Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
I have been readin up on the 944 CV joint threads and thought to myself... "I wonder what stub axles my car has." Right now the project car has an unfinished rear setup. There are early 911 hubs (according to P.O.), and some vented rotors, bearings, and some kind of stub axle. In addition there are some 944 drum brake parts installed.

I have no idea what kind of stub axle they are since they are installed. However, they do have 6 threaded holes. How can I tell what type of stub axles I have? Is there a measurement that I could make, for instance the diameter of the rin gon which the holes sit?

If I have early 911 stub axles, whay then can I do for a CV joint?

Also, if I end up having to ditch the 911 early stub axles (IF thats what they are) then can I do the 944 setup on the wheel end of the driveshaft only?

-Tony
Aaron Cox
6 threaded holes.....

either 944 or a 911.

you already have 5 lug hubs?

take a pic? measure the OD of the stub. i / we can figure it out from there
TonyAKAVW
Here's one of them...

r_towle
sounds like a tight fit....
TonyAKAVW
The 100mm figure is for the diameter of the flange, and 86mm is the diameter of the imaginary circle on which the tapped holes sit.

-Tony
sj914
Those aren't that early. I've got early big flanged hubs on mine which are 110mm. If they are 100mm you can use early '80's, iirc pre-'85 cv. '85 is when they went back to the larger 110mm.
eeyore
Those may be mid '74-'75 911 stubs like I have. They should fit in a 914 trailing arm, but you'll need some spacers to make them work (Patrick Motorsports parts PMPCASPI & PMPCASPO)
John
It all depends on what (or how) you want to do it.

do you have axles?

If you have 914-4 axles, you could do some machining to the axle ends and use 944 (33-spline) CV Joints and they will bolt to the stub axles you show. (DO A SEARCH FOR 944 CV Joints)

If you have 914-6 axles, you could do some machining to the axle ends and use 911 (up to 1984) CV Joints and they will bolt to the stub axles you show (This is what I'm doing).

What this does is allow the use of available CV joints and no adapters or spacers. The proper length (914) axle shafts will be used.

The machining that needs to be done to the axle ends is minor. The 911 and 944 CV joints are wider by about 1/4". The shoulders on the ends of the axles simply need to be turned down to allow the circlip to fit in the groove with the new CV joint installed on the splines.

The difference inlength between 911 and 914 axle shafts is significant, and the 911 axles being too short, will wear out quickly without a proper spacer and longer CV joint bolts.

Patrick Motorsports sells an adapter (spacer) that adapts 914 transmission output flanges to use late model 911 axle shafts (with integral stub axles). These are good axles, but are useless without the spacer/adapters as they wear out very quickly otherwise.

Ask me how I know.
TonyAKAVW
I do have axles. I have two pairs of 914-4 axles, and I'd like to use those. Sounds like the way to go is with the 944 CV at the end of one of those, and leave the inboard (transmission side) stock, until some point down the road when those wear out and I can do the 944 conversion there as well.

The only question I have is that of spacing. Cloudbuster says I need a spacer to fit the 914 trailing arms, Johnman says I don't. I guess I could try it out, but does anyone know for sure whether the 914/4 axles will require spacers to use this 6-bolt flange?

-Tony
mightyohm
Strip down and rebuild your axles. I am guessing at least a couple of the joints are shot. Then come back when you are ready to buy new axles. biggrin.gif

Do the stubs have a part # on them? I forget if mine do.

eeyore
It sounds like Tony has 911 or 944, not 914, stub axles.

The spacers I mentioned are not for correcting 911/914 half-/driveshaft length disparities, they are for correcting disparities between stub axles.

I have '74-'75 stub axles. These will be installed into 914-4 trailing arms as: stub axle flange - spacer - trailing arm bearings - spacer - 5 lug hub.

Power will go from the tranny through a stock 914-4 CV inboard, then a modified 914-4 halfshaft to a 944T CV.
Aaron Cox
tony... the stub axle has a PN on it smile.gif

that LOOKS like the 944/051 stubs i have

edit - maybe not
user posted image
Aaron Cox
i call tony's set, 911 6 bolt stubs. not 4 bolt 2 pin...

so that makes it ??late 911???
John
agree.gif
It looks like Tony's set are from a 911 (just like mine). Look at the flanges. Tony's are notably thinner than the 944 Stubs shown above.

some of the spacers required with the 944 stubs take the place of a seal (i believe). This seal is not present on 911 stubs.

My setup:

Coarse spline trans output flange (6 bolt) ->911CV joint->modified 914-6 axle shaft->911 CV Joint->911 Stub Axle->911 Outer Hub.

An alternative using 914-4 axles would be:

Coarse spline trans output flange (6 bolt)->944CV joint->modified 914-4 axle shaft->944 CV Joint->911 Stub Axle->911 Outer Hub.

With this setup, the 33 spline 944 CV Joints are used.

These measure exactly the same length as the 914-4 components (Due to the correct 914 axle shaft) and will not wear out CV joints rapidly. No spacers are used.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.