Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another one bites the dust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
I hope its rumor, but I'm hearing it is a confirmed and done deal.

sounds like CDR (continental divide raceway)
or more commonly know as "mountain view" racetrack has closed this week.

man this Sucks....
3rd colorado track to fold in about 2 months.
SCR was expected, but PPIR and CDR were surprises.

The owner has more or less finished building the salt lake track and probably doesn't need the headache of CDR anylonger.

before Miller Motorsports was even an idea, he was going to build up CDR with a cobra museum and everything. City council shot it down 3 years in a row and (I don't blame him) but the owner walked and built Miller Motorsports instead.

I'm hearing that cement barriers are now across the track and its gone...

stromberg.gif mad.gif
brant
discussion about CDR
shelby/914
I confirmed with friends with connections to the Miller group, that the track has been sold and is closed. Do not know what the new owners plans are for the land. But, with an exit on I25, do I smell shopping center??? Condos??????????? like we need more of each.
jsteele22

Well Brant, at least there's still no gate at the entrance to Garden of the Gods. Some people claim that it's most enjoyable after dark. driving.gif
Dan_F
Garden of the Gods is awesome. I was down there last year for PPIHC as crew on the Mach 2 Racing Ford RS200 driven by Stig Blomqvist and one night a local girl took us for a drive through there... scariest ride ever.
I've heard that Pikes Peak is being paved all the way this year and the race might stop. Is that true?

Sorry for the hijack
jsteele22
I don't have any solid info , but yes I do recall hearing that Pikes Peak Hwy is going to be paved. Pretty sure this came from the forest service over concerns about erosion. No idea if this means the race is gonna stop - it would still be an awesome drive.
sjhowitson
I may have missed something, but did they close PPIR for ever or was it just sold?
jhadler
QUOTE (sjhowitson @ Nov 17 2005, 10:38 AM)
I may have missed something, but did they close PPIR for ever or was it just sold?

PPIR was bought, and the contract stipulates that the site cannot be used for motorsports activity.

That part is -fact-.

The rumor part is that there is some work to change to wording to "professional motorsports". Which would still allow club use... But that's just rumor and speculation.

Yeah, it's bleak.

3 tracks gone in one month... And Mead was jsut 20 minutes from my door... Damn...

Okay, so Mead wasn't that safe for wheel to wheel, and the surface could have used some improvements. But geez, with the loss of SCR and PPIR, that site was looking to get booked for every single weekend in '06. We had six confirmed dates for SCCA Time Trials in '06...

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

It'll be sad to announce the end of the '06 season before it even starts...

Raise your drinks to racing!! The track is gone, long live the track!!!

drunk.gif

-Josh2
Mueller
that sucks....I remember when they closed the Baylands Raceway Park in Fremont, dirt circle racing and drag racing.

I had just bought a Mustang 5.0 to turn into a 1/4 mile car when they announced the closure.....

guess what, yep, it's a shopping center more or less headbang.gif
jsteele22
In the case of PPIR, the folks who bought it (don't know the name) are in the business of operating race tracks. Their decision to close PPIR was (at least was claimed to be) a totoal shock to the folks who sold it. The speculation is that from a business point of view, PPIR is too far from Denver to draw a sufficient crowd, and yet too close to merit investing in a new track closer to Denver. So by shutting down PPIR they are (un)paving the way for developing a new track "up North". Has anyone heard anything about new tracks being planned ?
brant
I certainly am not "in the know" so my info is no better than anyone else's theorys...

but regarding PPIR..
the arguement of unpaving the way for new tracks is not the arguement that I heard.

the arguement that I've heard is that the new owners wanted the busch race date that PPIR held.

so they bought the track to move the race date and could care less about denver, or colorado, or any new track....
(the loss of PPIR's roadracing asphalt to us enthusiasts, is just a financially inconsequential friendly-fire casualty)

there is no new oval track anywhere in the state under consideration (to my knowledge)

The owners also moved all of the grandstands and equiptment to one of there existing locations.
Probably the one they are moving the busch date too, since they likely will need more seats for that event.

thats the way I've heard it anyways Jeff....

BMartin914
This SUCKS! dry.gif
Coogie
O.K. here's an idea........................

With PCA help, or through a private company. Collect a fund......to build a new track. Maybe some private or public company would be interested in opening one and plastering their logo everywhere?

I think enough support could be found, to raise funds, to place a bid on some land that could be used for it. I also don't think there are too many companies that wouldn't mind the opportunity to have their name on a sponsored track.

It's just a thought. To keep Colorado racing hard! driving.gif
jhadler
QUOTE (Coogie @ Nov 18 2005, 01:18 AM)

With PCA help, or through a private company. Collect a fund......to build a new track. Maybe some private or public company would be interested in opening one and plastering their logo everywhere?

I think enough support could be found, to raise funds, to place a bid on some land that could be used for it. I also don't think there are too many companies that wouldn't mind the opportunity to have their name on a sponsored track.

It's just a thought. To keep Colorado racing hard! driving.gif

Sombody hasn't been paying too close attention to the local racetrack world have they? wink.gif

Yes, that was in the works for YEARS. It was the orriginal CAMP proposal (Colorado Amatuer Motorsports Park). They even had a site chosen, and a track designed. The -problem- was that it a commitee made up of all of the local major car clubs. Getting club members to pony up $2M for the 50% needed to START the project is partly what killed it that time.

Now, a private investor has stepped up the plate and is fronting the bill. The problem with a privately owned track, is that the local clubs DO NOT have much of a say in how it will be built, or run for that matter...

Still, it's gonna be AT LEAST a year before a green flag, probably longer...

Go here to see the satus of CAMP (Now CAMA)...

www.camplaps.org

-Josh2
BMartin914
QUOTE (jhadler @ Nov 18 2005, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE (Coogie @ Nov 18 2005, 01:18 AM)

With PCA help, or through a private company.  Collect a fund......to build a new track.  Maybe some private or public company would be interested in opening one and plastering their logo everywhere?  

I think enough support could be found, to raise funds, to place a bid on some land that could be used for it.  I also don't think there are too many companies that wouldn't mind the opportunity  to have their name on a sponsored track.

It's just a thought.  To keep Colorado racing hard!        :driving:

Sombody hasn't been paying too close attention to the local racetrack world have they? wink.gif

Yes, that was in the works for YEARS. It was the orriginal CAMP proposal (Colorado Amatuer Motorsports Park). They even had a site chosen, and a track designed. The -problem- was that it a commitee made up of all of the local major car clubs. Getting club members to pony up $2M for the 50% needed to START the project is partly what killed it that time.

Now, a private investor has stepped up the plate and is fronting the bill. The problem with a privately owned track, is that the local clubs DO NOT have much of a say in how it will be built, or run for that matter...

Still, it's gonna be AT LEAST a year before a green flag, probably longer...

Go here to see the satus of CAMP (Now CAMA)...

www.camplaps.org

-Josh2

No, somebody hasn't. Damn lurkers... biggrin.gif
TROJANMAN
how profitable is it to open a track? maybe i'll build one idea.gif
brant
Greg...

completely not profitable.
thats the problem
(of course if you charged 300 per car instead of 100 per car you could probably break even)

brant

TROJANMAN
guess i won't be needing that 944

don't be surprised if it costs more to race at the 2 existing tracks. suppy and demand.......
brant
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Nov 18 2005, 03:54 PM)
guess i won't be needing that 944

don't be surprised if it costs more to race at the 2 existing tracks. suppy and demand.......

I agree completely.. and have even been discussing this with my dad this week.

I imagine the existing tracks will stay about the same since they are both run by city entities and are not strictly businesses for profit...

BUT:
I fully expect that people are going to have a hard time swallowing the entry fee's of the newly built tracks that are coming....

new construction and new paving cost a lot more than they did 20 years ago (when old tracks were built)

I suspect that Miller, Hasings, and the new CMC track will all be about 100$ more per entry fee than the colorado folk are used to seeing...

I guess this is where we cry and reminisce about the "good ole days"

brant
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (brant @ Nov 18 2005, 03:07 PM)

you mean bob? biggrin.gif
brant
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Nov 19 2005, 12:06 AM)

Yep.. one and the same!

So i'm going to hijack this thread slightly...

I want to organize and COLORADO 914 track event.

I'm leaning towards a la junta event in june-ish or july.
this will involve an overnight, but be as inexpensive as possible.
A large meal or barbque will be part of it.
I'm guessing 150$-ish for 2 days of track time, possibley food and lodging
(it could be an extra 10 bucks and include beer too)

and I'm thinking that I can wrangel 8-10 teener into this.

who is in?

come on folks...
anne up...
motivate me!

brant
Coogie
Take foot. Insert into mouth.

I feel a little like an dead horse.gif you get it!

I think it sounds like a great idea Brant. If only I had $3000 to buy my own. biggrin.gif

TROJANMAN
QUOTE (brant @ Nov 18 2005, 11:22 PM)
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Nov 19 2005, 12:06 AM)

Yep.. one and the same!

i think that's the first time i've heard you call him dad. i think we are making some break throughs........... laugh.gif

and i guess i'm in for a colorado track event. too bad ferg doesn't have a track worthy 914........... poke.gif
johnmhudson111
I have begun to hear about a number of racing country clubs like this one. It seems like an interesting idea that is gaining popularity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.