Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanna guess what this is?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
aktion035.gif

I'm gettin' stiff just thinkin' about it!!
SpecialK
Oh....this is "on topic". So get your finger off that "move" button Andy! wink.gif
Katmanken
Rocket Duct tape....

Fixes all problems....

Ken
SpecialK
QUOTE (kwales @ Nov 14 2005, 08:07 PM)
Rocket Duct tape....

Fixes all problems....

Ken

Damn!! How'd you guess.........NOT! biggrin.gif

Anyone else?

Jeroen
instant rust patch?
Katmanken
Titanium foil on a roll...

Ken
jsteele22

Double-sticky Rocket Duct Tape ?
ppickerell
Titanium?
Unobtainium?
Rotary'14
Super Duper thermal wrap?

piratenanner.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Nov 14 2005, 08:10 PM)
instant rust patch?

Not quite, I'll have all of the rust taken care of when this stuff goes down.

General dimensions of the roll.

3"x900'x.006 thick
SpecialK
And nope, nope and nope. wink.gif

Nuther hint.......it's grayish black (the white is just the protective layer)
Katmanken
Itsa spare wheel off the lunar rover number 4 with the very early cardboard wheel rim......

The other 4 are still on the moon... blink.gif

Ken
John
it's a dog leash for the dog that chewed up the rawhide bone in the pic.
John
No,

It's something to hold down your recycle bin......
SpecialK
QUOTE (kwales @ Nov 14 2005, 08:16 PM)
Itsa spare wheel off the lunar rover number 4 with the very early cardboard wheel rim......

The other 4 are still on the moon... blink.gif

Ken

You could make one out of this stuff.
SpecialK
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Nov 14 2005, 08:18 PM)
No,

It's something to hold down your recycle bin......

Would also work for that!
Katmanken
Kapton film on a roll.....

They don't use that material on spacecraft anymore since they found out it oxidizes well in LEO (low earth orbit) ...

(liek half the mass after a year...)

Ken

Flat VW
QUOTE (kwales @ Nov 14 2005, 06:20 PM)
They don't use that material on spacecraft anymore since they found out it oxidizes well in LEO (low earth orbit) ...

PERFECT for a teener!!

John w00t.gif
SpecialK
Okay, it appears you need another pic. huh.gif
SpecialK
Ooops, forgot to hit the macro button! slap.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Nov 14 2005, 09:24 PM)

could we have an un-Andy-like picture biggrin.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 14 2005, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Nov 14 2005, 09:24 PM)

could we have an un-Andy-like picture biggrin.gif

Damn Andy! Kind of reminds me of the "Do they call me McGreggor the wall builder...no! But you sheeplove.gif one goat..." joke! biggrin.gif

Let me try it again......
Verruckt
Inconel tape?? laugh.gif

Damn, that would be expensive unsure.gif
SpecialK
Un-Andified....kinda
John
Ooooo

I know what it is.

It's STOLEN, that's what IT is.

Nice five finger discount.

Next you are going to tell us all that our tax dollars paid for that.....

So in a sense, it is our taxes at work.
rick 918-S
It's a roll of gold contact material worth more than all the 914's ever made.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Nov 14 2005, 06:13 PM)
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Nov 14 2005, 08:10 PM)
instant rust patch?

Not quite, I'll have all of the rust taken care of when this stuff goes down.

General dimensions of the roll.

3"x900'x.006 thick

The world's longest .006" feeler gauge .................. The Cap'n
Katmanken
Itsa roll of the old foam insulation that flakes off the shuttles external tank and you are going to use it for undercoating....

Ken
Eric Taylor
Nasa Grade Carbon Fiber?
Katmanken
Itsa roll of the black carbon carbon they use on the edges of the shuttle wings...

Ken
SpecialK
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Nov 14 2005, 08:35 PM)
Ooooo

I know what it is.

It's STOLEN, that's what IT is.

Nice five finger discount.

Next you are going to tell us all that our tax dollars paid for that.....

So in a sense, it is our taxes at work.

Stolen? HELL NO!! I assume you're joking! dry.gif

Got the Ebay auction to prove it.

But yes, it is overstock unidirectional CF (Aerospace grade) prepreg tape. Probably about $2000 new. This is expired, so I'll have to use epoxy resin for it to work, but a little experimentation with a heat gun proved that it's still nice and formable.

What's it for you ask?

Think of an Engman stiffener kit, made out of CF aktion035.gif

I'll have to do some test billets to get the desired thickness ( around .071").
SpecialK
Oh, the entire roll weighs only 10lbs, and probably won't use but half of it for the interior.
John
Of course I was joking. Nobody would be stupid enough to post a thread about guess what this is about a stolen object.

I thought it was obvious.

Really, it is a roll of the material that was found at Roswell, New Mexico at the "weather balloon" crash site.
jd74914
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Nov 14 2005, 09:45 PM)
But yes, it is overstock unidirectional CF (Aerospace grade) prepreg tape.  Probably about $2000 new.  This is expired, so I'll have to use epoxy resin for it to work, but a little experimentation with a heat gun proved that it's still nice and formable.

Nice. cool.gif
Speedster07
I thought it was hair extentions bravo.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Nov 14 2005, 08:51 PM)
Of course I was joking. Nobody would be stupid enough to post a thread about guess what this is about a stolen object.

I thought it was obvious.

Really, it is a roll of the material that was found at Roswell, New Mexico at the "weather balloon" crash site.

#4? biggrin.gif

Sorry...that was low. slap.gif

Can't wait to start playin' with it!

Got the roll for $19.00...if nothing else, I can put it on my recycle bin to keep my beer cans from blowin' around the neighborhood. wink.gif beerchug.gif
Verruckt
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Nov 14 2005, 09:01 PM)

Got the roll for $19.00...if nothing else, I can put it on my recycle bin to keep my beer cans from blowin' around the neighborhood. wink.gif beerchug.gif

You could use it to hold down that CF top you were talking about a year or so ago... wink.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Nov 14 2005, 09:05 PM)
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Nov 14 2005, 09:01 PM)

Got the roll for $19.00...if nothing else, I can put it on my recycle bin to keep my beer cans from blowin' around the neighborhood.  ;)  :beer2:

You could use it to hold down that CF top you were talking about a year or so ago... wink.gif

Funny you should mention (remember) the CF top. I plan on using 3 layers of this stuff below the "aesthetically pleasing" 4x4 twill CF I got for doing the top. The unidirectional CF should virtually eliminate any flex in the top from the air. Plus, I got like 8 tops in a lot of parts a month or so ago, that included two "one-off" (huh.gif two one-off?) lexan panels that are formed to match the contours of the targa tops. One is a single panel, kind of like a regular sun-roof, the other(s) is a two piece deal that would resemble a T-top when it's done....I like the T-top one myself. If I can get home before dark one of these nights, I'll post some pics of the lexan panels.

bd1308
hijacked.gif still havent done the steering wheel....I can't WAIT....i would do it right now, but *NOBODY* uses the club anymore. and i dont want to buy one just to use it once.

Looks very awesome in the box though sad.gif

b
SpecialK
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 14 2005, 09:32 PM)
hijacked.gif still havent done the steering wheel....I can't WAIT....i would do it right now, but *NOBODY* uses the club anymore. and i dont want to buy one just to use it once.

Looks very awesome in the box though sad.gif

b

Club?...you don't need no stinking club!

Seriously, a 1/2" breaker bar with the appropriate size socket (which escapes me at the moment) does the trick. Not sure what the ft. lbs. of torque is on the steering wheel, but it's nothing like a stub axle nut. All of the ones I removed (3 in all) came off fairly easy using the steering wheel anti-theft lock holding it in place, with no adverse effects....if you end up breaking something getting it off let me know what it is and I'll send you a replacement. beerchug.gif
spare time toys
Is it out of date or was it at room temp past exposure time limit? We use that stuff for repairs all the time. We have a big chest freezer full of the tape and rolls of prepreg cloth. You just have to log how long it is out each time. You will want to pull a vacume on it when you use it and heat lamps. Did it say what temp it is for? Some of ours requires a 350Deg. soak time for 2 hours. We ramp it up at 10Deg a min. Good score though fun stuff to play with smile.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Nov 14 2005, 10:29 PM)
Is it out of date or was it at room temp past exposure time limit?

both by now sad.gif , but that's okay. My main concern was that it would be too stiff to be able to form around the contours of the longs, but a couple of tests shows me that won't be an issue (and I couldn't pass on it for the price!). It'll definitely be bagged and heat lamped (per milspec) with a high strength epoxy resin (hysol), but some experimentation is going to be required to insure I get the strength, and fiber saturation I'm looking for. I'm gonna do some test pieces in the shape of the long (bagged and lamped), with 2/3 of the plys running length wise (I'm guesstimating 10-12 layers), whatever's left over will be used for the outer longs and top........should make the longs as stiff as wedding day wood!! mueba.gif

I'll definitely post some pics as I progress along.
SpecialK
Also got a line on some demo FEA (finite element analysis) software, that includes advanced composite analysis (should be interesting). I've got to talk to the guy tonight after work. This might interest Mueller and the other CAD guys, so I'll post a link to their website when I get home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.