Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want your opinion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
guiltless
So I am doing a Suby conversion for my teener and I am still trying to figure out how much power to shoot for.

The car is basically going to be a barely streetable track car. I am not building it for comfort but performance and if I can make it a little comfortable in the process I will.

Here's a bit of what I am planning:
-Sheridan standard kit with 10" wheels under the rear for plenty of traction
-All the suspension and brake mods necessary for a high hp racer
-Roll cage

I think you all get the point.

Basically I can get 300hp for around $3500 or 450hp for around $6000+ (at the crank)

Is the car even drivable with 450hp?burnout.gif I have experience with high hp cars so I can handle it, but i have never driven a high hp teener and don't really know what to expect.

What do you guys think? What are your experiences?
Aaron Cox
what trans?

shoot... have fun. your money. 450 baby
guiltless
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 15 2005, 03:45 PM)
what trans?

shoot... have fun. your money. 450 baby

I will probably end up with the STI 6-speed.
I really want a 5 speed, but it ends up being REALLY expensive, at least from what I have found.
WRX914
Hooray! smilie_pokal.gif

Glad to see another Suby convert!
Aaron Cox
is your name chris?
Mueller
Is the car even drivable with 450hp?

it really depends on the motor.....a 450hp Chevy small block might be more "friendly" than a high-strung 450hp Suby motor...

if it's just on/off with that kind of power, not too much fun or easy to drive......

but like Aaron mentioned, it's your money..let's go all out and go for the 450hp motor biggrin.gif
ewdysar
After riding with Scott of Renegade Hybrids in his 500hp 914 "The Peel", I would say that 450 is not too much... happy11.gif

The car is basically going to be a barely streetable track car. I am not building it for comfort but performance and if I can make it a little comfortable in the process I will.

I think that Scott's car fit that description, there are still photos at www.renegadehybrids.com under cars for sale even though they sold it. I posted a small video of the Peel in action at one of the Mullholland runs a while back. You should be able to find the video link using the search function.

Eric
guiltless
Well... I think it may be settled then.

In the immortal words of Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor... "More Power!!!"
OMB_Godfather
I will probably end up with the STI 6-speed.
I really want a 5 speed, but it ends up being REALLY expensive, at least from what I have found.

I read another topic on converting the suby tranny for rear wheel drive and the general consensus from the parts manufacturers was that only the 5 speed could be converted and that parts still weretn available for the sti 6 speed yet. Has this changed?
boxstr
I sold a SB Chev 914 with 415 horse. It was fast, ask Kevin Powers(pansy boy). One thing that this car had were super brakes. Brembo fronts. For the money you can't go wrong with a SBC.
CCLINICOULDHAVEHADAV8
guiltless
QUOTE (OMB_Godfather @ Nov 15 2005, 10:52 PM)
I read another topic on converting the suby tranny for rear wheel drive and the general consensus from the parts manufacturers was that only the 5 speed could be converted and that parts still weretn available for the sti 6 speed yet. Has this changed?

From what I understand the conversion is not all that difficult.

To put it crudely:
Disconnect the rear electronic clutch, hack off the output shaft, and seal up the rear of the tranny. I have a few Suby tuners who are willing to help me out with the process once I get the cash together so we shall see.

I would love to have a 5-speed that is strong enough, but all the suby guys are telling me that it is super expensive to strengthen the 5-speed.
banksyinoz
when i contacted the guys that do the blanking kit for the awd suby box they said that it was mainly a matter of the number of splines on the shaft with the auto and the six speed and that they havent done one as yet, from what i can gather the blanking plate may be the same though(but how hard would that be to make) the shaft is the problem.

300 hp would be more reliable but if you want all the goodies go 2.5 twin cam (new sti) or just get the stroker crank etc to build a 2.5 add 30 psi and hang on to the 500+hp at the crank, with the six speed you will be changing gears flat out but be havin heaps of fun driving.gif
guiltless
So here is the next question.
How much power is actually usable with 10" wheels in the back?

I don't want to be smelling rubber every time I touch the throttle, I want to actually put the power to the ground. I don't mind some wheelspin, just not a ton.
I want to build a car that is truly racable, not JUST balls out fast. Trust me, if 450 is usable then I will be the happiest man alive.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (guiltless @ Nov 15 2005, 04:38 PM)
I am still trying to figure out how much power to shoot for.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Mueller
QUOTE (guiltless @ Nov 19 2005, 02:15 AM)
So here is the next question.
How much power is actually usable with 10" wheels in the back?

I don't want to be smelling rubber every time I touch the throttle, I want to actually put the power to the ground. I don't mind some wheelspin, just not a ton.
I want to build a car that is truly racable, not JUST balls out fast. Trust me, if 450 is usable then I will be the happiest man alive.

have you seen a torque curve for THAT motor???

you cannot compare a 450suby to a 450chevy V8..the torque curve should be totally different

you don't raceable, you want tractable...you don't want a motor that is like a light switch, on/off

banksyinoz
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Nov 19 2005, 02:30 AM)
[“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue

rocking nana.gif boldblue.gif biggrin.gif
thats what im talkin about yeah

seriously though with the 2.5 and a good ball bearing turbo setup to make boost early , the revrange will be good for both traction (you can also stage the boost)and your engine will thank you for not revving the stromberg.gif out of it all the time

on my ej20t i have a gt28, it makes boost very early hence giving better control

well thats my line of reasoning anyhow confused24.gif
okieflyr
Having owned and auto-x'ed an STI for 2 years, smilie_pokal.gif I'd say that even in stock power trim the car could be a real rocket.
My own experience with the gear ratios of the six speed is that It could have been faster with a properly spaced 5 speed. I often found myself "jumping" past gears to move along in traffic, as the torque was more than enough to move that heavy car! The gearbox is very tough, and I'd use one if I could, but there is ALOT of shifting involved.
Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.