think that's "probably" OK. The main things that go wrong are the rubber lines (if in doubt, replace), calipers (as you mentioned... sticking) and the master cylinder. If the puddle was on the floor board by the pedals then it would most certainly be your master cylinder.

Good luck.
Oliver
Thanks for the help any sugestions of where to get the lines?

Mueller
QUOTE (Oliver @ Nov 14 2005, 05:54 PM)
Thanks for the help any sugestions of where to get the lines?

check his link...

PMB Performance.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.