Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CR/Interferience question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
On a stock US 2.0 liter with the dished pistons...

If the head gasket is removed...no cylinder base gasket is installed.

What is the new compression ratio...circa???

Do the valves have a chance of hitting the top of the piston...

I have not doe this, so I dont know what it looks like yet...just want to see if someone knows already...

Rich
Aaron Cox
rich -

im in the same boat.
pulling the heads to remove head gasket. i have a 94mm euro piston..... and a big cam.
not sure how much deck i can lose to up the c/r...
SLITS
Engineers.....sheeeeesh

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html
Aaron Cox
i dont know my deck height.... yay. more stuff to play with biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
Measure measure MEASURE!!!!!

I've seen some stick right out of the bore.
Dr. Roger
i've seen those valve to piston clearances get to almost nothing on factory cars. ford probe for one using interference engines. no problems as long as the timing belts are good. a non issue for 914's.

just bolt it all up and hand crank it slowly.

if it goes round and round you're probably alright.

just don't plan redlining it or my opinion becomes null and void. laugh.gif
r_towle
so your saying that stock pistons stick out of the cylinder...are you also saying that they are all different ....not by a small bt, but by alot??

Rich
Mark Henry
dry.gif

Good way to smoke an engine.

You need at least .040....but what is your CR?

Too much and it won't last long...too little and you leave power on the table.
Mark Henry
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 15 2005, 09:02 PM)
so your saying that stock pistons stick out of the cylinder...are you also saying that they are all different ....not by a small bt, but by alot??

Rich

Not all, but I have seen it...I've also seen the aftermath.

Yes they can be different, out by .050 is a mile to a machinist.
SLITS
If your really hot....

bring pistion to absolute tdc...lay straight edge across cylinder and measure down to edge of piston w/ sliding veniers. Subtract thickness of straightedge and you have the deck height. (make sure cylinders are secured). Do for each cylinder.

or

put modeling clay on edge of piston(s)....bolt heads back on....roll engine 360 degrees...take heads off and measure thickness of clay. Gives you p to h.
Mark Henry
BTW if you take out the head gasket most likely you need shims anyways.

Measure it.

Is your engine worth a guess?
nebreitling
you definitely want to cc your heads and (re)set your deck height. i know it's ghetto, but i actually found it easier and more reliable to use a straight edge and feeler gauges (at TDC) to figure deck height than the depth gauge on the micro caliper-things that i have. definitely fab/find some spacers and torque down those cylinders when measuring.

it can be kind of time consuming, but if you have a wide variety of base shims at hand, it's not at all hard to get all cylinders the same spec (to the thou). in any case, i wouldn't want more than a couple thou out on each side for head sealing issues. i believe i used hylomar to seal the cylinder bases, seems to have worked well.
r_towle
QUOTE (SLITS @ Nov 15 2005, 08:15 PM)
If your really hot....

bring pistion to absolute tdc...lay straight edge across cylinder and measure down to edge of piston w/ sliding veniers. Subtract thickness of straightedge and you have the deck height. (make sure cylinders are secured). Do for each cylinder.

or

put modeling clay on edge of piston(s)....bolt heads back on....roll engine 360 degrees...take heads off and measure thickness of clay. Gives you p to h.

thank you...i went out and realized that i could not accurately measure it...

I was thinking modeling clay or build a 1/2 inch plate....I like the clay method better....

I like the old school tricks..

Rich
r_towle
Let me ask a detailed question.

Does the CR in any way affect the DJet FI system?

Rich
SLITS
I also would coat the head and clay with a little motor oil so that the clay doesn't stick and pull to give you a false reading.

I would cut through the squashed clay with a razor blade to measure the squash in the middle with a set of sliding veniers.

Good luck.....

edit: I wouldn't think that CR would have a detrimental effect since it is not subject to the pressurization in the cylinder.....it only injects into the airstream flowing into the cylinder.
Aaron Cox
so. ron, ill bring my motor by, and we can do this smile.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 15 2005, 06:56 PM)
so. ron, ill bring my motor by, and we can do this smile.gif

Not a problem.............

I guess............
jhadler
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 15 2005, 05:38 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Nov 15 2005, 08:15 PM)

put modeling clay on edge of piston(s)....bolt heads back on....roll engine 360 degrees...take heads off and measure thickness of clay.  Gives you p to h.

One word... Plastiguage!

Neat stuff. A PITA to use for air cooled engines, but pretty good stuff in general.

-Josh2
type47
CR is about 7.6:1 + or - alot. stock CR was 7.6 according to factory specs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.