Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
It looks like my 2.0 cylinders were bored too big. My ring gap is .028", which isnt right for my 96mm KB pistons. I do have another set of 1.8 cylinders laying around. Are they dimensionally the same as a set of 2.0 cylinders? Can I just bore out the 1.8 cylinders to the proper size for my 96 pistons?
SLITS
93mm vs 94mm

Maybe you should ask Santa for a set of 2.0
Mark Henry
Yes
Tom Perso
Yup, you betcha. Bore 'em esp if they are stock German metal. They'll hold tolerance better.

Tom
Jake Raby
Yep-

Your best bet is to send me those for cores and buy my 96mm set based on bored cylinders. When boring cylinders they must be done in a torque plate and things like skirt clearance and cylinder roughnessaverages can add guesswork and increase the chaces of having a bad experience...

Thorshammer
He's right! The only proper way to do it. Thats why I made the plate for my six cylinder engine. The only way. Everything else is just not acceptable.

Erik
Tom Perso
I sent Jake a set of 94's, my pistons and rings.

They came back perfectly matched. Those slipper skirt 96's were a PERFECT fit and that thing ran GREAT. Good work, quick turnaround, and I knew the job was done by someone who really cared about the product, not the receipt of payment.

Tom
Jake Raby
Thanks Tom....

And that was what, 4 years ago???

I have the process down to a science- it took a while to get it there too...

And yes- That plateau finish on the cylinder wall ROCKS!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 15 2005, 05:25 PM)
Yep-

Your best bet is to send me those for cores and buy my 96mm set based on bored cylinders. When boring cylinders they must be done in a torque plate and things like skirt clearance and cylinder roughnessaverages can add guesswork and increase the chaces of having a bad experience...

Here we agree. Machinists familiar and set up for motorcycle work might be able to do it, but they're few and far between. The Cap'n
lagunero
Is it possible to send a set to a machine shop, say Rimco and simply give them the size that you'd like them bored to (96mm KB) and assume they will work or did I just ruin my cylinders too?
Aaron Cox
like jake said, and like twystd1 explained to me....

they needed to be under a torque plate when honed/bored.

imagine the change of shape they take from set on a table, to torqued in a motor.

they may look out of round etc when all alone, but when torqued up, could be perfect....
Jake Raby
If they don't ask for your piston go ahead and hang up the phone on them... Here tenths of thousandths of and inch can make or break the results...

How do you KNOW the size that you want them bored to?? Are you guessing?? Is it 3.7785 or 3.7790 or 3.7815???? There is much more to it than just saying "Ummn, I have these 96mm pistons and I need these cylinders bored to 96mm.." what about running clearance?? What about the hone specifics??

Can Rimco do it- Yes... They have done it for me before, years ago.. BUT That was years ago-

Only you will know if they ruin the cylinders, when you have an issue.

It amazes me just how much people will try NOT to do things the proven, tested and smartest way- You guys must TRY to make things hard for yourselves!

JEEZ! Hell I think its time to put the OLD AVATAR back up- thats the way I feel after doing all this homework for guys to TRY and make things hard and expensive for themselves!
MattR
Jake, they went to rimco. I talked to Todd and used your name with your specs with pistons in my hand. I did my homework almost a year and a half ago and had this engine assembled with all the machine work done by rimco. Now, with 20 minutes on the engine, its all fucked up.

I have a machinist i TRUST in there now looking at everything. I'm doing my research so I dont have to be a wide eyed kid in his shop. I'm doing my homework on the board. Ive spent countless hours searching here and STF and talking with the machinist and people I trust about engines.
Twystd1
Yea... What they said wink.gif

Twystd1
Jake Raby
Matt, what happened to the engine??

Rimco's work is not what it used to be..
MattR
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 15 2005, 07:42 PM)
Matt, what happened to the engine??

Rimco's work is not what it used to be..

I dont really want to bash them on a public forum... I'll send you a PM about it.
Jake Raby
Hell, just call me 706 219 4874 I am by the phone doing DAMN PAPERWORK all night tonight... (literally)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.