Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn SIgnal Relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
I am pretty sure I need to replace my turn signal relay, but $34.99 seems like a bit much for this
Tobra
when I can get this one, for $9. This is a 4 prong relay for a K Ghia, will it work?
grasshopper
looks like it should work confused24.gif
Tom Perso
To be honest, I think a turn signal relay is a turn signal relay. They are not complicated devices.

On my 63 bug I thought I would get cute and get one of those solid state type flashers and it never worked. Went and got the $2 cheap one and it worked perfect.

Just make sure whatever you get, it matches the wiring and needs.

Tom
Rockaria
I bought a standard $8 one at my FLAPS and it worked okay. Turn signals work great, but it does not do the red blinkie thing correctly when I pull on the parking brake. It kinda sounds like it is sizzling or something. Hooking the red blinkie brake light to two bulbs instead of just the one, made it work perfectly. Who knew,
Marlow
I bought a NOS unit a while back and popped it in my car. With the newer unit my e-brake light blinked when the emergency brake was on -- with the NOS unit the e-brake light stays on and the relay buzzes with the emergency brake.

Anyone know/remember how the brake light originally worked - solid on or flashing??
nomore9one4
Mine flashes on my 72' and does not work on my 74' or 75'.
fiid
The VW ones lower the performance of your car. A porsche one is worth at least 5 hp.

chairfall.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
914Sixer
I know that the early 70-72 have a different part number than the later one. Check the part numbers. I have some of both that I can check went I get home.
Tobra
When I looked at the original and the replacement, there was a little metal mounting tab on the new one, sort of pop riveted on, used some needle nose pliers to diminish the strength of it, tab came right off.

On the plug end, they both have a 49, 49a and 31 labeling the same little spades, and the old one has a C, new one a K1 stamped on the fourth one. Appear to be identical on the business end.

The old one was much larger than the new one, but when I plugged it in, everything worked perfect. Even the parking light thing worked(Where you engage the turn signal when the car is parked to light up signals on that side of the car, try it)

$9 beats the heck out of $35. The same relay works for a 914, a '65-'84 911/912/930 and this one was listed for pretty much whatever 68-70 VW you care to name. On the box, it is listed as a universal Mercedes, now I have some Brazilian Electronics in there.

Interestingly, this solved the problem I thought was a bad ground, the turn signal indicator stayed lit, along with a few other little things. One of the signals was a little dim too, which turned out to be the filament getting sort of attentuated as it gradually burned out. It was stamped made in Germany, wonder if it is original.
bondo
QUOTE (Tobra @ Nov 20 2005, 11:13 AM)

The old one was much larger than the new one, but when I plugged it in, everything worked perfect. Even the parking light thing worked(Where you engage the turn signal when the car is parked to light up signals on that side of the car, try it)

Cool! Do you have a part number?
Tobra

QUOTE (bondo @ Nov 20 2005, 10:46 AM)
Cool! Do you have a part number?

I went in to Bugformance and said, "Give me a 4 prong relay for a 1970 bus." You should be able to get it from the usual suspects via mail-order.

like here
Midamerica
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.