Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Daytona Prototype Competitors Choose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
FOUR NEW DAYTONA PROTOTYPES TO USE PORSCHE POWER FOR 2006; MORE TO COME AS
3.8-LITER MOTOR PROVIDES IMPROVED PERFORMANCE FOR ROLEX SERIES COMPETITORS

SANTA ANA, Calif. - November 14 - As a culmination of a year-long development program, Porsche
Motorsport North American has announced that four new Daytona Prototypes will be using a Porsche six-
cylinder, 3.8-liter engine in the 2006 Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series, beginning with the Rolex 24
At Daytona in January.

"Brumos Racing has been testing and providing development data for our Porsche 911 GT3-based 3.8-liter
flat six engine. We are grateful to them for letting us use their race car as a test lab, and we feel confident
that the other Daytona Prototype competitors will benefit from the results," said Uwe Brettel, president of
Porsche Motorsport North America, who indicated that the individual teams will announce their season-long
plans as they finalize.

Brumos Racing, based in Jacksonville, Fla., will use the 3.8-liter engine in their brand-new Fabcar Evolution
Daytona Prototypes, which will see their first track time at the Rolex Series test session on December 5 - 6
at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The Jacksonville-based Porsche racing team will field two of the new
Fabcar chassis for the entire 2006 season, with drivers Hurley Haywood, Darren Law, J.C. France and
David Donohue already onboard. Other drivers, plus the possible participation of Porsche factory drivers
for the Rolex 24, will be announced later when plans are finalized.

Synergy Racing, based in Alton, Virginia, and managed by Porsche veterans Cole Scrogham (team
manager) and Price Cobb (director of racing operations), will enter a new Porsche-powered Doran
JE-4 which will utilize the 3.8-liter motor. The Rx.com No. 8 Porsche-powered Doran Daytona Prototype will
make its racing debut at the Rolex 24 At Daytona, January 26-29, and its first test appearance at
Homestead in December. Drivers are yet to be named, but Porsche factory drivers are expected to assist
the season-long lineup at the Rolex 24.

In addition to the Porsche Daytona Prototype program, Synergy Racing will also continue its championship-
winning GT program in the 2006 Rolex Series with multiple Porsche GT3 Cup entries. The team's Porsche
racing history began at the GT level, where Synergy has won three Rolex Series drivers and team
championships with Porsche race cars. The team's success with Porsche GT entries continued this season
as Synergy Racing with driver Craig Stanton won the Rolex Sports Car GT Series drivers championship by
one point over Pontiac rivals Andy Lally and Marc Bunting, and he and co-driver David Murry led Porsche to
the manufacturers crown.

Alex Job Racing, based in Tavares, Florida, will enter a Porsche-powered Crawford in the 2006 Rolex 24,
and hopes to run the entire Rolex Series season pending final sponsorship arrangements. The team has
prepared Porsche 911 GT3 R/RS/RSRs in the American Le Mans Series for the past seven years, winning
the drivers championship four times and the team title three times. The Alex Job Racing Crawford is

expected to utilize Porsche factory drivers for Daytona as well, with the names to be announced shortly.
Like the other Daytona Prototypes, the AJR Porsche Crawford will be at Homestead for testing on
December 5 - 6.

"We have made a major commitment to customers in the Rolex Sports Car Series, both in the Daytona
Prototype and GT classes, providing additional at-the-track service, more technical support, and, for GT
customers, the availability of the 2006 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (type 997). We expect 10 - 12 of the new
GT cars at the Rolex 24, depending on the delivery schedule to the team," said Brettel.

"We are delighted that Porsche has expanded its commitment to the Rolex Sports Car Series for 2006,"
said Grand American Road Racing Association President Roger Edmondson. "The Porsche name is
synonymous with world class sports car racing, and we fully expect that Porsche will further strengthen a
Daytona Prototype category that is already extremely competitive. Porsche has also been a mainstay in the
GT class throughout our existence. It would come as no surprise to see Porsches in contention for the
overall and GT victories in the Rolex 24 and throughout the season as they have been so often in the past."

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS - Porsche Daytona Prototype 3.8-liter power plant

ENGINE:
Six-Cylinder Boxer Porsche 3795 cc -
76.4mm stroke, 102.7mm bore

Horsepower:
510 @ 8500 rpm

Torque:
435 N/meters @ 7500 rpm

Max RPM:

Cooling:
Water Cooled

Intake System:
Six Individual Throttle Valves

Fuel Injection:
Sequential multi-point Bosch MS 4.0 system with ignition control

Lubrication:
Dry Sump with Heat Exchanger and Mobil 1 oil

ELECTRONICS:

Engine:
Bosch MS 3.1 Engine Management

Data:
Motec display with integrated data recording

Lap Timing:
Lap Trigger with Lap Recording in Display

Battery:
12v 50 Ah Battery

Alternator:
McLaren Electronics 110 Amp

(chassis specs will vary by chassis manufacturer)
URY914
My car was going to be the fifth car with the new engine but I went with Jake's engine instead. laugh.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE (seanery @ Nov 15 2005, 02:55 AM)
Horsepower:
510 @ 8500 rpm

ohmy.gif
bernbomb914
76.4 seems to be the magic stroke for the factory engines I wonder Why?

Bernie
maf914
I saw this article on the Speed Channel site. I am not a major fan of Grand Am and Daytona Sports Prototypes, but their field continues to grow. I usually go to the Daytona 24 Hrs and have seen a few other Grand Am races since the DSP's started.

I had wondered if the Brumos team would continue since their results the last two years have ben mediocre. This is a good developement for them. What surprised me most about this announcement was that Alex Job Racing is going to run a car with factory Porsche drivers. It makes me wonder if this is a tune-up for a Porsche LMP2 ALMS entry in 2007 when cutomer cars will be available?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.