Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket Retractable seat belts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
Well it looks like the set of stock seat belts that have been in my garage are junk and I won't be able to use them. So, I need some replacements. I thought before I start looking for a stock set I'd enquire about after market 3 point units. Anyone here have them in their 914s?

Doug C
bondo
I have 924 belts, works like a charm. Cheap from pick-n-pull.
DougC
OK, I meant to ask what other belts would work.

Doug C
MattR
Dont seatbelts go bad after a while? Why not invest in new belts?
Tobra
QUOTE (MattR @ Nov 15 2005, 01:27 PM)
Dont seatbelts go bad after a while? Why not invest in new belts?

After 30 years of exposure to UV light, unrolling and rolling, getting closed in the door, the seatbelts are almost certainly compromised. Unless you are going for the concours deal, you want new seatbelts, or at least newer. Only problem with the salvage yard is you don't know what those seatbelts have been through.
DougC
Right, this is why I was considering new aftermarket 3 points.. doesn't some one make them? Corbeau I think I saw somewhere.

Doug C
Midtowner
I got mine here: http://www.gotbelts.com/?source=Overture&O...&OVMTC=standard
fiid
QUOTE (Midtowner @ Nov 15 2005, 03:20 PM)

Do you like them? Do they fit on the stock mounting points? DO you ahve pictures of the install?

Thanks In Advance smile.gif
GeorgeRud
Are your old belts the fixed ones or retractables. If they are retractable, the 924 belts work well. If it's the early, nonretractable ones, the kit from AA works quite well.
banksyinoz
not sure what model mine are from but there vw (its stamped on the buckles) and they fit on like factory, they were new about 2 years ago thats all i know smile.gif
brownaar
www.peparts.com has a replacement that is somewhat less than stock. I have one and it is a nice unit. It did not come with the silver diverter piece that mounts with the reel. You could probably get them to make some with these pieces if you contact them.
fiid
Are there any DOT DMVSS-beaurocrat enabled five point harnesses available?

I know Schloth (sp?) ( smile.gif ) has four point retractable belts that are approved for street use... but that's not the same thing is it smile.gif

blitZ
QUOTE (fiid @ Nov 15 2005, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (Midtowner @ Nov 15 2005, 03:20 PM)

Do you like them? Do they fit on the stock mounting points? DO you ahve pictures of the install?

Thanks In Advance smile.gif

I'd like to know more about these also. Which model did you get and did you use your existing latch or buy a new one?

Thanks
Midtowner
I'll post pics of the install tonight. I also have to look up what model I purchased. biggrin.gif
Midtowner
Okay, here we go: I ordered two 3-Point Retractable, Black seatbelts $159.90 (Part #WSCH324-1000-Black) and two Hardware kits #1 $0.00 (Part # FHD-1046-1) from www.gotbelts.com. Total with ground shipping ws $169.72.

My goal was to use the new belts and reels using the original hardware. Doing so required cutting the belt to proper length, looping the old hardware onto the new belt, then sewing back up using hardcore thick thread. The retraction units are the same size as the originals and fit nicely behind the backpad. I took the following pictures to keep track of how all the parts fit together. biggrin.gif
Midtowner
Old Reel
Midtowner
Backside of old reel.
Midtowner
Upper anchor, old belt.
Midtowner
Lower Anchor...
Midtowner
New Reels with old hardware...
Midtowner
pic...
Midtowner
Sorry, but I didn't take pictures of the new belts mounted behind the backpad because installation is the reverse of removal. This is an easy project. I took my time over two evenings. Best of luck! biggrin.gif
fiid
Would it be a problem to use the hardware they supply, asides from the looks? I don't have the balls to try sewing up a seatbelt.

Midtowner
One more pic. Check out the tag. May help with identification. Have a great day! biggrin.gif
Midtowner
Yeah, I know what you are saying about taking apart seatbelts. Besides being ugly, the inboard part of the new belts (I call it the female end) are too long making the anchor point too high off your hip when seated - not safe IMHO. Even then, you need to use a small heat gun to warp the plastic housing to fit around the contour of the seat and center seat pad. Again, I went hardcore on re-sewing the belt using the same sewing pattern. You can see this pattern in the last picture. smile.gif
lapuwali
Digging up an old thread.

The place Midtowner got his belts from have some other belts available that may be more suitable than the ones he got (which may not have been available, then).

The place is also called SeatBeltPros.com, they seem to use both domain names, and are actually a Yahoo! Store (yeah, irrelevant detail, I work in the biz, so...)

They have three-point belts with chromed aircraft style buckles as commonly seen on cars from the early 70s. These belts are adjustable at the buckle end, so his very good objection to the length of the buckle piece being too long is no longer an issue. They have belts that are both retractable into reels or fixed, like early stock belts. They also have two lengths of the non-adjustable style buckle, 12" and 20". The 20" does look way too long for a 914. The 12" is probably about right.

My new-to-me FIAT has moldy old belts in it, so I'm replacing them, and I'll be getting a set from this place myself. For the 914, I'll probably get a six-point harness from a racing shop.
fiid
6 point belts aren't street legal though - isn't that correct? Are you just going to chance it?

Mugs914
I've never had any legal problems with five-points. Back when I drove my race cars to work every day (Not that long ago, really...) I got pulled up a couple of times by Chippies that saw the stock belt hanging. One guy says "I pulled you over because I thought you weren't wearing wour seat belt but you're bolted in there pretty damn good, aren't you?" and let me go with a big grin and "Have a great day".

I know five points aren't DOT legal, but I don't think the average cop is going to pick that particular nit.

Of course if you're attitude asks him to... screwy.gif ohmy.gif biggrin.gif
Katmanken
Hope ya used the right sewing pattern and the right thread....

There is a specific pattern to the sewing that the Government spent a lotta time and money on to develop for pilots and it was picked up by the seatbelt manufacturers....

Somewheres there is a MIL Spec on it....

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.