Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What have people paid to repair Hell Holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snflupigus
Just curious... What have others paid to have this area fixed and what was actually needed/done.

Nic
Bleyseng
paid? we are too cheap to have others work on our cars and we would rather burn,cut, and otherwise have all the fun instead of paying a professional to do it.
McMark
It's all very very dependant on the amount of damage. I would think with the motor out of the car and all the parts ready to go that $500 would cover all but the worst cases. Of course I'm one of the spoiled CA people.
r_towle
QUOTE (McMark @ Nov 17 2005, 12:31 AM)
It's all very very dependant on the amount of damage. I would think with the motor out of the car and all the parts ready to go that $500 would cover all but the worst cases. Of course I'm one of the spoiled CA people.

Arizona cant be as bad as here...

but 500 would not even get you the appointment on this coast...seriously...

But, our problems are usually ignored for way to long and they are pretty extensive once you take a close look...

I would say get an estimate...if your close enough to McMark,let him do it...or find someone who is good with these cars...

Rich
bd1308
I had a guy in louisville that wanted me to pay him 700 to have him do suspension console repairs only.....even though my suspension console is fine (so far)

Gint
You don't really want to know... wacko.gif blink.gif
MecGen
Hey
Love the Chalon...is it yours ?

This type of question pops up every now and again and its a good one. I think there is only a couple of us, that own a body shop.

Rust = $$$
No ifs-ands-buts- about it. How picky are you? What kind of materials? Sand blast? Material is gonna kill you. I spent more the 500$ on materials alone for my inside tub.

Ruff work is easier to do and any QUALFIED bodyman should come out on top, compared to a inexperienced owner. medium finishing, like welding joints full, is huge time eater, again a payed qualified Bodyman is the best bang for your buck.
Off the top of my head....bad hell hole, tray shelf, cosole...
prep, paint....2000$
This is not a subliminal info-mercial, I don't work on 914 any more. I always fall in love with the car and go overkill, and end up working for nothing... headbang.gif

Later

beer.gif
morph
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Nov 16 2005, 09:18 PM)
paid? we are too cheap to have others work on our cars and we would rather burn,cut, and otherwise have all the fun instead of paying a professional to do it.

agree.gif

i laughed my ass off when i was reading that, but its true.most members work on there own cars.i do it because i enjoy the feeling of "i did it"
james
Bleyseng
I'd say $500-1000 easy. Its alot of messy work in small tight spaces (both sides!) Now if you removed the rear fender it would be waay easier!
Mark Henry
It's the unseen damage that can hurt the pocket book.

I don't do 914's... just bugs, busses and ghia's, on a full resto I tell people that unseen damage is extra. I've had guys abandon resto projects (losing their deposits and/or cars) because we found a can of worms.

I lose some jobs but I don't want to deal with those guys (cheapo's or shitboxes) anyways.
snflupigus
Yup, thats my chalon... Thanks. Although some of the fiberglass seams are starting to pop/crack so its time for a paint i guess. tough to notice from 10 feet away though.

More pics...
http://www.snflupigus.com/914issues/914issues.htm

www.snflupigus.com/914.htm

I realize this question gets asked a lot, so my approach here was to see if anyone had actual repair order receipts etc... showing the costs of labor/parts for their particular job so I could ballpark when i go to have it done. As much as i love doing things myself, i know enough to know that this is WAY past my abilities. My assumption before posting was that to have all done correctly would cost roughly 1000 in parts (700 for new metal plus other misc) and 1500 in labor... and as we all know this would of course equal about 3000 somehow magically with 914 multiplication powers. smile.gif

so before you really look at these gross pictures... does anyone have actual labor rates they have paid or parts costs for the inner wheel house, suspension console, firewall, etc...

Recomendations of a resto shop in Arizona

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

nomore9one4
QUOTE (morphenspectra @ Nov 17 2005, 06:16 AM)
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Nov 16 2005, 09:18 PM)

agree.gif

i laughed my ass off when i was reading that, but its true.most members work on there own cars.i do it because i enjoy the feeling of "i did it"
james

Perfectly said!! rolleyes.gif
McMark
Definitely not a $500 project. sad.gif

Maybe $1000-$1500.
Bleyseng
not too bad.
Cost depends on how nice you want it to look when done. Completely butt welded and smooth so it looks factory again? $2500
Metal lapped over and seam stitched and ground down for primed painting-$750-1000
scotty b
QUOTE (MecGen @ Nov 17 2005, 05:53 AM)
I always fall in love with the car and go overkill, and end up working for nothing... headbang.gif

Later

beer.gif

laugh.gif I agree, that's why I'm werking on Fiats and Alfa Romeos now. I've got no love for them so I don't care what it costs the customer! I can't afford one of the Abarths or Maseratis sad.gif Plus I werk for someone else now so I don't get the guilt trip from them when they get the bill blink.gif I would concur on the 2000.00 price though. I'm doing one for my dad right now and it has gotten pretty damn bad.
Grimstead
I had a great welder (Joe George) come out and take care of my Hell Hole along with some other repairs and and it cost me a little over $400 (or $50/Hr). He was well worth it, check out my Blog for pictures.
aveale
i paid 3500$ CDN (approx $3k U.S.) to have both longs done and the hell hole fixed up.

40hrs of work plus materials. I took the engine out and replaced myself.

GREAT job done by a guy outside of toronto (mike's 914s).

definately serious cash but worth it.........

T
YoungCC
A local race/restoration fabricator was paid $5000 for the last hell hole job he did. His price might seem high to some, but he is the real deal. Actual race cars in the shop for race related repairs, along with customs and street rods. Pieces he can't get he fabricates in steel, aluminum, and carbon-fiber. When I asked him for a quote, he said $3000 with the engine out of the car and that he's backed up for months.

I'm facing a major hell hole repair, now including the rear suspension on right side. #P318 from the Restoration Design catalog. I can TIG and do simple fabrication, so the hell hole sheet metal is really a non-issue. The real work is correctly replacing the suspension console for the right trailing arm.

The problem is that I can't find a source for these parts. I've been told that Pelican and others are no longer selling the Reproduction Design steel because of order fulfilment problems.

I ordered a hell hole kit from EngMan, which was nicely made, and shipped ASAP. (Thanks EngMan) But when I finished cutting away all the rust and pin-holed steel, the inner fender panel hole was bigger than the repair panel.

I've removed the top from the right longitudinal in the engine compartment, and the inner most layer of steel is still good. But the other 3, 4, 5 or more layers of steel wrapped around the longitudinal behind the engine mount bracket are rusted and gone.

Does anybody know who actually has the engine mount and suspension console for the right side in stock?

If not, has anybody successfully fabricated a replacment for the stock suspension console?

Failing that, does anyone know if there is an upgraded console that I can buy for both sides of the car?

A used console in good condition is another option, but I don't know of any sources? Anybody have some?

Thanks for any responses. I'll keep searching the forums for related info.

Chris
davep
If someone is desperate, I do have a console available. I was planning on keeping it "just in case". I'd hate to see anyone stuck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.